Twelve team playoff likely coming to college football

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by ErikMcKinney, Jun 10, 2021.

1. 4thamp1

4thamp1 Junior Member

Jun 10, 2021
    Really? 12 teams?
    There is such disparity after the top 3-4 teams that everything else is grist.
    Better to keep it to 6 and keep some tradition with major bowl games instead of making a further mess of CF.

AMLTrojan likes this.
  2. KeenObserver

KeenObserver Junior Member

Jun 10, 2021
    It's to get more money into the SEC. They'll have 5 teams in it every year.

AMLTrojan, zitorocks and gubo&palanka like this.
  3. qqqqqqqman

qqqqqqqman Junior Member

Jun 10, 2021
    After the usual complaints by #13 and #14, the following year they’ll put in Play-In Games.....between #11 and #14....and #12- #13.

Of course, we’ll be #15.

4. Cardinal&Gold

Cardinal&Gold Junior Member

Jun 11, 2021
    https://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaa-football/news/boise-state-mountain-west-conference-tv-realignment-aac-pac-12-big-12/krk9etbpkj091cj2pgn7gqqxc
    Boise State and SDSU have been shopping around for a new conference?

The biggest issue is the bottom feeders that cheapen the conference and quality of the league.

Last season:
    Oregon St. 2-5
    Arizona 0-5
    Washington State 1-3
    Cal 1-3

These 4 teams were a combined 4-16 last year. Every 3 years they show up but most of the time they are non competitive punching bags. Unless they play USC. How is a Selection committee going to take the Pac 12 seriously. I would replace these 4 teams with teams like
    Utah State
    BYU
    Boise State
    Maybe a Texas team? Baylor
    Or Texas A&M gotta be closer then the SEC schedule.
    Notre Dame?

This would make the top three teams in the conference legit contenders. Voters are not impressed with the Pac 12 schedule.

Beating a ND, Texas A&M and Boise State and winning your conference carries more weight than beating Arizona, Cal and WSU.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2021
    Trojanfan1963 likes this.
  5. CoronaTrojanFan

CoronaTrojanFan Junior Member

Jun 12, 2021
    Agree with Zito - ND's ACC "affiliation" will give them some extra chips at the table when CFP selections come around (not to mention gives them some easier games with ACC schools instead of their traditional rivals like Michigan or MSU every year).

6. CoronaTrojanFan

Jun 12, 2021
    As a native SoCal person, find this playoff proposal something that could pretty well cause the Rose Bowl to be brought down another couple of pegs within what appears to be the drive by the NCAA to hold championship games in NFL stadiums with fancy facilities for NCAA brass and business partners. Not sure how much longer NCAA would be willing to accept outdoor stadium with large amount of bleacher benches as a key playoff or even CFP championship site when there is an ever-increasing number of indoor pro palaces available.

7. heyrev

heyrev Junior Member

Jun 12, 2021
    Yes, agree. I'm probably the lone wolf here but I would rather trash the whole playoff thing and go back to the "mythical" champion days. To me, it made CFB better. There was less emphasis on who was best and more on the simple enjoyment of the traditions, pageantry, and amateur nature of students who happen to play football, too. I'll bet the coaches and kids enjoyed it more, too. I know, the ship has sailed...

Kaptain Karl likes this.
  8. KeenObserver

KeenObserver Junior Member

Jun 12, 2021
    I actually agree with you on something regarding CFB.I loved New Years Day. Best sports day of the year. Now its ho-hum!

They could even go back to the bowl system and have a +1. Very few time in the bowl era was there not a clear 1-2 after the bowls.

9. CoronaTrojanFan

Jun 12, 2021
    I know in my almost 70 years on the planet a lot of ships have sailed:

1. Who would have ever thought that another franchise could get anywhere near the amount of NBA titles Boston Celtics had by the end of the 60's? And that that franchise would be the Lakers?
    2. Who would have ever envisioned college football would arise to the level of big money influences generated by cable/internet networks and equipment manufacturers much less a Division 1 playoff system that has pretty much swallowed up the bowl game system in search of big money playoff games?
    3. Who would have ever thought that the Olympic Games would now be dominated by professional athletes as it is now?
    4. Who would have ever thought that all professional sports would be dominated by forms of free agency that allow athletes to pretty much dictate who they will play for and that sports entertainment tickets would cost hundreds of dollars to pay the bill for such competitive bidding on player talent?

As the song goes "what a long and strange trip it has been"

Peete2Affholter and USCSAE like this.
  10. TrojanHorseshoe

TrojanHorseshoe Junior Member

Jun 12, 2021
    Her woke sensibilities have proven her ignorant enough to think so. Don’t think Bohn would allow it, though. He’d resign before extending doh. folt the Dolt wouldn’t let Bohnerino resign over retaining doh. Bad optics. I believe in Bohnerino.

gubo&palanka likes this.
  11. Gold Trojan

Gold Trojan Points Member

Jun 12, 2021
    My take:

* 12 is a good number, but they need to cap the # of teams by one conference at 3.
    * The 1st round needs to have teams 1 - 4 have a bye, and teams 5 - 8 host teams 9 - 12 at home.
    * The 2nd round should have teams 1 - 4 host the winners of round 1 at home.
    * The quarter finals and championship game should be played at the traditional New Years Six Bowl locations

earlandnic and Peete2Affholter like this.
  12. PacTrojan

PacTrojan Junior Member

Jun 12, 2021
    With the exception of the 3 team cap, you have laid out the working groups proposal. I have to agree with Big-12 Commissioner Bob Bowlsby said to ESPN
    "The practical effect of this will be that with four or five weeks to go in the season, there will be 25 or 30 teams that have a legitimate claim and practical opportunity to participate. That should make for an extraordinarily good October and November."
    It was also noted that
    "The working group didn't include which bowls might be a part of the CFP in the future, but it did recommend that if "traditional bowls" host games, teams would be assigned to their traditional bowls for quarterfinal games with the priority going to the higher-seeded team. "I would add I think this model, in conjunction with the bowls, gives college football an opportunity to reassert ownership of New Year's Eve and New Year's Day in a really powerful way," [Noter Dame AD] Swarbrick said. "That's such an important part of the tradition of college football, and this allows us to reassert that." "We chose intentionally to honor that," Bowlsby said.
    So basically if a Pac-12 and Big-Ten champs are both in and make it the quarter finals, they would be matched up in the Rose Bowl (assuming that the RB and CFP are back on speaking terms after the legal dustup over the use of the Rose Bowl's name in the relocated CFP last season).

Next stop for the 12 team CFP proposal is the CFB Board of Managers who meet in Dallas on June 22 have to approve it and they're...
    Eric Barron. Big Ten Conference. President, Penn State
    Rodney Bennett. Conference USA. President, Southern Mississippi
    Jim Clements. Atlantic Coast Conference. President, Clemson
    Gordon Gee. Big 12 Conference. President, West Virginia
    Jack Hawkins. Sun Belt Conference. President, Troy
    Rev. John Jenkins. Independent. President, Notre Dame
    Mark Keenum, Chair. Southeastern Conference. President, Mississippi State
    Kirk Schulz. Pacific-12 Conference. President, Washington State
    Satish Tripathi. Mid-American Conference. President, Buffalo
    R. Gerald Turner. American Athletic Conference. President, SMU
    Keith Whitfield. Mountain West Conference. President, UNLV

https://collegefootballplayoff.com/news/2021/6/10/12-team-playoff-proposal.aspx

Last edited: Jun 12, 2021
  13. Scalum76

Scalum76 Junior Member

Jun 13, 2021
    A 12 team playoff will only assure that the SEC will get half of their conference in by saying the playoff should be for the best teams and we all know there rigged schedules and East coast bias and ranking bias. Usually 3, 4 or 5 teams in the top 10. The play 1 or 2 tough games and usually only 1 will be a true road game. Even with a loss they drop 1, 2 or 3 spots and their back to the top in a week. So unless something really changes a 12 team playoff won’t be fair but it will make the SEC richer with 6 to 8 teams getting playoff money.

Kaptain Karl and gubo&palanka like this.
  14. TroyP

TroyP Active Member

Jun 13, 2021
    I guess I just don’t understand why they can’t make it a round tournament number, like 8. Put in the champions of the Power 5 conferences, and three additional teams if they’re ranked high enough, including ND if they’re in the top 8. Why go with 12?! Just to get an additional revenues from 4 games? It’s like March Madness….just keep it at 64 instead of 4 play-in games making the field 68.

Peete2Affholter and Kaptain Karl like this.
  15. CoronaTrojanFan

Jun 14, 2021
    Agree - 8 teams gives you 7 games over 3 weeks to reach a champion which could still fit somewhat with the major bowls (and their traditional conference affiliations) and perhaps the final in a fancy NFL palace to boot and still stay somewhat within the confines of the academic break between end of the fall semester/quarter and beginning of the winter/spring semester/quarter (as if academics really had any place in the conversation anymore!)

16. Trojanfan1963

Trojanfan1963 Points Member

Jun 14, 2021
    Lol…maybe

17. Peete2Affholter

Peete2Affholter Junior Member

Jun 16, 2021
    12 is better than 4, but I do prefer an 8-team, 3 week playoff. I agree that the max number from a conference needs to be capped at 3. Otherwise this will just be the "SEC Showcase."

I know one of the charms of college football is that it is NOT the NFL, and that there are traditional powers who are usually always good, and traditional doormats who are almost always bad - but I also think that one of the real downsides of CFB is that this "tradition" creates an inherent insurmountable bias against the traditional minnows. Boise State has run a very good program for the past 20 years and have never seriously been considered for a top ranking or what would now be a playoff berth.

Any system where more than half the teams, at the start of the season when everyone is 0-0, are effectively eliminated because their name is Iowa State, or Kansas, or Boston College, instead of Oklahoma, Alabama, Clemson or Ohio State, is flawed and should be broken up. One nice thing about the NFL (and every other pro league in any sport for that matter) is that every single team, at the beginning of the year, has an equal chance of getting into the playoffs, as long as they win the games they need to.