Woman gored by bison

Discussion in 'MKJ Off-Topic' started by flyfishintrojan, Jun 30, 2020.

1. Woman gored by bison
    flyfishintrojan

flyfishintrojan Junior Member

Jun 30, 2020
    https://www.foxnews.com/great-outdoors/california-woman-gored-bison-yellowstone-national-park-photos

There is no cure for stupid. I am around a lot of wildlife, elk, bison, see lots of mountain lion kills ( but not the lions themselves, just glimpses) and I give them a wide ass berth. My wife had a rogue bull elk tear a 2 foot rip hole in the side panel of her car when by circumstance she drove between the bull and its harem. My fishing buddy got threatened by a bull bison when he walked too near a bison harem.

It isn’t common for animals to be threats but the odds are not zero.

SoCalN8tiv likes this.

2. August West

August West Points Member

Jun 30, 2020
    Darwin Award finalist.

SoCalN8tiv likes this.
  3. TrojanHorse

TrojanHorse Junior Member

Jun 30, 2020
    I was just in Yellowstone. It would never occur to me to walk up to a wild animal--especially one that outweighs me by 10-20 times.

Ten feet is ridiculously close. 72 is not that old "usually," but perhaps she has some impairment that did not allow her what should have been an obvious internal sense of fear in that situation.

SoCalN8tiv likes this.
  4. Jpltrojan

Jpltrojan Junior Member

Jun 30, 2020
    I’m watching Yellowstone. Other than backpacking in Northern Canada about 40 years ago that’s as close as I get.

SoCalN8tiv likes this.
  5. SoCalN8tiv

SoCalN8tiv Junior Member

Jun 30, 2020
    Bison are remarkably quick, fast, and agile. No human on earth can outmaneuver or outrun a Bison. Stay far far away as possible and use a telephoto lens. Oh there have been plenty of tourists stomped into cranberry jelly by one of those big ass suckers in Yellowstone.

The Park currently sits above a hot spot hence all the geologic thermal activity. There are a few theories that it's an enormous caldera super-volcano with the potential to erupt violently and effectively end most of all life in North America and plunge the planet into a deep freeze...so I've heard and read about. FYI, the Idaho Columbia Plateau once sat above that same hot spot but has moved farther west of where Wyoming now sits.

https://www.usgs.gov/faqs/what-would-happen-if-a-supervolcano-eruption-occurred-again-yellowstone

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020
  6. SouthbayTrojan91

SouthbayTrojan91 Junior Member

Jun 30, 2020
    Last time i was in Yellowstone, I was amazed at the idiots that would get out and walk up to Bison to take pics.
    One particular stupid lady walked about 100 yards from the rode to get a photo of a Bison and its calf.

I am sure blast will be around to call me a racist, but on this trip, every single one of the people I saw doing that shit appeared to be Chinese and 90% were women.

SoCalN8tiv likes this.
  7. SoCalN8tiv

SoCalN8tiv Junior Member

Jun 30, 2020
    Check this out from last year. Dayum! Flying child! Hmmm, is she Chinese?

SouthbayTrojan91 likes this.
  8. 901 Club

901 Club Junior Member

WeAreSc Member
    Jun 30, 2020
    I remember my encounter with a herd not far from campus...

[​IMG]

SouthbayTrojan91, DJ4SC and uscernie like this.
  9. flyfishintrojan

flyfishintrojan Junior Member

Jun 30, 2020
    I believe the bison in Yellowstone are pure stock. The ones I see in Colorado are mixed with beef somehow, and are a lot smaller than the true bison. The pure stock IIRC are mean and nasty, and as N8tive said damn fast and incredibly strong. Think about it, they outlasted saber tooth cats, dire wolves, mammoths, giant sloths, a whole bunch of pre historic critters and man couldn’t out hunt them till he got firearms.

SoCalN8tiv likes this.
  10. reTiredEngr

reTiredEngr Junior Member

Jun 30, 2020
    You are talking about Asians so blast won't be calling you racist; he is pretty selective about race.

The tourists you saw were probably from China; they are among the rudest people you can find. Even the local Chinese find them rude. Now that is a racist comment!

SoCalN8tiv and SouthbayTrojan91 like this.