Will Harrell retain his job ?

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by Gold Trojan, Nov 3, 2019.

1. Will Harrell retain his job ?
    Gold Trojan

Gold Trojan Points Member

Nov 3, 2019
    New AD will look for a new HC. With that, usually comes a new DC, OC, and some position coaches.

Will Harrell be shown the door at season’s end?

2. sc85sis

sc85sis Junior Member

Nov 3, 2019
    I’m OK if he does. Graham has shown flashes of being a really good OC, but I also think he’s not quite ready for prime time. His idea of keeping things simple is good, but there’s simple and then there’s overly simplistic. We’ve often experienced the latter and opponents have taken advantage of it. His situational play calling has been questionable at times, too.

I think with more experience he’s going to be an excellent OC. But we need someone who already has it.

3. AMLTrojan

AMLTrojan Junior Member

Nov 3, 2019
    CGH has not been as good as advertised. I give him credit for identifying Slovis as our #2 and preparing him to execute when JT went down, but I just haven't seen the kind of potent offense you'd expect with the talent at his disposal.

Case in point: What was with all the bunch formation looks last night? Did that even work once for us, passing or running?

ConquerorSC likes this.
  4. uscjrl98

uscjrl98 Junior Member

Nov 3, 2019
    CHG probably should have never been hired. I have heard from good sources that clay took a page from his dads coaching philosophy. That is do not hire any assistants that are good enough to take your job. This now makes sense as to why clay would only hire family, friends and inferior coaches. Kingsbury was forced on helton and from what people close to the situation told me. helton did not want Kingsbury because he thought Kingsbury would take his job. Think about that our kids could have had better assistant coaching but helton would not do it. helton was and still is not the honorable man he conned a bunch of impressionable kids that he was. The kids parents could see right through his BS. You will start hearing a lot of things about helton now. The parents of these kids were afraid to speak because helton would bench their kid for one of his favorites. It really is this toxic.

ConquerorSC, OC2SC, Trojan12 and 4 others like this.
  5. SeattleTrojan

SeattleTrojan Junior Member

Nov 3, 2019
    No

6. TrojanDrive

TrojanDrive Junior Member

Nov 3, 2019
    I'm not impressed by Harrell. Don't let slinging the ball 40-50 times a game give one the illusion of innovation. A lot of his passing game seem to be 50/50 balls to Pittman & Vaughns.

Our D wasn't bad this year. GH should have been able to leverage our D's performance more than he did. The D even started well last night but I think the turnovers and 100 yd kickoff return broke their spirit since the offense and special teams let them down.

Also, has anyone noticed speedy Velus Jones doesn't seem to be accelerating to top speed on his returns? He seems to hesitate a bit like he's afraid of getting rocked if hits the return hole full blast. Instead, he attempts to weave his way through at 75-80% speed towards the sideline. It's little things like this chip away at the effectiveness of different parts of a team. The Belichick mindset seeks to maximize every nook and cranny of a game. That's what the best coaches do. Our staff is mediocre in so many areas.

Also, we did a poor job in how we used kenan christon last night. We tried to run him through the tackles which he isn't built to do then quickly gave up on the run completely to throw 40 times in 1st half. Maybe we should have used some jet sweeps or leaked him through the line for a quick hit short pass to see if we could get him in space. Once again, we abandoned the short game to keep slinging it which played into the loaded pass coverage that teams continue to use against us.

We could have gone into half down 21-17. Unfortunately, our coaches and players took for granted that kickoff with 20 seconds left.

No excuse for that tactical mistake of kicking deep.

Hockey10 likes this.
  7. Gjimmy

Gjimmy Junior Member

Nov 3, 2019
    that all makes sense!

Hockey10 likes this.
  8. uscjrl98

uscjrl98 Junior Member

Nov 3, 2019
    The person who told me this did not want to believe it but when helton was dead set against kingsbury they start reviewing heltons coaching hires and sure enough he would not hire a good coach for fear of losing his job to that good coach and despite what some posters have said about us not having the money. We have always had the money for good coaches it was clay who did not want anyone questioning his decisions. really sad for our kids. Real reason for helton hiring family and friends.

9. LoyalTrojan

LoyalTrojan Junior Member

Nov 3, 2019
    It’s hard to say. Year one of a totally new offensive philosophy hasn’t perform up to the expectations of many. There were games when it worked well. Have to wonder if year two of being in this system would increase performance moving forward....

10. [Ph]ight On

[Ph]ight On Junior Member

Nov 3, 2019
    Don’t know if this is true, but know there are ppl exactly like this.

11. GoSC27!

GoSC27! Points Member

Nov 3, 2019
    Blow it up and start all over! First things first, priority should be 5 star Oline recruits. Find 5 Penei Sewells as the starting point and you will see immediate improvement whoever is the OC!
    Fight On!

Lyn the Duck likes this.
  12. AnArchitect

AnArchitect Points Member

Nov 3, 2019
    The only reason we're in this spot is because Helton, a walking example of the Peter Principle who got where he was by catching the updrafts from others' fall (Kiff and Sark) and had zero cards in his rolodex.

This discussion is totally moot.
    A new coach is going to pick his staff.
    If that new coach likes what he sees, he'll keep 'im.
    If not, he won't.

The rest is hot air.

13. DaFireMedic

DaFireMedic Junior Member

Nov 3, 2019
    Most likely, the new HC brings in his own OC. Harrell will land on his feet.

14. Ventura Trojan

Ventura Trojan Junior Member

Nov 3, 2019
    I hate it also.