Young Americans Know Nothing About the Fourth of July

Discussion in 'MKJ Off-Topic' started by Trojan YAF, Jul 4, 2020.

2. Trojan YAF

Trojan YAF Points Member

Jul 4, 2020
    This was made two days ago. I don't know where it was shot, but I sincerely hope Trojans are better educated about our heritage than these kids.

3. old scotty

old scotty Junior Member

Jul 4, 2020
    Most are not

4. TrojanMoondoggie

TrojanMoondoggie Junior Member

Jul 4, 2020
    And I fear it isn't going to get any better.
    When I left the classroom over ten years ago I saw the writing on the wall. I already saw apathy in my students, no matter how hard I tried to invigorate the learning experience with technology and projects, etc.
    My friends who still teach say it's much worse now.
    The fact is, of course these kids will stand there and blame the teachers because that's what kids do so well today. They are so enabled and entitled that it's always someone else's fault.
    As a teacher you can only tell a kid so many times through direct instruction, reteaching and review to capitalize the first letter of a sentence, use punctuation, indent a paragraph, whatever.
    And I can't tell you how many times I would hold writing conferences with students and have them identify the problems in their writings. 9 times out of 10 they would catch their mistakes. So obviously they were taught; they knew what they were supposed to do. But when you ask them why they didn't put periods in their writing, or capitalize the word "I" for the tenth time, or indent the paragraph, or whatever, when they clearly knew they were supposed to, all you'd get is a giggle and, 'I dunno.....'
    So when they don't do it, you give them the grade they deserve.
    They either care enough to try, or they don't.
    You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink. You can give that horse a D. Or an F. And some of them just don't care.
    You can warn their parents well ahead of time, assuming the parent returns your phone call, or come in for conferences, but if there is no follow through, it becomes an impossible situation.
    With regard to this specific topic though, the fifth grade teachers I know have their own stories about teaching Social Studies. As did I when I taught fifth grade.
    How many times can you teach a kid the basics of American history, government, or geography before they get it? Or make the choice to get it. Or care.
    I know the years I taught fifth grade, they received all the content. And still you'd get to the end of the year....geography test.....ask your students, 'What is the nation's capital?' And what do you get? 'Um......Sacramento?'
    Then some other kids chime in, 'No! That's the capital of California! It's Washington D.C.!'
    There will always be kids who just don't care enough to retain such things, even those things that to the rest of us are obvious. Basic facts about the USA, included.
    When you get in the classroom and see the apathy, it's terribly discouraging.
    I'm not surprised in the least that girl didn't know the answer, and that she blamed her teachers.
    She's been told by society, maybe her parents, the media, whoever.....'It's okay, baby. It's not your fault.'
    And then society buys into it. Society believes that young adult, and then automatically blames the teacher.
    Being a teacher who is trying to do the right thing, make their kids accountable, teach them something, only to see that apathy, is just as frustrating as we conservatives who are trying to deal with this liberal nonsense. Frustrating as hell.
    If you visit most any 5th grade class you'll see evidence of American history. The colonies, the Revolutionary War, US government.
    If you visit most any primary elementary class during February, you'll see artwork pertaining to Lincoln and Washington.
    If you're in a year round district, you'll see evidence of July 4th in and around the school.
    It is being taught.
    Whether kids choose to remember it or not is up to them. You can only grade them while they're in your class. Once they leave, it's up to them. Sadly, to many of them it isn't important.
    Are there lousy teachers out there? Yes. But from my experience as a teacher, they're not such a widespread problem that it would be creating some national crisis.
    The real problem is in the entitlement and enabling of people nowadays, including children.

Troianus Acies likes this.
  5. VM805

VM805 Junior Member

Jul 5, 2020
    America has some dumbass young people and these kids are a facking joke for blaming their teachers because their brains cannot retain basic American history. I'll bet they know what Kylie Jenner ate for breakfast last year, smh. This country is f**ked.

6. Trojan YAF

Trojan YAF Points Member

Jul 5, 2020
    These kids sound like the millennials described by Jean Twenge in her book iGen: Why Today's Super-Connected Kids Are Growing Up Less Rebellious, More Tolerant, Less Happy--And Completely Unprepared for Adulthood: And What That Means for the REst of Us (New York: Atria, 2018). She also did a study of the narcissism that permeates out younger generation in The Narcissism Epidemic (New York: Atria, 2014).

However, many children of recent immigrants from East, Southeast and South Asia are a notable exception, as their goal is HYP--getting into Harvard, Yale or Princeton. They can be found in Starbucks at midnight holding bull sessions.

7. TroyBill

TroyBill Junior Member

Jul 5, 2020
    These kids do not know much by the time they reach this age it appears. That is why it is so easy for liberal professors to fill the vacuum that exist between their ears with bullshit. As soon as the libs took over our universities things went to shit. In a few years with Folt's guidance USC will look more like Evergeeen State.

Trojan YAF and Troianus Acies like this.
  8. FIGHTONSC

FIGHTONSC Junior Member

WeAreSc Member
    Jul 5, 2020
    Makes you wonder how stupid the parents were who spawned these geniuses???

Now we know just how little education is required to actually make a liberal!

Last edited: Jul 5, 2020
    Trojan YAF and Troianus Acies like this.
  9. TrojanMoondoggie

TrojanMoondoggie Junior Member

Jul 5, 2020
    And sorry, guys. I don't mean to always go into these pro-teacher diatribes. I don't mean to be defensive. Having done it though I know it's tough. And there is always another side of the coin that people don't see.

Again, are there lousy teachers? Sure. I had them. Earning their paychecks. Passing out "packets," etc. But I still learned.

And as for these kids, even the most passive of learners should know basic facts about their country. Hell, they get US history in 5th, 8th and 11th grade. If they still can't tell you which war was fought for our freedoms and can't even narrow it down to a century, it's more than the teacher.

But then again, you can ask kids like this who the POTUS is at any given time and they don't know. More so, the VP. They don't know. (Well, maybe they do now because DT is front and center a lot....same with BO). And these names are in front of them ALL THE TIME!

Now, do I have problems with education? I sure do. The liberal takeover is certainly disconcerting. But I went to school in the 70s. I had left-leaning teachers a lot. And I remember my parents telling me that there will be some you can debate, and some you can't. For those you can't, tell them what they want to hear, get your A, and move on. They certainly weren't changing my mind. And if one has strong parents they won't. Because kids will usually mimic what their parents say early on at that age.

When I was teaching you could tell where the parents stood just by the way the kids acted when you said the names, GWB or BO. And 80% of the time where I worked, GWB would get hisses, BO got high fives, when their names were mentioned. I wasn't going to change their minds anymore than my liberal teachers changed mine.

Discipline is also a REAL problem. Kids need structure. They need behavioral guidance. Many of them come to you with no social skills whatsoever, and no discipline. Parents don't back you up, so you often feel helpless when you have a challenging student. And when a liberal education system makes the words "detention," "suspension," and "expulsion" bad words, you're really helpless.

So, yes. I totally blame the liberal approach to discipline our biggest problem in schools. Kids need accountability. A lot of them are not getting it at home. If we don't teach it in the schools and hold them accountable, they're not getting it anywhere. Somebody has to step up.

But many of you are right. This kind of approach spawns more liberals than it does conservatives. Because we know which of the two political philosophies stands for accountability. And it "ain't" the former. And this is why I tell my teacher friends that as long as Democrats are in charge, it isn't going to improve. Teachers are the ones in the trenches and have to deal with it every day, not the liberal ivory tower people. Teachers are frustrated with having their hands tied. So do something about it. In the voting booth.

Off my pedestal now.

10. Troianus Acies

Troianus Acies Junior Member

Jul 5, 2020

The left is hell bent on destroying the family unit which is in part what you are stating is lacking (parental guidance and control) with school age children.

The liberal education system has no problem letting their counselors promote the idea that "you do not have to tell your parents" scenario and are over zealous when they can report any suspected parental wrong doing to authorities. They also demand students be drugged to counter the continual litany of A.B.C. learning disorders proclaimed by over eager psychologists who need a published grand thesis. Also, parents do not need to be told that their child is seeking abortion or even the fact that their child is pregnant when a counselor is totally informed of the situation.

The EARLY sex education classes and condum use sessions are not showing the intended outcome. The LGBTQ, BLM, and other political minority groups get extra treatment while the majority of traditional family units and the strength of family gets very little attention. Add to this the 57 genders nonsense and bathrooms that are gender neutral and you have a real confusing scenario for young easily influenced minds.

The argument can be made in many ways why our education system is in the toilet and the cause of this can be blamed on more than one issue. However, NOTHING is being done within the system to find a way back to the great education system this country once had. That is why education vouchers (that can only be used for schooling) should be approved for ALL families to be used to choose whatever school they wish to send their children to. This would be one hell of a good start. This would eliminate the political (terrible over spending for the wrong things) influence and control on schools by government backed unions and crazy tenure clauses.

MONEY, the almighty dollar, will cause educational institutions, public or private, to gear up and provide the A.B.C.'s, REAL history, math, sciences, and other useful curriculum to make the student the best they can be as well as good citizens that understand their countries history. The institutions and schools that do not measure up will be eliminated by the fact that their performance would be linked to their income and survival. I also firmly believe that the true apolitical and unbiased educators (teachers) out there will finally be unleashed to provide their best and give their pupils what they have always wanted to give them...an education, not an indoctrination.

11. Peete2Affholter

Peete2Affholter Junior Member

Jul 5, 2020
    Lol. Dumbassed kids are nothing new.

I remember back when I was in grade school, there used to be a early Saturday morning show called "KidQuiz" which pitted teams of 5 kids from local area elementary schools in trivia contests.

Most of the questions were of topics you'd expect any halfway-educated 10 year old would know (or so I thought). Things like, "What year was the Declaration of independence signed?" or "Who was the 16th president of the USA?"

I used to scream at the TV because, as a history nerd, I could probably smoke both teams combined. It would amaze me when the kids would be looking at each other in puzzlement when asked "How many stars are on the US flag?"

OTOH, they were spot-on when there were any pop-culture questions, of which I was wholly ignorant. They could easily answer questions like, "Name the 3rd track on AC/DC's second album and how many copies it sold and what was its highest position in the Top 40 charts?"

So - kids aren't dumb, per se. They just don't care to learn information that doesn't immediately benefit them. I mean, other than impress some friends when playing Trivial Pursuit, it's not like my knowledge of obscure factoids has helped me land a job, or date a girl, or things I'd consider of real importance.

Trojan YAF likes this.
  12. Ridge Rider

Ridge Rider Points Member

Jul 5, 2020
    So the one teacher proudly announces that she skips the curriculum and teaches her students what she believes is contemporary truth, when it is simply Marxist revisionist history.
    When listening to these kids, it is an abomination what kind of education they are getting.
    They know nothing of Trenton, Princeton, or the Conway / Lee plot, etc. Yet they gleefully want to pull down statues of Washington?

Troianus Acies likes this.
  13. Troianus Acies

Troianus Acies Junior Member

Jul 5, 2020

EDUCATION IS NOT ABOUT WHAT ONE LIKES OR DOES NOT LIKE. IT IS THE TRAINING OF THE MIND TO EXPLORE ALL FACETS OF LIFE AND TO INVESTIGATE THE VARIOUS IDEOLOGIES AND POINTS OF VIEW THAT THEY WILL BE ASKED TO ACCEPT OR ADHERE TO AS THEY MATURE. (Sorry the caps button got stuck).

Education across a varied platform of subject matter gives the student many avenues of study to consider which will assist the student at choosing a profession, trade or line of work that he is best suited for and enjoys. It also is a good exercise in the discipline of the mind that makes a student question what he encounters through life instead of accepting what ever is presented to him as a choice without substance or facts to support it.

If students were allowed to learn only what appealed to them and ignore the rest, we would have a group of non productive thinkers unable to problem solve and unable to logically arrive at a researched conclusion. Of course, the failed student would blame the education system since the current culture does not believe that one has to actually be responsible for their actions. Just ask B.L.M., Antifa, O.F.A., and similar ignorant, useless, organizations.