Who’s most responsible for Coach O

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by ConquerorSC, Jan 13, 2020.

1. TheRealAirbns

TheRealAirbns Junior Member

Jan 14, 2020
    August West mention his "first time around," which seemed to suggest his first time around at USC. Orgeron addressed his demons from back in his Miami days. He had cleaned up his act more than twenty years prior to acting as USC's interim coach.

If the Board was holding that against him, they're even pettier that they already seem, and that's saying something. If it's really true, isn't it ironic that they would have skipped on Orgeron because of a drinking problem he'd licked twenty years before, in favor of a coach with a massive drinking problem?

2. Linebacker II

Linebacker II Points Member

Jan 14, 2020
    The only reason we lost to Notre Dame on Coach O's watch is that we had a place kicker who couldn't kick a beach ball over a picket fence.

reaLchaZZZy, VELOSH82 and Troy70 like this.
  3. twenty twenty

twenty twenty Junior Member

Jan 14, 2020
    You're wrong. Haden "rational minds" no way on Coach O.

Troy70 and ConquerorSC like this.
  4. twenty twenty

twenty twenty Junior Member

Jan 14, 2020
    Haden called out the SC fans that wanted Coach O with his famous "rational minds" remarks insulting all that saw something in Coach O. Haden and his arrogance, the I know more than you mindset, dumped Coach O.

5. SCBirnkrant81

SCBirnkrant81 Junior Member

Jan 14, 2020
    Absolutely! Sark was not the 'home run hire' everyone was expecting. Meanwhile, Coach O was rallying the team, picking up the pieces after the Kiffin's Tarmac incident, and the players were responding well! We all know losing sucks, but losing to our main rivals is a cardinal sin, which gave the decision makers -- Haden, BOT, Nikias, etc.. -- their way out. By the same standards, Helton should've been fired a few time over!

GoSC1, cshen10 and ConquerorSC like this.
  6. drheisenberg

drheisenberg Junior Member

Jan 14, 2020
    I honestly think it’s simply snobbery. Pat Haden comes off as someone who sniffs his own farts. He probably thinks anyone with a Cajun or Southern accent is a moron. He probably thinks anyone who shows any emotion is unstable. For most of us who weren’t born with a silver spoon up our ass, we identify more with Coach O than Cutty Sark or Lame Kitten or Clay Dough. The first 2 come off as spoiled brats who were handed a job and Clay Dough comes off as a wildly insincere conman, like a TV evangelist. Pat Haden did more to ruin this program than the NCAA. If he fought for us (which he probably thought was uncouth) we probably would have reversed half our punishment like PSU did when they fought back. Instead he rolled over, the absolute opposite of Fight On.

Troy70, cshen10 and ConquerorSC like this.
  7. Trojans2015

Trojans2015 Points Member

Jan 14, 2020
    As others have touched on, the issue isn't that we didn't hire Coach O in and of itself. It's the fact that we hired Sark instead, and then the next time we had an interim 2 years later, Haden did make him the full-time HC even though he was far less qualified than Orgeron was.

J4SC75, TheRealAirbns and Rodgarnay51 like this.
  8. August West

August West Points Member

Jan 14, 2020
    It was bad because Haden walked away from Petersen, and hired Sark.

reaLchaZZZy likes this.
  9. aimeedee

aimeedee Points Member

Jan 14, 2020
    Fair point.

10. August West

Jan 14, 2020
    Ed had issues with female BoT members, nothing physical or criminal...just not acceptable in today’s world.

That said, how Haden baited him was totally wrong. It should have been conveyed to Ed he was never getting the job from the start, but he was needed to lead the team the rest of the season.

And if the new HC wanted to retain him, then great.

Ed was never staying under another HC, so when Haden demanded to Petersen that he retain Ed, talks went south....which shows how utterly incompetent Coach Haden was.

To expect A) Ed would stay under a new HC B) A new HC be expected to retain an asst from the previous staff is insane.

And then we got Sark.

ConquerorSC likes this.
  11. denali15

denali15 Points Member

Jan 14, 2020
    He was part of a pretty rowdy group at U of Miami. As others have noted, he owned being not the best guy back then, when he was drinking heavily. He turned his life around, by his own admission, and didn't have any problems while he was coaching here.

Reminding me of his Miami days...someone asked him if he'd ever as good a pair of DLinemen as Sean Cody and Mike Patterson. "Russell Maryland & Warren Sapp weren't bad," he replied.

12. GoSC1

GoSC1 Junior Member

Jan 14, 2020
    He hasnt been fired because our Administration is softer than the team - if that is possible.

ConquerorSC and Rodgarnay51 like this.
  13. Rodgarnay51

Rodgarnay51 Junior Member

Jan 14, 2020
    I agree with this, and at the time I was fine either way. What I did NOT anticipate was Haden hiring 7-win Sark. That was beyond stupid.

AMLTrojan likes this.
  14. Rodgarnay51

Rodgarnay51 Junior Member

Jan 14, 2020
    I completely agree with your first part. Not the never ever part. I made it a separate paragraph because I don't agree with that part.

15. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Jan 14, 2020
    Other than Haden, the person most responsible for Sarkisian being hired is Pete Carroll. He's the one who told Haden to do it.

That said, Orgeron's perception about being led on most likely would have resulted in him leaving anyway, although he might have stayed through the bowl game without throwing furniture. Bad timing, bad decision, poor communication. What could go wrong there?

ConquerorSC and Rodgarnay51 like this.
  16. August West

Jan 14, 2020
    The decision was made already.....losing to the rivals made it a lot easier for Haden to say no.
    Ed was never coming on board, in fact there was some pushback when he returned with Kiffin. But HC, no way.

17. August West

Jan 14, 2020
    Which goes back to Al Davis.... the story about how Pete conned him is still epic.

18. J4SC75

J4SC75 Junior Member

Jan 14, 2020
    Agree, AW, but the big mistake at the time was not saying no to Coach O, it was the outcome of an extensive national search that ended up with Sark. If an elite coach or even a very good coach had been hired as a result of that process, we would be in fine shape and my guess is that Ed O doesn't freak out. He was passed over for a mediocre at best young coach who had a drinking problem.

19. CCTrojans

CCTrojans Junior Member

Jan 14, 2020
    I was one of those. His record at Ole Miss was atrocious. I would have been disappointed if they had retained him. Can you really blame me?

(1) No one in their right mind thought the administration would bungle the hire as badly as they did.

(2) No one in their right mind was predicting that CEO would coach one of the greatest college football teams of all time. This LSU season is the result of a confluence of factors that came almost out of nowhere. And let's face it, do any of you really believe he would have done the same thing here?

If I could go back in time, I would STILL not retain coach O. He is quite clearly happier and better off at home. What I would change is the nonsensical coaching decisions that have plagued this university since then.

uscvball likes this.
  20. 4thamp1

4thamp1 Junior Member

Jan 14, 2020
    Coach O is responsible for Coach O. He evolved (matured) as a coach and a man. Frankly, I would be proud to know him. He surrounded himself with winners and is now a champion. He had a major setback and used it to motivate himself and make changes in how he hired and delegated coaching duties. He went from a micro-manager to a CEO. Pretty epic in my book of achievements.

AMLTrojan likes this.