Your beach open?

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by Troy70, Apr 25, 2020.

1. Trojack

Trojack Junior Member

May 1, 2020
    I'm still trying to wrap my head around the demise of Walt's. If I was given my choice of my last meal on earth, I would opt for the Seal Beach Caesar. As far as Sweet Jill's, you have to make sure you are arriving just when they are taking the cinnamon rolls out of the oven. After they've been sitting out, they begin to taste like Cinnabon wannabes. Bistro St. Germain is where it's at if you are looking for comfort food in Seal Beach.

2. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

May 1, 2020
    Who said anything about government sabotage? The issues were very clearly laid out today in the writ provided by 3 complainants against Governor Newsom.

Not only is there no scientific data to support the directive closing Orange County beaches but there is no state or federal constitutional support for it.

Great, so do I. That wasn't the point. The Gadsden flag preceded our current American Flag. There was no reason to call it bullshit other than political positioning.

Last edited: May 1, 2020
    CrownoftheValley and Rodgarnay51 like this.
  3. SC ForLife

SC ForLife Junior Member

May 1, 2020
    They are blocking off the strand with K rails. I'm assuming that this is on the County portion of Huntington Beach.

4. Tod78

Tod78 Junior Member

May 1, 2020
    Bistro St. Germaine is awesome, but I’m still partial to O’Malley’s. Don’t forget Old Town Cafe for breakfast. Schooner or Later in the Marin is pretty good if you don’t mind a two hour wait. I get takeout and eat on the boat.

5. Trojack

Trojack Junior Member

May 2, 2020
    I miss the hell out of Old Town Seal Beach but when it came time for me to stop renting there and buy my first place (1980), there wasn't a lot to choose from in the 1-2 BR condo market. To me, a lot of the luster of Old Town went away when they closed John's Food King Market. Oh what fond memories of getting off a hard day's work and going to their butcher department and ordering up a custom-cut steak. Growing up in Long Beach, we always looked down on Seal Beach but once you actually live there, there is no place else.

Closing Walt's was a dagger in my heart but from what some of the employees there told me, it was just a matter of time before Walt's surviving family ran the place into the ground. For them, COVID came at just the right time.

6. DaFireMedic

DaFireMedic Junior Member

May 2, 2020
    I like Norms on Harbor Blvd, except I think that’s Costa Mesa... ;)

VegasPlayer likes this.
  7. KeenObserver

KeenObserver Junior Member

May 2, 2020
    Guy totally tipped his hand with the vitriol.

Rodgarnay51 likes this.
  8. VegasPlayer

VegasPlayer Junior Member

May 2, 2020
    My dad and I would go there sometimes after bowling at Kona Lanes for a late breakfast back in the day.

DaFireMedic likes this.
  9. AMLTrojan

AMLTrojan Junior Member

May 2, 2020
    The concern about schools was not that kids themselves were affected much, but that they're a vector to more vulnerable groups because of how quickly they spread germs among each other and then take that home. A simple anecdote: my two-year old nephew is constantly sick. Been that way since my sister ended maternity leave and started relying on daycare. Once his daycare closed and my sister started working from home, he's been completely healthy.

That said, I believe school districts and universities should have made the decision to close, not been forced to close by the governor as they were in my state.

Troy70 likes this.
  10. Lucky

Lucky Points Member

May 2, 2020
    There is also the reality that the kids aren't the only occupants of a school. There are teachers and staff of all types and the kids are vectors , asymptomatic carriers who will pass it along at home as will all the employees.

11. 3rd Slide

3rd Slide Junior Member

May 2, 2020
    They’re total virus breeding grounds, but understand that’s what will develop their immunity systems. I’m not a doctor, but I wonder if withholding that does kids a disservice?

12. Troy70

Troy70 Junior Member

May 2, 2020
    Hang Out for Wednesday special Fish & Chips.

Tod78 likes this.
  13. Rodgarnay51

Rodgarnay51 Junior Member

May 2, 2020
    The mayor of Newport Beach is none to happy with good ol' Gavin. Nor am I. This is must-see, IMO.
    https://video.foxnews.com/v/6153568198001#sp=show-clips

Troy70, VegasPlayer and 3rd Slide like this.
  14. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

May 2, 2020
    IMO, this was really the primary reason for shutting the schools down. No way the teacher's union would allow them to work with that much contact.

My kid's pediatrician was a Trojan and virologist. He told me that kids get sick every 6 weeks on average. Imagine how that festers a virus at a high school with 2-3 thousand kids.

Monday will be interesting. Bruin judge who blocked HB's request for an emergency TRO is set to hear the complaint for an injunction. HB and Dana Point are on board. Newport and San Clemente are meeting this weekend to decide if they want on too.

And the Mayor was spot on. Absolutely ridiculous that he nor any other mayor in OC was contacted by Newsom.

OC2SC, Troy70, Rodgarnay51 and 2 others like this.
  15. denali15

denali15 Points Member

May 3, 2020
    My ex-principal wife and many of her teacher friends would disagree. Her old district--Clovis Unified--had a good protocol. elementary teachers supervised/taught good hand washing technique, decent spacing in the classroom...the kids were safer there than at home--and so were the parents. Instead, we cloister kids with at-risk grandparents (in many cases) as parents are at work.

Kids don't get sick from this, they don't really pass it on (because the virus doesn't take hold)...and this can't go away until the herd emerges. All we're doing now is putting the pandemic on hold, to re-emerge later when we're back to normal.

Closing grammar schools was stupid,

brand56 and CrownoftheValley like this.
  16. KeenObserver

KeenObserver Junior Member

May 3, 2020
    Well done!

17. Troy70

Troy70 Junior Member

May 3, 2020
    He knew it was best for us to release killers cause they were teenagers when they killed. We are screwed now if his power grab