Vitamin D protects against colds and flu, finds major global study

Discussion in 'MKJ Off-Topic' started by CrownoftheValley, May 3, 2020.

1. Vitamin D protects against colds and flu, finds major global study
    CrownoftheValley

CrownoftheValley Junior Member

May 3, 2020
    https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/02/170216110002.htm

Date:
    February 16, 2017
    Source:
    University of Queen Mary London
    Summary:
    Vitamin D supplements protect against acute respiratory infections including colds and flu, according to a study. The study provides the most robust evidence yet that vitamin D has benefits beyond bone and muscle health.

etc....

(and they want to keep people inside...)

2. FIGHTONSC

FIGHTONSC Junior Member

WeAreSc Member
    May 3, 2020
    10,000 units a day and still going strong!
    4B2F3D7E-0E90-4161-A333-7A920CE517E3.jpeg

3. xuscx

xuscx Junior Member

May 3, 2020
    Look at the facts on high risk covid. Obesity, Heart disease, hypertension, diabetes, old age, Americans having highest number of deaths. No one can do anything about old age but it is pretty clear the message is artery and vascular disease. Yes I do believe God does send messages and the message is pretty clear, eat better, lose weight and get off your butt and exercise.

Fauci should be demanding people go outside and get a good hour of exercise per day. It is about the only thing we can do now. It appears many people have figured this out already, where is the leadership

gubo&palanka likes this.
  4. TroyBill

TroyBill Junior Member

May 3, 2020
    You realize that this idea has been pushed for years. Where have you been? If you took the time to do your homework you would realize this. Now your light bulb turns on? The AMA, APTA, ADA and other organizations have pushed exercise and diet for years. Please tell me how you convince insurance companies and the food industry to comply also. Have you ever heard of the Office of Disease Prevention and Health Promotion? It is part of the US Health and Human Services.

I see you are up to your usual blame game and implying that it is Trump's fault that people are overweight and have made poor lifestyle choices. You made the comment that Fauci should demand people should go outside and exercise. I hope you have heard the saying: " You can lead a horse to water but you cannot make them drink".

FYI, all old people are not invalids and in poor shape. My cousin is going to be 96 this year and he is playing tennis still. I exercise hard and walk several miles everyday. It is all about maintaining good cardiovascular health and a good vital capacity. Remember this is a lung disease.

5. xuscx

xuscx Junior Member

May 3, 2020
    And last week you were arguing hospitals were making more money with covid. What is you deal, my statement is pretty clear and non political

6. TroyBill

TroyBill Junior Member

May 3, 2020
    I was not arguing anything. What has that have to do with your present post? Did you read what you wrote? "Where is the leadership?" What was that supposed to mean?

DJ4SC likes this.
  7. TheRealAirbns

TheRealAirbns Junior Member

May 3, 2020
    It means that when he said this:

...he was lying. Or he isn't smart enough to understand or remember his own posts.

DJ4SC and CrownoftheValley like this.
  8. xuscx

xuscx Junior Member

May 3, 2020
    In case you missed it, we have leaders in both parties and neither side is doing a good job. It would not be a bad idea for the Trumpers to pull their head out of his ass.

9. TheRealAirbns

TheRealAirbns Junior Member

May 3, 2020
    Oh, the irony.

Doctor TB just reminded you that this information has been promoted by the AMA, ADA, APTA for years, now. It's been widely publicized. In the context of that wide promotion, what leadership do you believe is lacking?

Is it that, as a leftist, you think the government should *compel* people to eat right and exercise? Maybe kick down their doors with jackbooted thugs and force march them around the block for an hour every day?

Speaking of heads up asses, your head is so far up your own ass you need an oxygen tube fed through your navel just to breathe.

...Maybe that's not fair. In truth, you're so stupid it doesn't really make a difference where you put your head.

10. xuscx

xuscx Junior Member

May 3, 2020
    we have press conferences pretty much 24/7 at the federal state and city level. Can you show me anyone telling us to go out and exercise. Maybe some did, I missed it

11. fansincemckay

fansincemckay Points Member

May 3, 2020
    Dick head you're debating a MED. DOCTOR!!! Just ONCE STFU and LISTEN and you might learn something like an actual FACT obnoxious air thief.

DJ4SC and TroyBill like this.
  12. fansincemckay

fansincemckay Points Member

May 3, 2020
    Still need for your the daddy govt. to tell you what to do? You really are a soft POS...useless. You're Contemptable

13. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

May 3, 2020
    And right on cue, here comes old scarf-lady Birx with her daily negativity and fear-mongering.

" warned that some activities that Americans are engaging in across the country are potentially putting lives in danger as the coronavirus pandemic continues to plague the nation....It’s devastatingly worrisome to me personally because if they go home and infect their grandmother or their grandfather who has a co-morbid condition and they have a serious or a very unfortunate outcome, they will feel guilty for the rest of our lives," Birx said. "So we need to protect each other at the same time we’re voicing our discontent."

Again with the "infect the grandparent" nonsense. If there are people in America who don't like their elderly parents, those are the ones currently "living" in nursing homes and dying at high rates. Elderly parents in America, don't typically live with their kids or grandkids. Some do but it's way over the top to assume these families aren't being safe. I mean what she's basically implying is that kids and grandkids are willingly living in a way so as to kill their grandparents. Please.

"Birx also commented on California beachgoers, who are no longer permitted to go to the shore after Gov. Gavin Newsom closed all beaches. Birx said going to the beach could be safe, but only with proper social distancing. "

Could be safe? And this is the type of hard SCIENCE the dicktator who runs California relies upon to keep us locked up?

14. TroyBill

TroyBill Junior Member

May 3, 2020
    It is also interesting as a side note, there has not been a documented case of a child infecting a grandparent. I have not seen any data yet that suggests otherwise.

CrownoftheValley likes this.
  15. KeenObserver

KeenObserver Junior Member

May 3, 2020
    Trump should tell these assholes if they want to do interviews they can quit, otherwise they only make public statements in conjunction with the overall US federal coordinated effort.

CrownoftheValley likes this.
  16. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

May 3, 2020
    You definitely missed it. The leaders of Newport, Huntington Beach, San Clemente, Dana Point, and even Laguna have acknowledged the importance of getting out.

"As for outdoor exercise, people certainly need to get out, but do this in your own immediate neighborhoods.” That was from Dr Scott Morrow, health officer in San Mateo.

"Newsom released a list of outdoor activities that are approved under the state’s shelter-in-place order, including watching a sunset and “throwing a baseball” as long as it’s not in a group. “We want you to see sunsets,” the governor said. “We want you to enjoy activities outdoors. What they don’t want is people congregating outside in large groups.”

I have to laugh at throwing a baseball. Don't do it in a group but don't people have to put their hands on the ball? Just passing the ole germ ball around, lol.

Here's the official list of "approved" outdoor activities for us in CA....

• Athletics
    • Badminton (singles)
    • Throwing a baseball/softball
    • BMX biking
    • Canoeing (singles)
    • Crabbing
    • Cycling
    • Exploring Rock Pools
    • Gardening (not in groups)
    • Golf (singles, walking – no cart)
    • Hiking (trails/ paths allowing distancing)
    • Horse Riding (singles)
    • Jogging and running
    • Kite Boarding and Kitesurfing
    • Meditation
    • Outdoor Photography
    • Picnics (with your stay-home household members only)
    • Quad Biking
    • Rock Climbing
    • Roller Skating and Roller Blading
    • Rowing (singles)
    • Scootering (not in groups)
    • Skateboarding (not in groups)
    • Soft Martial Arts – Tai Chi, Chi Kung (not in groups)
    • Table Tennis (singles)
    • Throwing a football, kicking a soccer ball (not in groups)
    • Trail Running
    • Trampolining
    • Tree Climbing
    • Volleyball (singles)
    • Walk the dog
    • Wash the car
    • Watch the sunrise or sunset
    • Yoga
    What a shame, I'll have to take group gardening off my list, lol. Who gardens in a group? Again with ping pong and football....you gotta touch the ball! Singles volleyball? Hilarious! Unless it's pepper, it isn't really possible and YOU GOTTA TOUCH THE BALL....A LOT!

17. SoCalN8tiv

SoCalN8tiv Junior Member

May 3, 2020
    I absolutely love this last comment, Crown. Let's take this a step further...

Humans have known for over 10,000 years of the Holocene epoch period that sunlight is nature's disinfectant, yet we're acting like this sunlight thing is some sort of new discovery. Give...me...a...freakin'...break! Staying indoors is contrary to what the human species already know about how to handle disease. It wasn't uncommon to see sick people moved out of the village and have them isolated in open-air tents where the healers tended to their needs armed with their knowledge of medicinal plants handed down over thousands of years and used to treat disease. Many medicinal plants used back then are still used to make medicines today. Furthermore, you would think that because sunlight helps to convert fat in the body to Vitamin D that they would be encouraging outdoor activites, right? Isn't obesity a precondition of concern? But no, we have idiot politicians acting like stupid assholes and telling people to huddle in place. It's ridiculous! One thing for sure, it is that President Trump has been spot on about a lot of things during this pandemic. Unfortunately, we also have the TDS filter of the fake news media to deal with. Fake news media and the majority of Dims absolutely will not give Trump credit for his prescient instincts. Fake news does America a disservice by misdirecting the truth and obfuscating the facts.

Last edited: May 3, 2020
    DJ4SC, CrownoftheValley and 901 Club like this.
  18. SoCalN8tiv

SoCalN8tiv Junior Member

May 3, 2020
    Really? Wow, that flies contrary to what's recommended daily, which is usually ~600 - 800 IUs for adults, depending on being under 70 or over 70 years of age. A calcium deficiency condition would require a higher up in the 1000 IU range. Vitamin Ds are fat soluble which means it can build up in the body causing too much uptake of calcium and other minerals such as magnesium. If it were water soluble then the excess would be excreted during micturition. Because it's fat soluable the excess can lead to serious health problems when too much builds up in the body. I am skeptical about this extremely high IU claim.