USC announces Megan Mueller as Director of Recruiting Operations

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by ErikMcKinney, Mar 1, 2021.

1. USC announces Megan Mueller as Director of Recruiting Operations
    ErikMcKinney

ErikMcKinney Administrator

Staff Member
    Mar 1, 2021
    https://twitter.com/USC_FB/status/1366464479396061187?s=20

Megan Mueller is a Denver native who attended Colorado worked in the Colorado athletic department before becoming a recruiting assistant at Kansas under head coach Les Miles.

She's now the Director of Recruiting Operations for USC, as the Trojans continue to add to that department.

2. JImmytheGreek

JImmytheGreek Junior Member

Mar 1, 2021
    Remember the Veteran's Administration scandal. Bureaucrats exist to give the appearance of accomplishing something.

Rodgarnay51 likes this.
  3. BigDaddy

BigDaddy Points Member

Mar 1, 2021
    Hey Erik, if it's not too much trouble would you be able to post an organization tree or something similar for the recruiting department? A visual depiction of what the recruiting department looks like and how it is supposed to operate may help. Thanks

4. Buck Dancer

Buck Dancer Points Member

Mar 1, 2021
    Don't act like your not impressed.

5. Rodgarnay51

Rodgarnay51 Junior Member

Mar 1, 2021
    I guess not much experience is required for this position.

6. ICEnEC

ICEnEC Points Member

Mar 1, 2021
    So all these new hires, in various positions as far as recruiting goes. Are these hires to replace other people or are these hires for new jobs??? If these are spots being created to catch up with other programs around the country then how far in the Stone Ages were we??? Man oh man.

7. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Mar 1, 2021
    Really? She's the Director for Recruiting Operations. As it was stated, she was a recruiting assistant under Les Miles at Kansas. She did the same for the Buffs. As a student she was a student manager for the football equipment office for four years. She was also a 2-year student manager for the women's basketball team.

Sark just hired Taylor Searles for Texas' Director of Recruiting Operations. She was a recruiting coordinator at Vandy for 2 years and she spent three years at Auburn as a part of the Tigers’ recruiting staff as a student assistant.

Because Jeff Martin only worked for LSU before coming to USC. In his time at LSU, he worked as a player personnel assistant for two seasons prior to his appointment as a full-time staff member. The New Orleans native earned his bachelor of arts in mass communication in 2009 along with his bachelor of science in sports administration in 2015. Most recently, Martin graduated with his master of science in kinesiology. And now he's the new Director of Scouting and Player Relations.

I really don't know exactly what USC's recruiting ops person/personnel does but most of them are basically party planners and concierge hosts for all recruits. They coordinate the annual banquet, all official and unofficial visits, camps, clinics, dinners, social events (many of which over the years have gotten a lot of programs in trouble), help with bowl game prep, handle paperwork for coaching staff reimbursements, game day activities for recruits and their families, central repository for requests and complaints, etc. A working knowledge of college football, operations, and obsessive ability to focus on details/planning make for a good recruiting ops candidate.
    What experience do people think this candidate has to have?

gubo&palanka, Troy70 and Rodgarnay51 like this.
  8. ErikMcKinney

Staff Member
    Mar 1, 2021
    Paleolithic, compared to the big programs.

9. ErikMcKinney

Staff Member
    Mar 1, 2021
    The recruiting department is run by Spencer Harris, the Director of Player Personnel.

Under him, the department is split into four sections.

Drew Fox (Assistant Director of Player Personnel) and Jeff Martin (Director of Scouting and Player Relations) are responsible for scouting.

Gavin Morris (Assistant Athletic Director/Player Development) and Armond Hawkins Jr. (Director of High School Relations) are responsible for recruiting and relationship building.

Megan Mueller (Director of Recruiting Operations) is responsible for visit experience and operations.

Marshall Cherrington (Director of Recruiting Strategy), Alex Verdugo (Director of Graphic Design), Nick Mitchell (Director of Video Production), Will Stout (Assistant Director of Football Video Production) and a future graphic designer are responsible for marketing and creative materials.

But there is overlap between different departments, and a guy like Cherrington will be valuable in a number of ways, as he's held a few different positions in recruiting departments.

gubo&palanka, Troy70, SCthe1 and 5 others like this.
  10. ErikMcKinney

Staff Member
    Mar 1, 2021
    Some are replacements and some are new positions. But ultimately the hires will more the double what was in the department a little more than a year ago.

gubo&palanka likes this.
  11. big_pete

big_pete Points Member

Mar 1, 2021
    Seems like a good hire. She is young, smart, current, hip, obviously driven, etc....She's the type of person who players/recruits will really like. Someone who can relate to them, which seems like a pretty important thing.

...And she looks fierce on the sideline!

[​IMG]

Troy70 and AMLTrojan like this.
  12. Rodgarnay51

Mar 1, 2021
    I'm curious vball - how do you know so much about the duties of this job?

I just found it curious how she goes from "a recruiting assistant at Kansas" to Director of Recruiting Operations at USC, without really knowing what a director of recruiting operations is supposed to do.

13. Scott Rodriguez

Scott Rodriguez Points Member

Mar 1, 2021
    When we went on our OV with Jason, there was like three people involved in recruiting total. I think Bohn and Sonsa are laying a foundation of success for years to come. Great hire and it will only help us in the long run

14. GoSC27!

GoSC27! Points Member

Mar 1, 2021
    Lots of money being thrown out in recruiting. I hope it pays out! We still have to perform on the field and we still have the Helton factor! The recruiting team can only do so much!
    Fight On!

gubo&palanka likes this.
  15. ErikMcKinney

Staff Member
    Mar 1, 2021
    Yep. I believe they were at five for a while and now the push is to get to 11.

16. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Mar 2, 2021
    A good friend of mine's daughter did this job at a major D1 school. I also was friends with someone at USC who performed this job but with a different title. For a few years, I spent a couple hours prior to home games in the recruiting tent. It's operations planning, coordinating and hospitality for recruits, families, and player alums too sometimes. Detail orientation is key.

What makes you think she doesn't know what the job responsibilities are? She was in fact a football recruiting assistant at Colorado after she earned her degree. Prior to that promotion, she was a "student manager in the Buffaloes’ football equipment office, covering the 2015-18 seasons. She was one of two with the title of senior manager in 2018, worked with the running backs as a freshman and sophomore and with the defensive backs as a junior and senior."

She spent last year at Kansas doing the same job. She was also a highly successful athlete in her own right. I believe she is qualified.

KeckTMB, MitsuTrojan and Rodgarnay51 like this.
  17. Rodgarnay51

Mar 2, 2021
    Thanks for your answer. She certainly passes the eyeball test, as they say. If you think she has enough experience to do the job, that's good enough for me. I guess I relate too much to the corporate world re: the director title.

gubo&palanka, in2nation and AMLTrojan like this.
  18. SCthe1

SCthe1 Junior Member

Mar 2, 2021
    Thanks Erik, this definitely helps it all come together. Now let's see it all work! Fight on! and thanks for all of your efforts.

Rodgarnay51 likes this.