WhatABurger vs In-N-Out

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by Troy70, Jun 17, 2018.

1. SGVFlip

SGVFlip Points Member

Jun 18, 2018
    Yeah, I lived for a few years in western Michigan, and White Castle was pretty prominent...IIRC, the biggest reason is that they're open 24 hours/day, and anytime past midnight, folks really don't care about quality, just that they have something cheap to eat...those sliders are really greasy...LOL

We used to fly out employees from Michigan to headquarters in City of Industry, and they can't get enough of In N Out, fwiw...said they were head and shoulders above what they have back in Michigan...I agree of course....

2. gepetohong

gepetohong Junior Member

Jun 18, 2018
    I’ve had my share of White Castles living in St. Louis. Friday or Saturday nights, 2-3 am, coming back from a night out, it’s pretty much a standard. It’s not what you would call “good”, but it served its purpose for the time of day... Steak ‘n Shake and their “steak burgers” were pretty good as a package, the burger itself is unmemorable.

Another no one is mentioning... Fatburger? The one off of Lincoln and... Pico(?) was the one I used to frequent years back, their burgers were outstanding.

3. SoCalN8tiv

SoCalN8tiv Junior Member

Jun 18, 2018
    Heck yeah! Gotta have the fat fries with that fat burger and a chocolate shake. One of the few places where ALL three elements are delicious. I actually enjoy their turkey burger too. That's really good. Not many places can boast an outstanding turkey burger and a delicious beef burger. Tip: order the turkey burger well done and ONLY on a white bun. Never go wheat bread. Blech to wheat bread with any burger.

4. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Jun 18, 2018
    There's a Fatburger in Redondo Beach, corner of PCH and PV Blvd. Not the easiest ingress and egress but still a great burger. But WTH, if you're in that area and what a good breakfast, head to Eat At Joe's.

Pudly76 likes this.
  5. norcal4socal

norcal4socal Points Member

Jun 18, 2018
    My last night in town I went into a White Castle, in Detroit on 8 mile. I only wanted to taste one. So that is what I ordered. The whole place came to a stand still. People stopped ordering and employees poked their heads out from the back to see the guy who came to White Castle and ordered just one. It was like the old "EF Hutton says...." commercial. You could hear a napkin hit the floor. People were agasp, staring at me like I was crazy. Conversation filled with inquires and insults were throw at me. I stood my ground stating, " I'm from Cali we only have frozen WC burgers in the supermarkets. I would like to try just one fresh WC please." I ate it inside in front of everyone. Finished n a few seconds, I was asked what do you think?
    Actually I had just come from a soul food buffet, stuffed to my gilet. Saw WC out the side of my eye and shouted "Pull over." (Action Bronson has nothing over me.) Remember I said I was a dog.
    As I left WC I smirked and said, " It was alright."

gepetohong likes this.
  6. gepetohong

gepetohong Junior Member

Jun 18, 2018
    I’m sorry, I’m not going to a great burger joint and ordering a turkey burger. Just me... :) But gotta agree with no wheat buns!

7. SoCalN8tiv

SoCalN8tiv Junior Member

Jun 18, 2018
    Hehheh. Well, I just think of a turkey burger as chicken sandwich adjacent. I can't turn down a good chicken sandwich either ; )

8. AMLTrojan

AMLTrojan Junior Member

Jun 18, 2018
    I will never understand all the hate on In-n-Out fries - I love 'em! I get if you prefer steak-cut fries like Five Guys, but the flavor profile of crisp, thin-cut fries (especially when they are fresh) is so much better to me.

I wish they had In-N-Out in Virginia. Whataburger? Not so much.

9. User1234

User1234 Junior Member

Jun 18, 2018
    I too did my time in the USAF in Tejas, and can tell you that Whataburger is garbage compared to In & Out. But I prefer to make my own now out of Chuck and New York Guy Fieri style. PS. secret ingredient besides garlic salt is A-1 and rub some Lindberg-Snider rosemary salt on the surfaces.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
  10. Boselli

Boselli Junior Member

Jun 18, 2018
    Adding to already too-long post. I grew up on Mc Donalds. In Downey. And because burger taste is obviously subjective I still go in once in awhile and by four cheese burgers and a coke and eat one on the way home and put the other three in the fridge where I can nuke them a little maybe a day later and do whatever I want to them. 1) add a spoonful of chill with fresh minced onion 2) add a big slice of garden tomato and some lettuce. 3) toss one of them in the trash but keep the beef patty for a double and slather on a heap of Russian dressing...that kind of thing.

Besides the size of the patty and bun is quite a bit bigger than it was in Downey back then and still cost less than a dollar

11. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Jun 18, 2018
    IMO, they suck. The flavor is a zero. If you don't eat them in the first 30 seconds, they are nothing but a mouthful of grease. Most folks don't go there for the fries, and tend to overlook them, but they definitely aren't on the plus side.

Lol, the original!

Once upon a time, McDonald's celebrated some anniversary and had a weekend where they offered roll-back prices to .10 a burger with a 5 burger max limit. My mom was driving me and my sisters down to San Diego and we stopped at every McDonald's on the way there and the way back. She sent each of us in with our .50 so we could buy the max. When we got home we put them in the freezer and literally lived on Mickey D's burgers for weeks. Sounds bad but a great memory.

12. KANDI11

KANDI11 Junior Member

Jun 18, 2018
    A 14 year old McDonalds burger.

13. David Brown

David Brown Member

Jun 18, 2018
    Had to jump into this thread. We go to Texas once a year and we head straight to Whataburger. Breakfasts are great and we like their burgers a bunch.

14. WhtHorse

WhtHorse Junior Member

Jun 19, 2018
    I went to a Whataburger for the first time before the Cotton Bowl. The two dudes at the counter ignored me for 5 minutes after we walked in. One dude finally approached us with his gut hanging out of the bottom of his shirt. He also had crap (mustard & ketchup) all over his shirt. Whataburger lost the contest before I even ordered or tasted the burger. None of that what have ever occurred at an In & Out.

15. SGVFlip

SGVFlip Points Member

Jun 19, 2018
    I agree...it's actually freshly cut potatos, not frozen or anything like that.....lol...go figure.. But yeah, need to eat within a few minutes of getting from the counter....

16. qqqqqqqman

qqqqqqqman Junior Member

Jun 19, 2018

Maybe that's 'Texas'.... and not 'Whataburger', LOL

17. Cardinal&Gold

Cardinal&Gold Junior Member

Jun 19, 2018
    20150224151557-shake-shack.jpeg Shake Shack in the east coast.

18. SGVFlip

SGVFlip Points Member

Jun 19, 2018
    Maybe some of the old heads will remember...

Used to go once in a while to Hamburger Hamlet back in the day, the one in the mid Wilshire area....a bit pricey for the times, so it was a place for special occasion.....

maybe what a Shake Shack is now....although I have not been to one yet....

19. SCrojanOC

SCrojanOC Active Member

Jun 19, 2018
    Fatburger! I haven't eaten one in years but back in the mid 80's, my roommate recommended their King Burger with chili, cheese, bacon and an egg! We'd go to the one in Westwood (back when it was cool go cruise Westwood on a Friday or Saturday night). With all the extras, the dang thing became an $8 or $9 burger back when a typical burger was in the $1-$3 range.

20. SoCalN8tiv

SoCalN8tiv Junior Member

Jun 19, 2018
    I ask them to leave the fries in the fryer for an extra minute. It solves the flaccid fry syndrome. At home, the best way to get golden crispy fries is to double-fry. Cut fries with a Swiss V-slicer for uniformity. Soak in cold water. Drain starch. Add warm water with sugar and karo syrup. Let soak for 1/2 hour. Then deep fry half ways to soften middle before the final toasting step. Pull them out, spread out on a cookie sheet. Then put them in the freezer for about an hour. Then deep refry on high until golden brown. It's the secret way to make golden crispy fries a la McDs. It works. Drawback is it takes longer but for taste, look, and texture it's tough to beat.