UNC goes online

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by Troy70, Aug 17, 2020.

1. UNC goes online
    Troy70

Troy70 Junior Member

Aug 17, 2020
    After one week of classes 130+ new cases have school changing to remote classes. AD said still planning on playing.

2. AnArchitect

AnArchitect Points Member

Aug 18, 2020
    But "football is unaffected."

So... these guys are "students" - yet there's going to be a different set of rules and special accommodations while they ahem... work... on University business?

Sounds like an employee to me.

3. silversprint

silversprint Junior Member

Aug 19, 2020
    This is why they should have never opened. Now students are scrambling to move out of dorms. They have to find somewhere to live. They also already paid the school so many have to come up with extra money for rent or move back home.

UNC administrators look like a bunch of idiots. They risked everything to avoid losing the on campus revenue now they have a circus on their hands.

This is a prelude to how their football season will probably go down.

4. ForwardUntoDawn

ForwardUntoDawn Points Member

Aug 19, 2020
    It's wrong that schools have even been trying to offer on-campus options.

Ten years ago online education was a joke because it was nothing but message board posts on things like Blackboard and easy grades because no one could stop you from cheating. But in the last four years we have seen vast improvements in teleconferencing, internet speeds, internet availability, mobile phones. And believe it or not I literally did most of my masters degree on my cell phone. My coursework was accessible from an app, lectures were accessible from an app, I could take my tests through the chrome web browser.

I hope this is the beginning of the end for dorms.

When I look back on things there really was no reason I had to be in a dorm. I learned nothing of paying rent because I was not paying rent. I learned nothing of having to cook for myself because I had elaborate cafeterias and restaurants to choose from. And guess who paid for all of that?

Taxpayers and my parents.

5. ErikMcKinney

ErikMcKinney Administrator

Staff Member
    Aug 19, 2020
    No school was better prepared to drop the “student” from student-athlete than North Carolina. Been working on it for years.

Troy70 likes this.