What if CV doesn’t go away after flu season

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by Troy70, Mar 1, 2020.

1. SCAnteater

SCAnteater Junior Member

Mar 4, 2020
    Plenty of people under 15 have contracted it. No one under 10 has died from it. The death rate for 10-19 years old is .2%.

2. DJ4SC

DJ4SC Junior Member

Mar 4, 2020

You’re joking right? China tried to hide this outbreak even from their own people. I think you need to revisit those numbers vs what ours will ultimately be and I’m positive they will be much lower here.
    As has already been pointed out the common sense thing to do is wash your hands frequently, and keep them off your face.

3. denali15

denali15 Points Member

Mar 5, 2020
    I'm guessing the death rate is much lower than that. We don't know how many folks have even been exposed, as in most cases, the symptoms aren't particularly threatening.

4. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Mar 5, 2020
    Not to mention, China has already peaked and reported infections are on the decline. Plus, the death rates for all cases are not representative for the US since it was China, Iran, and Italy who were unprepared and are contributing larger numbers of fatalities.

I've read some articles that suggest kids may be less prone due to 1)flu shots over time, and 2) built immunities that prior generations were never exposed to. If that's the case, wouldn't we expect to see fewer numbers in general as a result of vaccinations and public health information dissemination?

Also read, although not related, that the NH-Dartmouth patient is a healthcare worker who had returned from Italy. He was advised to self-quarantine but ended up going out to a club (with symptoms) with 100 or so other people, including students and at least one "associate" is now testing for COVID. What an asshole.

Kaptain Karl and OC2SC like this.
  5. oajr01

oajr01 Junior Member

Mar 5, 2020
    Why isn’t the media (or anyone here for that matter) talking about the 53,400 people that have RECOVERED FROM IT?

That is how scary the media is.

Stay well, all, and Fight On!

AZUSCfan and DJ4SC like this.
  6. Troy70

Troy70 Junior Member

Mar 5, 2020
    Don’t trust Chinese data. Brave locals have reported a lot of bodies coming to funeral homes & crematorium running 24/7. Never trust Red Chinese government. Local who videoed bodies was hauled away & disappeared.

7. BarNone

BarNone Junior Member

Mar 5, 2020
    The response is like putting leaches on sick patients in the Middle Ages. This virus is deadly and seniors and those with infirmities should be very concerned and deliberate in who they are in contact with and hygiene. The rest Of us are potential carriers, not victims

calm down the f down and act like a man

the hysteria around this is appalling

GoSC1 likes this.
  8. xuscx

xuscx Junior Member

Mar 6, 2020
    It is a real problem now, but I do have faith the med tech guys will have a solution soon. It's called show me the money. There has never been a bigger focus on one medical issue, someone will be the winner and they all want the prize.

9. GoSC1

GoSC1 Junior Member

Mar 6, 2020
    In the spirit of overreacting, I am instructing my students to duck and cover whenever someone sneezes or coughs in the classroom.... lots of fun. They are getting plenty of exercise at the very least.

SouthbayTrojan91 likes this.
  10. Cardinal&Gold

Cardinal&Gold Junior Member

Mar 6, 2020
    @SouthbayTrojan91

I once saw a Fake News protest being orchestrated.

I was on my way to work and I was 1 hr early so I stopped in at Walgreen's to pick up a few things when I noticed a small group of people in the parking lot next to a major industrial complex. It looked like a small group maybe 20 people holding signs with another 5 people directing and News van and crew with Cameras ready to film.

Naturally I was curious so I watched.

1. They had a director who organized people. They moved some people to the front others back.
    2. They practiced a few times before shooting.
    4. They packed them tight shoulder to shoulder so it was harder to count them. They tried to make it look like more people.
    3. Here's the kicker. They positioned their people at an angle where there were tons of people standing around across the street or going to work near a busy corner. Around 9 am this intersection has people everywhere trying to get to work who had nothing to do with their agenda.

Then they filmed. If you looked at this not knowing the set up you would think. Hundreds showed up for the protest. It was actually 20 or less and they seem to all be paid actors who went along with the sham. Nothing seemed random.

I have no idea what is true with this virus. I just hope none of us get it.

I'm just saying this is the kinda BS that MSM does.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2020
    SouthbayTrojan91 and DaFireMedic like this.
  11. The Garage Mahal

The Garage Mahal Junior Member

Mar 14, 2020
    I returned to this thread to note how, just twelve days ago, how casual the reactions were to this.

It's just the flu.
    Just wash your hands, otherwise I'm changing nothing.

And, I'm sure, some will say the Chinese have just closed their last emergency hospital.

Please read further what the Chinese did to pause their new cases. Please review how they categorized "mild" cases. And ask yourself if you're ready to do the things they have done to pause the virus.

I keep saying pause, because these actions aren't sustainable, and I'm curious to see what happens to their case reports when they go back to normal life. They have incurred nearly incalculable psychological, social, and economic cost to get to this, things in not sure could be done under US law and/or constitution, even if we had the necessary information.

Due to failures to execute and general incompetence, Americans are still flying blind. As testing eventually comes online, I would hope the breadth isn't as bad as feared, but I am not optimistic.

I would hope some of the more cavalier responses above from two weeks ago have reconsidered, because you generally seem to skew older. Please take care and don't be foolish, for your sake or other's.

Ride Fly and AMLTrojan like this.
  12. Boselli

Boselli Junior Member

WeAreSc Member
    Mar 14, 2020
    I agree 100% although I never had any serious doubt it would turn out the way it is right now.
    We just have to learn how to deal with it I guess but you do have some social uppers and downers you can take to make you feel better.
    Want to feel really really scared? Watch Rachel Madow on MSNBC every night
    Want to feel really really cool about it? Watch Hannity on Fox
    After decades of online observation I can say people will be lead by who they want to lead them "ON CABLE" with no other thinking needed.

uscchris likes this.
  13. denali15

denali15 Points Member

Mar 14, 2020
    Nothing you posted changes my mind on this. I still think this is over-hyped. For instance, we know the actual number of cases is far higher than reported because, as many have complained, testing is behind where we'd like it. So...there are currently 40 dead Americans, of which 20 are from one nursing home. Let's say the actual number of cases isn't a few thousand, but 1,000,000. 40 dead out of 1M (20 of whom only had weeks to live anyway) isn't that scary, is it.

So we shut down the country because one slice of society is at risk? I don't think that has changed in 12 days. What has changed: everyone is getting a call from their lawyers--shut down and you can't be sued.

It's scary because it's new. We live with the flu because we're used to it. Only about half get flu shots, we don't wash our hands well, at least one poster here eats boogers (not recommended by CDC) and we know it's fatal, but we yawn. In a couple months, that's how it will be with the CV, I'm guessing.

AZUSCfan, uscvball and DaFireMedic like this.
  14. SouthbayTrojan91

SouthbayTrojan91 Junior Member

Mar 14, 2020
    Facts:
    H1N1 killed over 12,000 people in the U.S. and was declared a pandemic MONTHS before we even declared any health emergency in the U.S.
    Panic level was zero.
    The death rate was initially stated as much higher than it turned out to be
    Why?
    1. this is an election year
    2. different party is in the white house
    3. social media

Another fact: the death rate is less than 1% for those without a pre-existing condition or over 80.
    I am pretty certain the death rate will, like every pandemic, eventually be lowered, and lowered significantly.

Anther fact: in a couple months, the lasting legacy to this will be the hit the economy takes.

DaFireMedic likes this.
  15. norcalsurfer

norcalsurfer Points Member

Mar 14, 2020
    book was great
    Movie sucked

16. DaFireMedic

DaFireMedic Junior Member

Mar 14, 2020
    I’m not sure what you are referring to regarding a failure to execute or general incompetence. I do see a failure by the public to do what the WHO, the CDC, and nearly every doctor in the country has been saying. Take it seriously, take precautions, but DON’T overreact. Americans are flying blind as much due to overreaction as anything else.

Overreaction leads to poor decision making, and now we have grocery stores getting cleaned out by panicked people, fueled by the media, thinking they are going to have to lock themselves in their homes for the next few months or perish by the Coronavirus.

Just a few days ago, there was plenty of food, toilet paper, etc on the shelves for everyone if everyone had just stayed calm and bought what they needed. Now it’s tough just to find a bag of pasta, rice, or beans. And forget about toilet paper.

I’m not worried about contracting coronavirus. I am concerned, however, about spreading it to other people should it happen, and therefore I’m taking whatever precautions that I can.

uscfd and Trojack like this.
  17. Trojack

Trojack Junior Member

Mar 14, 2020
    Unfortunately, not enough adults in the room. Nobody needs to fly blind if they simply follow WHO, CDC, and local health department guidelines. This is definitely NOT the time to question the veracity of what they are saying.

DaFireMedic likes this.
  18. BlemBlam

BlemBlam Junior Member

Mar 14, 2020
    Anyone who is really interested in learning about this from someone who not only knows as much about it as anyone in the world, but wrote a book predicting it was going to happen and where, Wuhan, it was going to come from, should put aside a few hours and listen to this.. Keep in mind it was recorded last Monday.

19. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Mar 14, 2020
    I haven't reconsidered anything. I'm not in a high-risk category and am doing what is common sense and what we have been asked. The overwhelming percent of US deaths have been in the 70+ age category and those younger had compromised immunity. Patient zero in China was symptomatic in mid-November but people really believe the first patient here was mid-January? No. CV was here and "in the community" prior to that, just not diagnosed.

Foolish is buying into the panic, panic buying, and causing undue stress for other people. The elderly, many of whom were late to the shopping party, are now having to expose themselves to much larger crowds at the store and are finding empty shelves. Talk about stress! Kids are now mandated to stay at home....what about those families who don't have child-care arrangements? Lots of families rely on grandparents to watch the kids while they work. That doesn't sound like a great combo right now. Hourly-wage workers could be in a world of hurt in just a few weeks.

The vast majority of patients will recover. The economy? Will take a lot longer.
    Just a tip for anyone with a Costco membership...TP is available for purchase with 2-day delivery.

Some of the policies enacted by various entities were not well-thought out. As a result, even more people are being exposed who wouldn't have been otherwise.

DaFireMedic likes this.
  20. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Mar 14, 2020
    Interesting to me that 2 key lifestyle factors that impacted the death rate in China were smoking and obesity. American might learn to pursue a healthier diet and to stop relying on nicotine. That's a good thing.