When is enough, enough? (from Bruce Bagni)

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by ErikMcKinney, Jan 4, 2021.

1. DaFireMedic

DaFireMedic Junior Member

Jan 6, 2021
    There is no guaranteed solution. But I do know that repeatedly firing and hiring new assistants is NOT the solution. This team will never be any better than Helton, regardless of the assistants. And after 5 years, it’s pretty clear that Helton just doesn’t have it. He’s had his chance, time to move on.

But they won’t. Helton is here for at least another year, possibly longer.

2. Conquestluvr

Conquestluvr Junior Member

Jan 6, 2021
    Did Herman have a worse record than Helton over the last four years. Did Texas win ugly when they did win?
    No one can know or predict what the record will be going forward, but we look at the past and make a realistic prediction based on past performance and common sense.
    Recruits want to see how teams are performing as well as the overall record. I think most recruits have enough wisdom to also strongly consider how well a team is playing and how well players at their position are developing, in addition to the overall record.
    If no home run hire is available, than you take a chance on a bright young coach who would command a smaller salary, and give him a maximum three contract.
    This is a risk of course, but with the expectation bar so long, I don't think the risk is that great.

Trojan12 and gubo&palanka like this.
  3. BigRex

BigRex Points Member

Jan 6, 2021
    "Is USC an attractive destination for proven coaches?"

I think the evidence is that it is not an attractive destination for proven coaches.

LDIABootney and gubo&palanka like this.
  4. jacksonsf

jacksonsf Junior Member

Jan 6, 2021
    Fantastic post.

I think that we got Clay Helton because of the ease of winning the P12 south if you are the head coach at USC.

In the past, a head coach needed to win the p10 to get to the Rose Bowl. Now the goal for a USC coach is to win the Pac 12 south and have a shot at the p12 title game. With the talent advantage of USC being a hotbed of talent, USC will always have more talent than Utah, Colorado, Az, ASU and perhaps Ucla. Any average to good USC coach will walk into the p12 south title each year on talent alone.

Yet, a problem occurred. We didn't have an average head football coach. We had a below average head football coach. The unthinkable happened. Clay Helton could not win the p12 south with his talent advantage over all the other schools.

Clay didn't know how to fix his offense. Lane Kiffin called the plays. Sark called the plays Helton had never called the plays. Neither had newly promoted Tee Martin.

So Clay sold out tailback U for the Air Raid. The Air Raid allowed USCs offense to continue to dominate the p12 south and provide excitement. Yet, play anyone with equal talent..and you lose. Mainly because EVERY other school has a better head football coach than USC.

Clay is all about survival and he has changed the goal to winning the p12 south. He can lose every game to ND...which he does at 1-4 or in the bowls or to UW and Oregon...and the p12 south title is still there.

5. Peete2Affholter

Peete2Affholter Junior Member

Jan 6, 2021
    Larry Smith went 3-8 in 1991, which I think is the worst season, record-wise, USC has had since WW2 (please correct me if that is wrong). He improved a little in 1992, going 6-5-1, but the luster was already off, and he sealed his own fate when he testily replied to a reporter's question by saying something along the lines of "You don't just win anymore because of the logo on your helmet." He was fired and then John Robinson was brought back for his second stint here.

Larry Smith had a very successful run in his first three years, going to 3 straight Rose Bowls, and bringing USC to the brink of a MNC in 1988. Erik Affholter himself said he believes that if Rodney Peete were fully healthy for that Notre Dame game, we would have rolled the Irish and sewn up a title.

But for all that, the wheels fell off by 1990, with him publicly feuding with his star QB, causing him to leave and then we started probably the worst starting QB we ever had at USC. He got another season in 1992 to right the ship, which he - kinda did, having a barely winning record at 6-5-1, but a stomping by Notre Dame, a heartbreaking loss to UCLA, and then that humiliating loss to Fresno State in the Freedom Bowl - sealed his fate. The USC administration back then still believed that football was important to the image and identity of the university, and wasn't going to tolerate a lackluster coach, even one who had gone to three straight Rose Bowls earlier in his tenure.

Helton's record improved slightly over the disastrous 5-7 2018 campaign, but if you're being honest, his team is not really much better. Yes, "Just Win Baby" is a valid refrain, and winning ugly is preferable to losing pretty, but other than having a center than can reliably snap the ball to the QB, I do not see marked improvement anywhere on this team. This Air Raid offense we were so excited about before the season fizzled out like all those Arab Air Forces when they faced the Israelis. All show and no go, and when faced with a real opponent, we just look outclassed and very obviously out-prepared.

Yes, this 5-1 season had some fun moments - the final 4 minutes against ASU, and the comeback win against Juicy, but to say that Helton has this team and program on an upward trajectory is intellectually dishonest.

Trojan12, Rodgarnay51, Troy70 and 3 others like this.
  6. conquest4ever81

conquest4ever81 Points Member

Jan 6, 2021
    Under Herman Texas went 7-6, 10-4, 8-5 and 7-3. Hardly impressive enough to replace Helton. USC fans expect much better. I have no idea whether his wins were ugly or pretty. Who really gives a shit? A win is a win. Recruits really don't care. Does anyone out there actually believe there are any people who prefer a good looking loss to an ugly win?

7. BOULDER TO BIRMINGHAM

BOULDER TO BIRMINGHAM Junior Member

Jan 6, 2021
    Are you saying Gomer's teams are disciplined? That they don't commit all sorts of dumb penalties? They aren't soft?
    You clearly haven't been watching.

OC2SC, Trojan12, Troy70 and 3 others like this.
  8. BOULDER TO BIRMINGHAM

Jan 6, 2021
    For all of Herman's faults, he has forgotten more about coaching than your man crush knows.USC is sofy,lazy and undisciplined, a pure reflection of their fat, lazy coach.

9. conquest4ever81

Jan 6, 2021
    Still drowning in the anxiety of your homosexual panic eh?
    f00815c2e7b2e39cdf28ac0b2e1d516b.gif

10. conquest4ever81

Jan 6, 2021
    I've been watching enough to see my team win 5 straight games overcoming adversity then losing the CCG by only 1 TD.

11. LoyalTrojan

LoyalTrojan Junior Member

Jan 6, 2021
    upload_2021-1-6_20-45-29.gif

12. LoyalTrojan

LoyalTrojan Junior Member

Jan 6, 2021
    upload_2021-1-6_20-45-39.gif

13. TrojanMafia

TrojanMafia Points Member

Jan 7, 2021
    Find another hobby. Going on another teams board to troll definitely makes it look like that you live in your parents basement and are a 40 year old virgin. Now get back on your knees and be quiet

14. TrojanMafia

TrojanMafia Points Member

Jan 7, 2021
    You really are just a stain in the bed sheets

15. gubo&palanka

gubo&palanka Points Member

WeAreSc Member
    Jan 7, 2021
    I wonder where Hackett's teams ranked in penalties per game and penalty yards per game?

Rodgarnay51 likes this.
  16. gubo&palanka

gubo&palanka Points Member

WeAreSc Member
    Jan 7, 2021
    Nice one!

AZTrojan38 and Rodgarnay51 like this.
  17. BOULDER TO BIRMINGHAM

Jan 8, 2021
    Conquestluvr may have never played football, but he has forgotten more about evaluating a coach than you will ever know.
    Helton absolutely sucks, and his team is a reflection of him. They are soft, lazy and undisciplined. And Helton continues to lie to whoever is listening, claiming " we are on the verge of greatness", "I will look at the film and we will clean it up" " I can't wait to see the team in November".Clay isn't man enough to own a bad loss. Instead he denies, and says he will fix it, which never happens.
    When that lying, fat loser is finally fired, there will be a massive celebration on this board. The only people upset will be you and the other 11 PAC 12 coaches.

OC2SC, Trojan12, gubo&palanka and 2 others like this.
  18. BOULDER TO BIRMINGHAM

Jan 8, 2021
    You are the gay one on this board, so you will have to explain.

19. Oldschoolrock

Oldschoolrock Junior Member

Jan 8, 2021
    not a big poster, it seems Conquest is wearing Heltons shoes...
    casual obvservation....he reminds me of the late buyers in a momo stock that plunges, stuck in the investment for years waiting for next time the big boys decide to push it up because that is what they tell you what to do.....instead of taking tax loss immediately, admitting you were wrong and finding another momo sector or symbol to start rebuilding your wealth, life and moral..

nothing wrong with letting something go that was a mistake, in fact, it's a learning lesson, but not expensive as holding onto something that never pans out and just falls into the pink sheets ........

20. jpsocal65

jpsocal65 Junior Member

Jan 9, 2021
    He didn’t mean you asswipe. Ur a joke