What saddens me most about the Tower...

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by BigGuard, May 9, 2017.

1. What saddens me most about the Tower...
    BigGuard

BigGuard Junior Member

May 9, 2017
    I attended SC back in the mid-90’s. And yes, as long as I can recall USC was always called the "University of Spoiled Children”. I always took this attempted slight in stride because I knew better. Yes, there was certainly affluence at SC, but there’s also a lot of hard working kids who are there on generous scholarships (myself) who added to the great campus environment. Plus, almost all of the “rich” kids I knew had parents who worked their asses off. Yes, their dad might have been a successful doctor, CPA, or partner in a law firm, but they worked 60+ hours a week to put their kid in SC.

I feel things might have changed. The new Coliseum tower is just the latest, and most obvious example, of a cultural shift that I feel when I visit campus. There is a real elitist element that is now present. To make it worse, there is this crass ostentatiousness around campus. From the overwrought clock by Tommy, do the selling of ego-driven naming rights for every piece of available real estate. Back in the good old days the poor kids dormed at EVK while the richies lived in the luxury of Cardinal Gardens. I’m sure the new dorms are going to be better than any apartment I had in my early 20’s. This in and of itself is fine, but in combination with everything else, it just sets a strange kinda gaudy tone for the university.

As much as I dislike the look of the tower, I dislike how it will forever separate us Trojans. Yes, before the proposed renovation the big donors got prime seats, but we all had to sit in the same chairs and deal with the same lines at the bathrooms and for kettle corn. That will be gone. Instead we’ll have this massive ostentatious monument exemplifying the new Trojan reality. I'm going to remain optimistic that it'll end up looking good when completed, but I also feel that it'll just be the latest ego driven project at our beautiful campus.

Fight On!

Ostentatious
    : attracting or seeking to attract attention, admiration, or envy often by gaudiness or obviousness : overly elaborate or conspicuous

2. mpron

mpron Junior Member

May 9, 2017
    The Tower of Horror.

3. Jpltrojan

Jpltrojan Junior Member

May 10, 2017
    Agree with Big's comments and it really IMO underscores the difference between Sample and Nikias. It appears the admin and BOT are working to separate themselves from the riff-raff. I suspect it'll work.

4. crank31

crank31 Junior Member

May 10, 2017
    What slightly bothers me are the weekly social media posts about how USC is in the top with Harvard, Stanford, etc in XYZ (fill in the blank). I am sure those schools don't publicize every recognition some think tank produces. C'mon it's Harvard and Stanford, people respect them. We don't need weekly reminders that indirectly says "We're like Harvard and Stanford."

5. Durium

Durium Junior Member

May 10, 2017
    From the overwrought clock by Tommy, do the selling of ego-driven naming rights for every piece of available real estate.

?And also that silly-looking horse across from Tommy--an eyesore--at least to me.

6. SoCalN8tiv

SoCalN8tiv Junior Member

May 10, 2017
    ONE TOWER TO RULE THEM ALL...

[​IMG]

Btw, very ostentatious ; )

7. AnnenbergGrad

AnnenbergGrad Junior Member

May 10, 2017
    Well stated, BigGuard. I sent you a private message.

8. SouthbayTrojan91

SouthbayTrojan91 Junior Member

May 10, 2017
    Way over thinking it.
    I can agree on the coliseum but the general comments about the campus are not accurate. In fact, the school is MUCH more egalitarian than it was in the 80's or in the mid-90's when you were there.
    Making the school facilities nicer does not reflect any sort of division in classes.

9. guboamppalanka

guboamppalanka Junior Member

May 10, 2017
    Agree with everything except Cardboard Gardens -- back my day it was not a place for rich kids.

10. willusc

willusc Junior Member

May 10, 2017
    I agree southbay. The university village was a dump and what the university has done with the site in terms of functionality and architecture is something to be proud of.