What is wrong with wind and solar

Discussion in 'MKJ Off-Topic' started by TroyBill, Sep 14, 2020.

1. What is wrong with wind and solar
    TroyBill

TroyBill Junior Member

Sep 14, 2020
    I do not know much about either. We were going to get solar at our house in Vegas. I then realized I would never live long enough to pay it off. There are other downsides to it also. The lease requires no down payment but you do not get the write off for using solar with leasing. The company does. Additionally, by the time you pay it off a lot of the panels are in need of replacement. If you sell the house there are also issues as to liability. This is for another day. I watched the video and I found it very elucidating. Judge for yourselves.

https://www.prageru.com/video/whats-wrong-with-wind-and-solar/?utm_source=Main+Mailing+List&utm_campaign=50f21f798c-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2020_04_09_06_29_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_f90832343d-50f21f798c-177390670

2. DJ4SC

DJ4SC Junior Member

Sep 14, 2020
    Question Colonel,
    Doesn’t Nevada have one of the largest solar fields generating solar power already? So in a sense you’ve already gone solar?........that is when solar works.....

CrownoftheValley likes this.
  3. August West

August West Points Member

Sep 14, 2020
    1. Windmills require petroleum every single step of their life cycle. If they can’t replicate themselves using wind turbine generated electricity, they are not sustainable
    2. SCALE. Too many windmills needed to replace fossil fuels
    3. SCALE. Wind turbines can’t be scaled up fast enough to replace fossils
    4. Not enough rare earth metals and enormous amounts of cement, steel, and other materials required
    5. Not enough dispatchable power to balance wind intermittency and unreliability
    6. Wind blows seasonally, so for much of there year there wouldn’t be enough wind
    7. When too much wind is blowing for the grid to handle, it has to be curtailed and/or drives electricity prices to zero, driving natural gas, coal, and nuclear power plants out of business
    8. The best wind areas will never be developed
    9. The Grid Can’t Handle Wind Power without natural gas, which is finite
    10. The role of the grid is to keep the supply of power steady and predictable. Wind does the opposite, at some point of penetration it may become impossible to keep the grid from crashing.
    11. Windmills wouldn’t be built without huge subsidies and tax breaks
    12. Tremendous environmental damage from mining material for windmills
    13. Not enough time to scale wind up
    14. The best wind is too high or remote to capture
    15. Too many turbines could affect Earth’s climate negatively
    16. Wide-scale US wind power could cause significant global warming. A Harvard study raises questions about just how much wind should be part of a climate solution
    17. Less wind can be captured than thought (see Max Planck Society)
    18. Wind is only strong enough to justify windmills in a few regions
    19. The electric grid needs to be much larger than it is now
    20. Wind blows the strongest when customer demand is the weakest
    21. No utility scale energy storage in sight
    22. Wind Power surges harm industrial customers
    23. Energy returned on Energy Invested is negative
    24. Windmills take up too much space
    25. Wind Turbines break down too often
    26. Large-scale wind energy slows down winds and reduces turbine efficiencies
    27. Offshore Wind Farms likely to be destroyed by Hurricanes
    28. The costs of lightning damage are too high
    29. Wind doesn’t reduce CO2
    30. Turbines increase the cost of farming
    31. Offshore Windmills battered by waves, wind, ice, corrosion, a hazard to ships and ecosystems
    32. Wind turbines are far more expensive than they appear to be
    33. Wind turbines are already going out of business and fewer built in Europe
    34. TRANSPORTATION LIMITATIONS: Windmills are so huge they’ve reached the limits of land transportation by truck or rail
    35. Windmills may only last 12 to 15 years, or at best 20 years
    36. Not In My Back Yard – NIMBYism
    37. Offshore wind turbines could affect fisheries
    38. Lack of a skilled and technical workforce
    39. Wind only produces electricity, what we face is a liquid fuels crisis
    40. Wind has a low capacity Factor
    41. The quality of wind resources is location specific, with the best locations often found far from the load center
    42. Dead bugs and salt reduce wind power generation by 20 to 30%
    43. Small windmills too expensive, too noisy, unreliable, and height restricted
    44. Trucks are the basis of civilization, when diesel runs out, collapse will follow. Trucks can’t be electrified
    45. Germany has been spending more for much longer than other nations, and Energiewiende is a huge failure
    46. Wind turbines more expensive to decommission than construct so often not recycled
    47. Transmission lines need to be much longer than for fossil plants, and likely to spark firestorms causing billions in damage
    48. Decommissioning wind turbines costs as much as $500,000 per wind turbine
    49. Wind turbines threaten biodiversity in hundreds of protected, key biodiversity, and wilderness areas
    50. Wind turbines and solar PV depend on the energy storage of coal and natural gas plants to provide power when the wind dies
    51. Operations and Maintenance (O&M) costs are too high

SoCalN8tiv likes this.
  4. xuscx

xuscx Junior Member

Sep 14, 2020
    I once did a lot of work for solar city. Did a lot in California, Arizona and Hawaii but never Nevada. Sometimes the powers like to keep them out.

5. DJ4SC

DJ4SC Junior Member

Sep 14, 2020

You need to remove your mask as I’m positive you’re not getting enough oxygen.

6. xuscx

xuscx Junior Member

Sep 14, 2020
    I wear a mask when going into retail or walking to a table at a restaurant. Is is called not being a dick and working together. It is not a major sacrifice.

7. DJ4SC

DJ4SC Junior Member

Sep 14, 2020
    Like I said above, dick.

Troyhorn1 likes this.
  8. contracostatrojan

contracostatrojan Junior Member

Sep 14, 2020
    Ask Michael Moore who co-produced his documentary on what a fraud and "capitalistic" scam green energy is. They showed footage of that vast Nevada solar array that is now in complete dis-array. He was roundly criticized by the greenies and , of course, it disappeared very quietly and quickly.

Troyhorn1, CrownoftheValley and DJ4SC like this.
  9. Jpltrojan

Jpltrojan Junior Member

Sep 14, 2020
    Thankfully I’m not in the solar business...I can’t imagine having to work with a claimed engineer as absolutely stupid as you. I suspect I’d fire you inside of a day...maybe an hour.

10. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Sep 14, 2020
    Says who, you? I'm tired if reading this incredibly ignorant comment from people who claim to care about others but don't bother to consider ALL the others.

"People with PTSD are facing some issues with wearing a mask while trying to combat the spread of COVID-19.

Trauma survivors routinely face a bevy of problems other people might not realize. For instance, I know of a veteran who had a panic attack while wearing her mask at the grocery store recently.

She said it immediately reminded her of when she was deployed in Afghanistan, in a confined situation where she couldn't breathe. The mask was triggering her post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) from her service in the military.

She didn't know what she's supposed to do now that masks are required in order to slow the spread of COVID-19. This left her feeling as if she must choose between the panic while wearing her mask, or receive shame from strangers if she aborts her mask in public."

"There is no way to know how many trauma survivors are walking among you. Yet people feel free to judge harshly without even knowing someone’s story.

Here are some glaring statistics that hopefully help you understand why there could be a lot of people choosing not to wear a mask.

In the United States, 61 percent of men and 51 percent of women have experienced at least one traumatic event in their life. With these statistics in mind, how do you prioritize safety and still be respectful toward others?

Unless you have a neon sign lit over your head, how will others know that you do indeed have a medical reason not to wear a mask?"

• The mask feels suffocating. A lack of oxygen flow creates immediate fear of impending doom.
    • Seeing a mask on someone else can be a reminder of a perpetrator.
    • The mask prevents being able to read someone else’s lips or facial expressions to be able to interpret a sense of safety or need to self-protect.
    • The mandate to wear the mask removes a sense of choice in the matter. This lack of choice triggers the loss of control, which is like living a trauma all over again.

The first step in removing shame and making the choice between panic or shame when wearing a mask starts with you. Remove your own shame, and do what is right for you.

Hopefully, if you have not experienced PTSD and are someone who was shaming others, you can stop doing that now and have a more compassionate point of view."
    https://www.yourtango.com/experts/lesley-goth/why-wearing-mask-can-trigger-panic-and-shame-for-trauma-survivors

Do you get it now? I was a victim of a pedophile. He always put his hand over my mouth so I wouldn't make any noise. Putting a mask over my face makes me want to vomit, among other things. If you think it's "not a major sacrifice" for everyone, then fuck you.

11. fssca51

fssca51 Junior Member

WeAreSc Member
    Sep 14, 2020
    There is nothing inherently 'wrong' with either wind or solar as generators of electricity. They are both very good in the right place and circumstances . There are downsides to both which the potential buyer should know about and understand before making the investment. I've had solar water heating at my home for about 25 years. It has ben reliable and there has paid for itself. I designed and installed it on a rack above the roof so it does not interfere with re-roofing or penetrate the roof membrane.

ca4usc likes this.
  12. SoCalN8tiv

SoCalN8tiv Junior Member

Sep 15, 2020
    That and this is a problem too. President Trump was heavily criticized for saying windmills cause cancer but this is what he was talking about when he made his comment. Once again, he is completely correct and the anti-Trumper idiots on this board are wrong - yet again.

Rare earth metals are used in wind turbines, also, which means that even though clean energy is generated, the use of these toxic metals makes the green energy impure. Rare earth metals mining generate a lot of radioactive waste which is dangerous for both humans and the environment. Take a look at the potential dangers of mining rare earth metals:

https://drprem.com/guide/potential-dangers-of-mining-rare-earth-metals/

Troianus Acies, SCBIGTIME and DJ4SC like this.
  13. GaryB

GaryB Junior Member

Sep 15, 2020
    Bill: Technology has driven the variable costs associated with solar down to the point where they are comparable to all but nuclear. The advantage of solar are the sink costs.

Unfortunately, in Nevada you have a unique situation. Until 2016, Nevada Energy wanted residential solar installed to offset peak usage issues that were creating a supply issue for Nevada Power. Incentives were offered to homeowners to install solar and Nevada Power was able to defer capital investments that were needed.

Beginning in 2016, Nevada Power began having a problem with off-hours over capacity issues. The additional capacity from solar was creating issues with the transmission grid. As a result, Nevada entered into an agreement to buy power during peak hours from Washington and the state ended subsidies for solar power by increasing rates 400%. In exchange, Nevada Power agreed to upgrade its transmission grid and install storage for the excess capacity produced by solar. The agreement gave Nevada Power until 2030 to upgrade the grid and install batteries for storage.

According to Warren Buffet, Nevada Power is six years ahead of schedule to upgrade its grid and complete the installation of battery storage (See Buffets letter to shareholders). As a residential owner, you should expect to see more favorable rates for installing solar beginning in the 2nd half of 2023. You may outlive the cost of solar still....

14. fansincemckay

fansincemckay Points Member

Sep 15, 2020
    Still talking too much zzz.

SCBIGTIME and August West like this.
  15. August West

August West Points Member

Sep 15, 2020
    And most notably, it kills 140,000 to 500,000 birds a year!!!!!

SCBIGTIME likes this.
  16. SCBIGTIME

SCBIGTIME Junior Member

Sep 15, 2020
    Don't worry, you're still a dick.