Where would SC find Alabama type LBs and Dlinemen?

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by flyfishintrojan, Jan 11, 2021.

1. nvargas

nvargas Junior Member

Jan 12, 2021
    Agree, mostly...but you have to start w/ some quality raw materials and what I think is most important, mentally tough kids willing to put in the work. You don't come to Bama unless you're willing to put in the work. Those are grown-ass men in that locker room and a coach that doesn't put up w/ anything.

LDIABootney and yah20002 like this.
  2. nvargas

nvargas Junior Member

Jan 12, 2021
    For a while there, Clemson, LSU and tOSU were cutting into Saban's monopoly. I think this year clearly demonstrated Saban's superiority in both achievement, but also longevity/consistency. He even outlasted Belichek... :) .

3. ErikMcKinney

ErikMcKinney Administrator

Staff Member
    Jan 12, 2021
    Bolden had offers from Arizona State, LSU, TCU, Tennessee, Utah and Washington coming out of high school. He's from Louisiana.

Alabama is still getting their elite players from out of state (Barmore is from Philadelphia and Moses from Louisiana), but they're also getting virtually every single player they want in the state of Alabama. That's building solid depth to support the elite players. Devonta Smith is from Louisiana, Najee Harris obviously from California, Alex Leatherwood and Mac Jones from Florida, Landon Dickerson from North Carolina...

LDIABootney, BigRex and nvargas like this.
  4. Ride Fly

Ride Fly Junior Member

Jan 12, 2021
    I recall that we didn’t really have a shot at Harris. It seemed he was all Bama from the get-go. Even with Carr, there was a lot of concern that we might lose him at the last minute. I still say had Carr not had the back injury that required surgery, he would’ve been gone after his junior year. He is nowhere near as explosive, and shifty now as compared to pre surgery.

5. Peete2Affholter

Peete2Affholter Junior Member

Jan 12, 2021
    I do remember the flashes we saw of Carr when he was a freshman, and I felt like he could be a special player. Injury unfortunately derailed his career, like it did for another guy I thought was going to be a stud, Chris Galippo.

6. nvargas

nvargas Junior Member

Jan 12, 2021
    Porter Gustin, George Farmer, Jarvis Jones...so many.

7. Ride Fly

Ride Fly Junior Member

Jan 12, 2021
    George Farmer had a severe injury? I honestly don’t recall that. Any injury is unfortunate and could be potentially career altering or ending, but think about back surgeries! I cringe every time I hear of an athlete having back surgery. I’m not surprised that Carr never returned to his pre-surgery form. Also it’s one of the reasons I’m surprised Marlon Tuipulotu was able to do so well this year. I was so stoked when we landed Jay T and Marlon T 4 years ago, and honestly I was a little more impressed with Marlon than Jay. Then when I read Marlon was having back surgery after his freshman year, I remember thinking “uh oh, I hope can come back!”

8. BigRex

BigRex Points Member

Jan 12, 2021
    Not a single one from California. In fact, not a single one from the west. Only two from west of the Mississippi.

LDIABootney likes this.
  9. nvargas

nvargas Junior Member

Jan 12, 2021
    If I recall, Farmer was out for seasons at a time. I don't remember for what exactly. Yes, he was always injured.

Yep, back injuries can be a mother f*cker, but it really depends on what exactly broke and whether the fix truly fixed it. In the case of Galippo and Jones, it was upper spine/neck stuff which can be particularly tricky...rather than just fusing a lower bulging disc or something. Nasty stuff!

10. ErikMcKinney

ErikMcKinney Administrator

Staff Member
    Jan 12, 2021
    Farmer missed multiple games every year at USC due to injury and he missed the entire 2013 season after tearing knee ligaments during spring ball.

11. flyfishintrojan

flyfishintrojan Junior Member

Jan 12, 2021
    Shhhhh, not too loud, you can get in a lot of trouble saying stuff like that here.

LDIABootney likes this.
  12. IETrojanFan

IETrojanFan Junior Member

Jan 12, 2021
    Answer, USC would find them all around the country. It's paying them enough to come to USC that's the problem...

13. Peete2Affholter

Peete2Affholter Junior Member

Jan 12, 2021
    You mean we can't find jobs for all their dads?

IETrojanFan likes this.
  14. Tamatoa916

Tamatoa916 Junior Member

Jan 12, 2021
    All I have to say is number 65 for Bama is listed at 6’4” 350!!!!!

15. LDIABootney

LDIABootney Junior Member

Jan 12, 2021
    Didn't Jones become an All American at Georgia after his transfer?

16. Innocent Bystander

Innocent Bystander Points Member

Jan 12, 2021
    USC has to take advantage of what they have.

The issue isn't as much recruiting as it is evaluating

Supplement the talent of the West with Texas, Louisiana, Georgia and Florida USC should be fine

You can get OL and DL out here.
    Ones you can't find go elsewhere

Alabama going to have a different look because it is in Alabama.
    Their recruiting territory is Alabama and Georgia. Then they move to Florida and Louisiana/Texas

Doesn't take away from who we are.
    Most of our talented players here in California have family ties to places like Texas and Louisiana.

17. Innocent Bystander

Innocent Bystander Points Member

Jan 12, 2021
    We are getting somewhere

I am going to go way back because this man is one of my favorite Trojans.
    Willie McGinest walked onto campus looking like he was a NFL player. Don't get me wrong he worked his ass off but McGinest made himself known early on.

He was going places.

Mentality...

Can't turn every piece of coal into a diamond

AMLTrojan and nvargas like this.
  18. nvargas

nvargas Junior Member

Jan 13, 2021
    Something like that, went on to be drafted fairly high and played in the NFL. Lost track of him, but certainly went on to better things.

I don't blame SC in that, it was a medical call by Dr's, not up to the team.

LDIABootney likes this.
  19. Trojack

Trojack Junior Member

Jan 13, 2021
    Jones played a few years in the NFL and then took a medical retirement but I don't know if it was related to the problem that our team physicians diagnosed (spinal stenosis). One of those physicians was a good friend of mine and he told me it was a tough call but based on the diagnostics, they really didn't have a choice. I also remember the fans giving the medical staff a raft of shit over it.

20. SGVFlip

SGVFlip Points Member

Jan 14, 2021
    Silly me.....I thought USC finally started recruiting like the Big boys again, and are getting playmakers to come in on D...

Putting the finishing touches on a great '21 class, and all indications are that '22 class might be even better....

Looks to me like the defensive coaching staff thats been here all of 1 year is finally showing some overall developement and improved play... lets not talk about that....

Im pumped with the way recruiting has turned around, and the signs of player development on that side of the ball has started to manifests itself..