We simply dont have the DAWGS at OL...

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by There goes that Mama!, Apr 13, 2021.

1. Hockey10

Hockey10 Junior Member

Apr 15, 2021
    "I'd gladly trade our drafted linemen under Helton for CPC era linemen who were outstanding in college but bombed in the NFL".
    How do you interpret that? Especially when it came after a post saying Helton has two potential 1st round OL picks and PC only had 1. His exact post "no". What it certainly sounds like he was suggesting "?". Sounds that way to me. I took the whole thing in context. Not just the exact words.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2021
  2. AMLTrojan

AMLTrojan Junior Member

Apr 16, 2021
    Wow. I almost don't know what to say about that interpretation. Rather than dunk on your inability to process what others clearly understood, I'll try to be more charitable here and take this as fair criticism that I esteem my communication skills more than reality supports.

So (channels Obama voice), "let me be clear": I don't give a rat's ass about recruiting rankings or number of draftees, except insofar as they are indirect reflections of great performance on the field. When it comes to the offensive line as a unit, we have lacked better-than-average performance on the field for as long as CCH has been the coach. Thus, I do not care whether his recruits have had more than enough stars or not, or even if we are seeing our LTs drafted in the first round, when the line simply can't do its job adequately game-in and game-out. I just want to see Helton gone and his underperforming offensive line coaching gone with him.

3. Hockey10

Hockey10 Junior Member

Apr 16, 2021
    Oh, I thought that's what your stupid ass meant. I mean when someone says they would trade for Helton's OL it's definitely clear that they feel his OL has under performed and they want him fired.
    Did you play Football? Maybe you had a few too many concussions and you can't make sense. I doubt you played sports because if you did you would understand many concepts transfer over. Coaching and team concepts are very similar in most sports. When you play an odd team concept you aren't going to get the best players wanting to join.

4. Hockey10

Hockey10 Junior Member

Apr 16, 2021
    For all other posters I apologize. I have never attacked or used language against another poster. Even Ruins. This guy keeps going at me with the insults and enough is enough.

5. AMLTrojan

AMLTrojan Junior Member

Apr 16, 2021
    What I actually said:

"I'd gladly trade our drafted linemen under Helton for CPC era linemen who were outstanding in college but bombed in the NFL."

Read that again: I'd trade Helton's drafted linemen FOR CPC-era linemen. NOT, I'd "trade for Helton's OL".

Reading comprehension 101. Thanks for playing.

6. Hockey10

Hockey10 Junior Member

Apr 16, 2021
    I'll be man enough to admit you are right. It was late the night I read it and misinterpreted it. When you came back the next morning hailing insults and name calling I got drawn in and didn't realize I was wrong. I focused on the trash talk. As I stated in another post I have never insulted fellow Trojan fans even when I disagree with them. If you would have just corrected me without insult we could have had conversation rather then going back and forth with insults.

7. AMLTrojan

AMLTrojan Junior Member

Apr 16, 2021
    I respect that. Thank you. And I apologize for insulting you.

8. Hockey10

Hockey10 Junior Member

Apr 16, 2021
    Your welcome.
    Fight on.

9. There goes that Mama!

There goes that Mama! Junior Member

Apr 17, 2021
    Well after the Spring game looks like I am so far correct

10. OxyTrojan

OxyTrojan Junior Member

Apr 17, 2021
    You’re only using first rounders. How about successful NFL players who started multiple years and got paid 8 figures.
    1. Winston Justice
    2. Ryan Khalil
    3. Chilo Rachal
    4. Deuce Lutui
    5. Charles Brown
    6. Marcus Martin

Don’t need first rounders. We need great linemen, and we’ve had many just before Helton. And I don’t think there is one multi year NFL starter on this years oline

11. 4thamp1

4thamp1 Junior Member

Apr 18, 2021
    Tyron Smith was a CPC recruit.

12. zitorocks

zitorocks Junior Member

Apr 19, 2021
    I did mention that CPC had plenty of 2nd and 3rd round OL. But again, most of them did not play long in the NFL if at all. He had an uncommon number of 4 and 5* OL talent who not only did not make a first day pick, but many never played in the NFL. Here's a list of 4 and 5* OL who CPC got to USC:

D. Radovich
    S. Baker
    D. Lutui (#1 OT in his class)
    C. Rachal
    J. Byers (#9 national recruit)
    W. Herring (#39 national recruit)
    B. Lewis (#58 national recruit)
    O'Dowd (#41 national recruit)
    M. Coleman (#53 national recruit)
    M. Kalil (#20 national recruit and #1 OT)
    T. Smith (#30 national recruit)
    M. Meyer (#87 national recruit)
    K. Holmes (#109 national recruit)
    D. Campbell (#216 national recruit)
    K. Graf (#46 national recruit)
    J. Martinez (#60 national recruit)
    D. Paolo (#230 national recruit)

So CPC has had his fair share of not developing talent that he recruited to USC. Those are a lot of 4 and 5* OL on that list. Most of these guys should have been sure fire NFL starters. What CPC was able to do was get the best out of his team....his OCs were able to creat dynamic plays, deception, misdirection and overwhelm opponents. I'm not sure that we are remembering the OL play accurately. We often complained about the play and development of OL and sometimes the DL players. None of this is a defense of CCH. This is just a more accurate depiction of what did and did not happen under PC.

ssk121 likes this.