Your beach open?

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by Troy70, Apr 25, 2020.

1. KeenObserver

KeenObserver Junior Member

Apr 27, 2020
    The Bay Area extended to June 1--WHY?

I live in Alameda County 48 deaths including Oakland--almost all in nursing homes. Probably half are folks that would have died this year of another morbidity. Is this sound science? Is the curve flat yet?

2. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Apr 27, 2020
    For mental and well-being of the 99% of people who DON'T have the virus? Yes. What's selfish is expecting EVERYONE to give up basic freedom so that the known high-risk among us can sit at home as much as they like. Have you been this concerned about the national health crises known as obesity, diabetes, hypertension, and cancer? How many of those and related deaths were caused by food/products sold to the American public and APPROVED by the government?

Pretty much everyone can skip the mall. However, beaches and parks are public property. We pay taxes and should not be denied access. The greater purpose for ALL can be served by the old, obese, diabetic, hypertensive, cancer survivors staying at home while those who are NOT high risk can get the economy going again to help avoid further unemployment, homelessness, domestic violence, depression, alcoholism, drug addiction, etc.

Is the greater good being served when K-12 kids are receiving less than adequate online education and their parents are struggling and stressed as a result? How are those households faring? Might some stress and potentially dangerous situations be avoided if those families take a friggin day at the beach? By your own admission, YOU haven't gone so you have nothing to back up your position. I have been to the beach. There was far more room and social distancing going on than at any grocery store or retail location still serving the public.

The cases are lower mostly because the forecasts were WRONG. And secondly, because some models were based on New York which has 50% of the cases and they basically live on top of each other. Social distancing is NOT the cause for lower numbers. I don't care if GoSC or the Pope said it.

I've yet to see anyone with your same opinion address any of the other dire consequences of staying inside. Domestic violence is up by 30-40%. Shelters don't have room due to social distancing. Calls to 911 are down 30-40% because people are choosing to suffer at home rather than risk getting the virus at the hospital. People are beginning to act out on their frustration and depression. Parents who are now at home, maybe without a job (50+% of the LA population is without work), having to home school, no way to pay their bills are bearing the stress of it. The body begins to breakdown internally at some point. And you're okay with all that?

Minimum wage workers are making more for the next few months with unemployment and the bailout than if they went back to work. Just because that isn't you, doesn't make it a non-voting or non-existent group.

BTW, 40% of all "covid" deaths in LA County (which has 25% of the state's population) are from nursing homes. I'm guessing those folks aren't hitting the beach any time soon.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2020
    CrownoftheValley and AMLTrojan like this.
  3. 3rd Slide

3rd Slide Junior Member

Apr 27, 2020
    FIFY. The numbers are only starting to come in and they're fall off the cliff bad. I'm seeing forecasts for deflation lasting 5 to 7 years. It's going to get ugly, real ugly.

4. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Apr 27, 2020
    I'm so proud that this is the economy being handed to my children.

CrownoftheValley likes this.
  5. KeenObserver

Apr 27, 2020
    But hey, at least you didn't get mild Covid symptoms.

3rd Slide likes this.
  6. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Apr 27, 2020
    "According to a recent study by the Kaiser Family Foundation, nearly half (45 percent) of adults in the United States reported that their mental health has been negatively impacted due to worry and stress over COVID-19 with the burden likely to continue even as the pandemic’s threat diminishes."

But let's stay locked in and avoid very low risk activities which reduce stress and anxiety.

7. KeenObserver

Apr 27, 2020
    Wait until the looting starts

AMLTrojan likes this.
  8. Cyrus

Cyrus Junior Member

Apr 27, 2020
    I don’t know about the beach but I heard Poliwog park in Manhattan Beach is now open.

9. Lucky

Lucky Points Member

Apr 27, 2020
    When and where did I say that?

10. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Apr 27, 2020
    The daily case rate is going up because of the testing, not because of transmission.

11. Lucky

Lucky Points Member

Apr 27, 2020
    I read his his quotes and and saw what he was asking people to do . He didn't have much choice given the collapse of the oil industry but even there he isn't doing this as fast or as aggressively as a portion of the populace wants it done. I believe that assuming the case rates are dropping in California by May 15 this is close to what things will look like here.

12. 3rd Slide

3rd Slide Junior Member

Apr 27, 2020
    In nearly all of your posts, lol.

13. KeenObserver

Apr 27, 2020
    Nope, that is not what is going to happen. We will be the last state open.

14. 3rd Slide

3rd Slide Junior Member

Apr 27, 2020
    Fyi, I haven’t checked the numbers for California, but LA County’s are going down, not up.

15. Lucky

Lucky Points Member

Apr 27, 2020
    Weak effort at deflection but keep trying.

16. 3rd Slide

3rd Slide Junior Member

Apr 28, 2020
    Nice place for a swim, lol.