Vavae Malepeai

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by TrenchWar, Sep 29, 2018.

1. gepetohong

gepetohong Junior Member

Sep 30, 2018
    Have to disagree on Carr, but the point that they mysteriously go away from what worked the previous game is maddening and absolutely puzzling. They did it previously with Ware and Carr, they would have great games and then hardly use them the next game. The only thing I can guess is that it’s their way of “rotating” the three starter-level talents, but it’s just an odd way of going about it.

I’m fairly certain that if any of the three were the definitive starter a la RoJo last season, that guy would have 150+ yards vs. UNLV, Wazzu, and Arizona. I understand that we don’t want to sit the other two, but I think this constant rotation prevents them from getting in rhythm and really being as effective as they can be. This rotation is to the team’s detriment, IMO.

As for Carr, he’s just a different type of runner than Vae. Vae will get you 3, 4, 5 yards consistently, then break for a good 15-20 yard run. Carr will break for 2 long ones for 40 yards each, and then run another 15 for 60 yards for 130-150 per game if he’s fed consistently. But from what I’ve seen Carr is good for couple great runs every game if given the normal starter load. He seems to be more of a rhythm guy as well, so if we’re able to consistently feed him the ball - 15-20 times a game - I think he will be a lot more effective. As it is, he’s averaging less than 10 carries but at 6 yards per clip.

2. Cardinal&Gold

Cardinal&Gold Junior Member

Sep 30, 2018
    Any of the 3 would have worked against this defense.

Arizona was giving up 30 pts a game going in. A 0-3 Southern Utah team put up 31 on them. USC scores 24 and hangs on for a win.

3. Tusc2000

Tusc2000 Junior Member

Sep 30, 2018
    Ware had a great night, and I'll take 170 yards and 2 TDs from a tailback any time. It's good to have options, and each of these three guys will be hot on different days, it's up to the coaches to figure out who the right guy is that day and let him roll.

But the TV cameras did a close-up of Ware's face in the middle of the 4th quarter and he was wincing badly -- and was unable to secure a 1st down when we needed it. I know he wasn't going to volunteer to come out of the game, but I do think Malapaei could have been inserted at this stage. Fresh legs and all.

4. Rigged4fun

Rigged4fun Member

Sep 30, 2018
    There seems to be no rhyme or reason as to who plays and who doesn't. This coaching staff hasn't a clue at times. Sorry but this last game soured me on the coaching staff's ability to manage the game.

gubo&palanka likes this.
  5. FleetwoodMack

FleetwoodMack Junior Member

Sep 30, 2018
    Took you that long?