USC at Cal game thread

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by ErikMcKinney, Nov 16, 2019.

1. gubo&palanka

gubo&palanka Points Member

WeAreSc Member
    Nov 16, 2019
    That a way, Ben!

2. BREWcorp

BREWcorp Junior Member

Nov 16, 2019
    LOL. Don’t get me wrong. I want them both fired but part of me wants Clancy fired more...the rest of me wants Helton fired more.

3. TrojanFireHorse12

TrojanFireHorse12 Junior Member

Nov 16, 2019
    the nastiest kind

going to be ugly

4. gubo&palanka

gubo&palanka Points Member

WeAreSc Member
    Nov 16, 2019
    Fink gives it when he should keep it, twice. Then on 3rd no one had a chance.

5. TrojanDave85

TrojanDave85 Junior Member

Nov 16, 2019
    He needs to be more consistent and do that when it matters!

6. TrojanFireHorse12

Nov 16, 2019
    bad coaching rearing its head

7. SC93er

SC93er Junior Member

Nov 16, 2019
    I like this CB Hewitt. He seems to have good coverage skills.

gubo&palanka likes this.
  8. TrojanHorse

TrojanHorse Junior Member

Nov 16, 2019
    Overall not too much to complain about tonight. Air Raid was clicking. Much better tackling by the defense. Could not get the run working, but Cal has a very good defense and we took what they gave us... and that was more than enough.

A very enjoyable road win.

9. Dinky Dunstan

Dinky Dunstan Junior Member

Nov 16, 2019
    Impressed with win, esp. third quarter overdrive but when USC can’t run the ball the world is askew.

gubo&palanka likes this.
  10. TroyBill

TroyBill Junior Member

Nov 16, 2019
    It was a good game and one of the most complete of the season. Just imagine what this team could do with good coaching!

11. old scotty

old scotty Junior Member

Nov 16, 2019
    Slovis is better....definitely a better fit for this type of offense, and this offensive line

SCBIGTIME, TheRealAirbns and TroyBill like this.
  12. KANDI11

KANDI11 Junior Member

Nov 17, 2019
    Lol. 41-17 final.

13. TrojanFireHorse12

Nov 17, 2019
    We are more talented than them, so of course, that's the final.

Now did you forget Oregon? and ASU? that's how this team truly performs.

14. SGVFlip

SGVFlip Points Member

Nov 17, 2019
    Slovis throw accurate deep balls, and can whip those balls around.....

Whoever said hes average at best? LMAO.....kid is a baller......give him a running game, and.look out....

15. KANDI11

KANDI11 Junior Member

Nov 17, 2019
    Bitch if we win. Bitch if we lose. This team can’t get any praise from the WLP’s

16. SoCalN8tiv

SoCalN8tiv Junior Member

Nov 17, 2019
    Weak call yes, but it was still the correct call on Rector. There also appears to be some leeway left up to the refs for interpretation as given by the "not limited to."

Targeting does not solely occur when players initiate helmet-to-helmet contact. It's defined as occurring when a player "takes aim at an opponent for purposes of attacking with forcible contact that goes beyond making a legal tackle or a legal block or playing the ball." Instances include, but are not limited to:

• Launch--a player leaving his feet to attack an opponent by an upward and forward thrust of the body to make forcible contact in the head or neck area.
    • A crouch followed by an upward and forward thrust to attack with forcible contact at the head or neck area, even though one or both feet are still on the ground.
    • Leading with helmet, shoulder forearm, fist, hand or elbow to attack with forcible contact at the head or neck area.
    • Lowering the head before attacking by initiating forcible contact with the crown of his helmet.

17. TrojanHorse

TrojanHorse Junior Member

Nov 17, 2019
    I have not heard how the running back is. I assume he is ok. No one wants anyone injured permanently obviously...

That said, the hit by Rector to start the game may have been one of the most important factors of setting the early tone. Even getting tossed out early, Rector was a big part of wining that game IMO. ...and I think 5 years ago, people would have called that a textbook perfect tackle.

18. ErikMcKinney

ErikMcKinney Administrator

Staff Member
    Nov 17, 2019
    Here's my take: That's absolutely targeting and he should have been ejected from the game. He led with the crown of his helmet and that's a hit that the NCAA can put in training videos for their officials. That's also a hit that 7-10 years ago leads SportsCenter and USC is using in every video of game review.

I'm in favor of raising the standard for ejections when it comes to targeting and the idea that Rector can be ejected from a game for making that hit the same way a guy can be ejected for spearing helmet to helmet or throwing a punch is ridiculous. Guys are getting thrown out of games far too often and the NCAA needs to do something about that. I don't know if going with a Tier 1 and Tier 2 targeting system is the way to go, because I don't trust the Pac-12 or any NCAA officials to get it right when it comes to them making MORE judgement calls. But I think a tweak is necessary at this point. The same way I feel about baseball, when there's any kind of close play and everyone immediately starts waiving to their dugout for review, is that way it feels with football now where every big hit is going to end in a video review and potential ejection.

TrojanHorse likes this.
  19. Wolfpack4SC

Wolfpack4SC Points Member

Nov 17, 2019
    The problem with the targeting rule is that it doesn’t take into effect the lowering of the head by the runner or receiver. There’s no way a tackler can avoid that contact. In Rector’s situation he had his head down simply because that is how you play the DL position - it’s a position of leverage where you get your body low to get past the blockers. There’s no way humanly possible to make a tackle with your head up coming from that position especially if you get through the line relatively untouched. Add to that the runner lowering his head and your going to get helmet to helmet contact every time. The runner is lucky he had a helmet on. When I wrestled I met a guy who liked to lower his head all the time. After bumping heads a couple times I grew tired of it and just knocked him out with a head butt. He wasn’t so quick to do that again after that.