Trojans fall to Ohio State 24-7

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by GarryP, Dec 29, 2017.

1. sddjd

sddjd Junior Member

Jan 2, 2018
    While I agree with most of his comments on play calling and special teams, this was also somewhat of a canned article. For all the heat our OL is taking, USC put up 413 yards of offense to OSU's 277; as much as Darnold had to run for his life there's NO argument to say we couldn't move the ball.

This was a game where just a couple breaks going the other way could have completely changed the outcome (and yes I'm being charitable with the appalling lack of performance by the referee crew, which should already have been the subject of a fiery protest by our AD):

The infamous clothesline, missed conversion into scoring territory

Next scoring opportunity stolen from Mitchell

And the next, same corner and same ref (coincidentally)

Even Urban walked away from this last no-call trying to hide the smirk on his face at the blatant PI that occurred. Now, every team in every big game needs to be prepared to deal with a move past missed/blown calls, but we also need to acknowledge that the article's description of USC's failures to execute are largely based on two egregious touchdown-saving penalties by OSU. Our receivers were open in both cases, and without the PI's momentum shifts and the final drive possibly being for a tie or go-ahead score.

Shoulda, coulda, woulda... yes. We stepped on our own feet repeatedly, but Meyer's article could easily have USC and OSU flipped but for a handful of plays in what was otherwise a statistically strong performance by USC, and one that IMO solidified the argument against OSU's claim that they deserved a CFP slot (something Alabama backed up last night).

Still, eleven wins ugly or not; fight on!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
    Rodgarnay51 likes this.
  2. rusoviet

rusoviet New Member

Jan 2, 2018
    Compared to the heavy weight title fight all witn3essed last night at the Rose Bowl - the Cotton Bowl was a mismatch from the opening set of downs by USC. There was no 'change' for the 2nd half....the offense was a pedestrian as they had shown in the 1st half. Poor play calling an inconsistent running game and bad passes by Darnold = defeat. Papadakis said best when he commented about ESPN stating USC had 'over achieved'. "No they under achieved."

Rodgarnay51 likes this.
  3. dbergusc

dbergusc Junior Member

Jan 2, 2018
    I agree the D obviously did have a few times they struggled, such as the last Barrett TD scramble (although that goes to the rest of the defense too), but they didn't allow them to score after that for the final 35 minutes. Against a top 10 offense giving up only 17 points was as good as anyone could expect.

The Clemson/Bama game looked eerily similar where the one DL basically controlled the game and created some turnovers. But I think we did a better job of controlling Ohio State later in the game than Clemson did against Bama.

in2nation and Rodgarnay51 like this.
  4. Rodgarnay51

Rodgarnay51 Junior Member

Jan 2, 2018
    These hires would make a huge difference for the Trojans. I mean, how could it be more obvious that the play calling and design need a complete overhaul, and the offensive linemen are in need of improvement?

5. Rodgarnay51

Jan 2, 2018
    You're both right, IMO. It's just not a very good way to end a season, especially one that held so much promise.

6. Rodgarnay51

Jan 2, 2018
    I agree. Baxter did not earn his salary this year - the returns and coverage were both very poor this year. Maybe hire a full-time TE coach and give Baxter one more year on special teams?

7. Rodgarnay51

Jan 2, 2018
    You are a master of understatement bobdrake.

8. Rodgarnay51

Jan 2, 2018
    Totally agree.

9. GoSC1

GoSC1 Junior Member

Jan 2, 2018
    Ending a season with a loss, sucks big time. It is even worse if the loss is like what we suffered at the Cotton Bowl. If we had played the first half like the second half and still lost, it would have hurt, sure, but not suck, like this.....

Rodgarnay51 likes this.
  10. Rodgarnay51

Jan 2, 2018
    You can add, no blocking.

11. Rodgarnay51

Jan 2, 2018
    Yes, it was an empty feeling, and if the defense hadn't worked their butts off, there would have been absolutely nothing positive to hang our hats on, IMO.

12. TXTrojan_itul1

TXTrojan_itul1 Junior Member

Jan 2, 2018
    What we need is some "nastiness" on the lines. Look at the GA or Bama teams... those guys bring a nasty attitude to play. I see some of the Bama guys push off on opposition helmets when getting up off the turf. I mean it takes some attitude to bang heads every down and we don't seem to have it when playing imposing teams, especially OL. I know we had a lot of injuries and played some young guys for the first time this year... hopefully this will bode us well moving forward.

However, in the Cotton Bowl, I was worried about this and it was clearly an issue. We do have some serious talent at RB and WR, however, if your QB is running for his life after 1.5 seconds... this talent has no time to shine. The issues on OL (specifically) and DL must be improved in the future... O State (or if it had been Bama or GA or Clemson; same scenario) showed us that we are lacking in this area.

Rodgarnay51 likes this.
  13. Poodlemothra

Poodlemothra Junior Member

Jan 2, 2018
    Any person with an ounce of objectivity knew going in to this game that Ohio St. would dominate the Trojans. The Trojans aren't at that level yet. Perhaps that will never happen with Helton stirring the ship. Helton has another year to prove some of us right an some of us wrong. The finish was not unexpected.

Rodgarnay51 likes this.
  14. Rodgarnay51

Jan 2, 2018
    Fans, by nature, are not objective. At least I'm not. I didn't expect us to win, but I didn't expect a first-half flop either.