USC And Men's Golf Coach Chris Zambri Mutually Agree To Part Ways

Discussion in 'Other USC Sports' started by ErikMcKinney, Jul 9, 2020.

1. USC And Men's Golf Coach Chris Zambri Mutually Agree To Part Ways
    ErikMcKinney

ErikMcKinney Administrator

Staff Member
    Jul 9, 2020
    (USC press release)

LOS ANGELES—USC and men’s golf head coach Chris Zambri announced today (July 9) that they have mutually agreed to part ways after his 14 seasons leading the Trojans.

“We appreciate the leadership that Chris brought to our men’s golf program over the past 14 seasons and the resulting accomplishments of his teams,” said USC athletic director Mike Bohn. “We thank him and wish him all the best in his future endeavors.”

Said Zambri: “It was an honor to coach my alma mater. I was fortunate to work with so many great teams and players. I want to thank the players, staff, fans and donors who made my time coaching the Trojans so enjoyable. As I move on in my career, I will hold on to those memories and always will be rooting for the USC men’s golf program.”

Until a new men’s coach is hired, USC women’s golf head coach Justin Silverstein, who spent 2017 and 2018 as the Trojan men’s associate head coach, also will assist the men’s program.

Zambri led the Trojans to 12 NCAA Championships final week appearances, three conference titles (2007-11-18), three NCAA Regional wins (2008-12-17) and 32 event victories during his 14 seasons (2007-20).

His 2015 team was a program-best NCAA Championships runner-up, followed up by an NCAA semifinal finish in 2016 and a quarterfinal appearance in 2017. His 2008 team came within three strokes of first place at the NCAAs. His Trojan golfers won 30 individual tournament crowns, including one NCAA and three conference titles. He was the 2008 National, Region and Pac-10 Coach of the Year and also was the Region Coach of the Year in 2015.

Among the Trojan golfers he coached were two-time All-American Jamie Lovemark (the 2007 NCAA and Pac-10 champion), Pac-10 champs Martin Trainer (2011) and two-time All-American first teamer Justin Suh (2018), and All-American first teamers Rory Hie, Matt Giles and Rico Hoey. His golfers earned All-Pac-10/12 first team honors 20 times, with Lovemark (2007, Co-), Giles (2009) and Suh (2018) being named conference Players of the Year and Lovemark (2007), T.J. Vogel (2010, Co-), Hoey (2014), Sean Crocker (2015) and Kaito Onishi (2018) being Freshmen of the Year.

After playing at USC (1989-93) and twice selected to the All-Pac-10 second team, Zambri spent six seasons on the Nationwide Tour. He also competed in several PGA Tour events and the 1995 and 1999 U.S. Opens as well as being an active teaching professional.

His 2020 USC men’s golf team had just won the Southern Highlands Collegiate event in early March before its season was cut short due to the coronavirus pandemic.