We Have Talent to Beat Oregon

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by JayBird23, Oct 28, 2019.

1. VM805

VM805 Junior Member

Oct 29, 2019
    USC wins convincingly and the Helton haters will eat a bucket of Kentucky Fried Crow with no biscuits. Take it to the bank!

Trojans 38
    Zeros 28

LucGomez40 likes this.
  2. jjg4sc

jjg4sc Junior Member

Oct 29, 2019
    After rewatching the 2nd half of the game last night, I give our guys a lot more credit than they have been getting. The other qb who went out actually looked pretty decent and threw some pretty good (and a couple of bad) passes after he got checked out. Our defense stepped up in a big way at the end. Slovis was inconsistent missing a couple passes badly but brilliant in a couple as well. Oregon is winnable - but as usual it just depends which team shows up - hopefully the one that plays well at home.

LucGomez40 likes this.
  3. zitorocks

zitorocks Junior Member

Oct 29, 2019
    USC is a different team at home. They have been for a while now. Far far better. Yes, there are a few losses at home over the past three years, but for the most part if I were to score their performances at home versus the road it would be a 6/10 for home and 3/10 for the road. So I have a little more confidence that they can beat Oregon.

4. Cardinal&Gold

Cardinal&Gold Junior Member

Oct 29, 2019
    carrying water.jpg
    This guy is carrying the water for Clay Helton.

5. 1969Trojan

1969Trojan Junior Member

Oct 29, 2019
    Since when a USC team has been 5 points underdog to Oregon in the Coliseum? Oh... Destiny! With the talent that SC has they can beat any college team. Unfortunately the only problem is coaching. With these kinds of hypes about other teams SC went to Notre Dame and lost to an average team. With good coaching hey could have beaten Notre Dame, BYU, and Washington easily. I am pleading with the players to play their best to beat this team soundly. Remember that you are carrying the great Trojan football tradition.

6. 3rd Slide

3rd Slide Junior Member

Oct 29, 2019
    In order to win, USC will have to tackle well. Best to get our anti-depresent prescriptions refilled before the game.

BESCFAN likes this.
  7. jjg4sc

jjg4sc Junior Member

Oct 29, 2019
    On offense we should be able to score and score a lot, despite our RB woes. On defense, Oregon may be able to score a lot as well, that’s injuries and youth. Could be a high scoring game but I’ve been so wrong about this whole season. Lol.

8. TrojanDrive

TrojanDrive Junior Member

Oct 29, 2019
    I don't doubt we have the talent to beat Oregon. Talent isn't the issue.

My bigger issue is a wasted season by the 6th game which removes us from the national conversation weeks before Halloween. If Helton did his job, this USC/Oregon game would hold more than Pac 12 ramifications for USC.

And that's my bigger issue. Helton has watered USC down to hoping for Pac 12 South titles to play in a CCG. His mediocrity takes us out of the national picture by early October if not before.

It's like college exams. Acing the exams later in the semester don't always help much if you failed the mid-term badly. Yeah, you may bring a D/F grade up to a C/B by doing better at the end of the semester but you likely played yourself out of an A grade by screwing up early instead of handling your business.

Helton is the definition of mediocrity. He f*cks up then spends almost his entire existence in salvage mode. USC needs someone who is an A player not a perennial 8-4 type coach. Helton can go do that at Montana St without much criticism. However, at USC it's not acceptable.

This USC/Oregon match up should have been two 7-1 teams. USC coming into it at 5-3 is a waste of what should have been a match up with national implications for USC instead of just Pac 12.

9. Wolfpack4SC

Wolfpack4SC Points Member

Oct 29, 2019
    All this talk of how any game is going to influence Helton’s status is a waste of air in my opinion. Typically new AD’s like to make their mark on a program when they are hired which typically means coaching shakeups across the board. I think someone rightfully posted at the beginning of the season that only a perfect season would ensure his return. As such I think it’s pretty low class to push his removal publicly at this point (I don’t think this board is an example of that). You’re basically telling him, “don’t let the door hit you on the way out “. I think there are better ways to encourage changes. My take is simply enjoy the game, root for the team, celebrate the victories, and let the administrators take care of the rest.

10. TrojanFireHorse12

TrojanFireHorse12 Junior Member

Oct 29, 2019
    This is not a good thing long term, it can catch up to a program.

So shut up and just enjoy mediocrity? gotcha

lol

I just take in the individual performances at this point.

11. Wolfpack4SC

Oct 29, 2019
    So shut up and just enjoy mediocrity? gotcha

lol

I just take in the individual performances at this point.[/QUOTE]

It has nothing to do with enjoying mediocrity. Do you really think I enjoy poor performances? You really misjudged me if you think that’s my perspective. I could say a lot more and make this into an argument, but I see no benefit in that conversation at this point. That’s the difference between me and you on this subject.

12. TrojanDrive

TrojanDrive Junior Member

Oct 29, 2019
    I sometimes feel like sending guys like him my USC/Oklahoma 2005 Orange Bowl DVD to understand what a well coached team can accomplish. Maybe he is trying to say he still enjoys the entertainment of just taking in a USC game. I can see what he is saying in that context. However, I don't see how anyone can defend the mediocrity of the results. 8-4 type seasons are not what USC is about on a regular basis.

TrojanFireHorse12 likes this.
  13. USCAlumFightOn

USCAlumFightOn Junior Member

Oct 29, 2019
    Jackson is probably out.

TrojanFireHorse12 and jjg4sc like this.
  14. USCAlumFightOn

USCAlumFightOn Junior Member

Oct 29, 2019

USC has a lot of support at home. As long as these message board warriors stay on their couch complaining, we're good.

VM805 likes this.
  15. TrojanFireHorse12

Oct 29, 2019
    Exactly, I know when a poor or an underachieving team is on the field and I can't take much more of it. Given the heights, it could reach and right now it's not cutting it. Because at no other elite program, (unless they are blind) would be chill or okay with sitting back and not voice an opinion, even if its in an echo chamber of a sort. lol

Though I do get what he's saying generally, that now of it is within our hands. But still, it's frustrating watching this coach, squander this program away and not reach the postseason, with such a deep/talented roster.

I was slightly taking the piss, as i do understand what you are getting at. But still regardless of the reality of possible outcomes. It's still annoying, seeing the growing apathy towards USC, with all the "they're back" or not being back, rinse and repeat.

It can't continue.

so they're filling up all the seats like Ohio State?

Last edited: Oct 29, 2019
  16. Wolfpack4SC

Oct 29, 2019
    Let me get this straight right now -what I would enjoy more than anything is to have a great experience watching a game with my son. Unfortunately I’m not very much fun to be around watching them play, and my son is uncomfortable being next to me unless they’re playing well- which isn’t very often . I’m a bit too intense and I want to be better for my son. It isn’t easy. Yet I also think I would set a poorer example if I were tagging on the coach or the referees - basically playing a blame game. I believe in personal accountability. In other words I believe very few people are afforded the best opportunities or the best coaching, but that’s not what makes you great. What makes you great is rising above adversity and believing in greatness while encouraging others to do the same. USC does not have a lot of great players right now by this description, and that’s what I find is the most disappointing. I’m not blaming the players but rather their condition. I cannot improve their condition or their experience by booing or creating more negativity.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2019
    nvargas and TrojanFireHorse12 like this.
  17. xuscx

xuscx Junior Member

Oct 29, 2019
    Agree, the people who go to games support the team. We watched Colorado at a sports bar, I thought it was a great game and had a blast watching it. Then I read the message boards and yikes, its your choice. If you come unglued for high five penalties you probably should stay away

VM805 likes this.
  18. TrojanFireHorse12

Oct 29, 2019
    Yeah, I can never blame the players unless they've shown to not be giving the team a hundred percent or something. Despite great coaching or other.

Even that I avoid, but getting at the foundation of the issue? is the root of my ire and wanting things to change. For the team to be consistent for years, but that not happening.

That's just general frustration with PAC 12 refs, as they've earned their disrespect.

19. BESCFAN

BESCFAN Junior Member

Oct 29, 2019
    Tackling, tackling, tackling...should be the main focus for SC this week. Not Helton’s lame @ss “virtual reality, safe space tackling” - actual live tackling. If not, Verdell will make fucla’s Kelley 289 yd. performance last year look like JV ball.

nvargas likes this.
  20. TrojanCampaign

TrojanCampaign Junior Member

Oct 30, 2019
    Different team?

I think it's more that we have played bad teams at home.