Trojans fall to Ohio State 24-7

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by GarryP, Dec 29, 2017.

2. VM805

VM805 Junior Member

Dec 29, 2017
    Garry no bs, do you think Neil Callaway needs to resign from his position as Oline coach for the USC Trojans? If so, who would be on your short list to coach the Oline going forward?

3. BigBen

BigBen Junior Member

Dec 29, 2017
    Tough loss but I am still proud of the team. The O-line struggled against a great defense as pretty much everyone expected, which really was the main problem. The turnovers really killed us but they were mostly due to the pressure. Proud of the team as they continued to fight and the defense played outstanding. Looking forward to getting better in the off season.

Fight On

4. Tod78

Tod78 Junior Member

Dec 29, 2017
    How did Iowa hang 55 on those guys?

The defense played well enough to win. You can say it was the turnovers, but the turnovers didn’t just happen. The OL getting worked over is the big story.

bobdrake and oajr01 like this.
  5. CoronaTrojanFan

CoronaTrojanFan Junior Member

Dec 29, 2017
    Haven't been this disappointed in a USC bowl performance since '83 Fiesta Bowl when my wife-to-be and I saw Penn State throttle Marcus Allen and USC.

This game was almost a repeat of this year's drubbing at South Bend except for the fact that Clancy and his D did a very good job of holding down tOSU but given the turnovers leading to a couple of short fields even that tough D couldn't hold the fort down.

Refs certainly didn't cost USC the game but how could they not call PI's on those two pass plays where in one case the Buckeye defender closelined the receiver (I think it was Burnett) and in the other the guy never turned around and simply mugged Steven Mitchell in the end zone?

in2nation, bobdrake and SC in DE like this.
  6. priam7

priam7 Junior Member

Dec 29, 2017
    The OL is simply not mature ....I think the freshmen will get better but they were out matched today.....I thought we did a good job against their running game and we had thing go against us with the officials and the turnovers were why we lost....A lot of folks thought we were a year away.....I believe that now.......!

Troy70 likes this.
  7. Cyrus

Cyrus Junior Member

Dec 29, 2017
    Second half score was 0-0, but the damage was done in the first half.

8. CrownoftheValley

CrownoftheValley Junior Member

Dec 29, 2017
    Four turnovers... all that needs to be said. Our defense played well enough to win most games. The offense handed 14 points to osu in the first half. That’s how you lose a game.

9. CrownoftheValley

CrownoftheValley Junior Member

Dec 29, 2017
    It didn’t help with the refs ignoring three blatant pass interference calls against osu. Frustrating .

559er, BREWcorp and Troy70 like this.
  10. CroTro

CroTro Points Member

Dec 29, 2017
    I'm not going to argue with the turnover but the oline play was atrocious....we couldn't score more then 7, plenty of opportunities to score more...

in2nation, bobdrake and gubo&palanka like this.
  11. 101Coast

101Coast Points Member

Dec 29, 2017
    I disagree that this game could have been worse. Despite the "look" of the game, it could have been the opposite had a couple things not gone the other way. The defense stopped their offense in the 2nd half. The offense had their issues but still had their opportunities. The no call in the end zone and the easy missed field goal could have been 10 points. SC had their chances to score and I don't think all those misses were because of the OSU defense. They made it hard but you can see the individual talents of the SC players and if put in the right places, could have played with that defense.

The offensive scheme/playcalling was the same we fans have questioned all season long. If we can see it, you know the coaches on the other side have analyzed that to the moon and back the last few weeks.

in2nation and BREWcorp like this.
  12. KANDI11

KANDI11 Junior Member

Dec 29, 2017
    There were a few confusing play calls but for the most it was good. OSU defense was allowing less than 300 yards per game. SC had over 400. Turnovers were the killer

in2nation and DJ4SC like this.
  13. BESCFAN

BESCFAN Junior Member

Dec 30, 2017
    I will be very disappointed if Callaway is retained. Helton needs to bring in an actual OC as well as The Martin experiment is a failure. Down by 3 scores and no up-tempo, 2 minute drill offense? Nothing less than embarrassing. Meyer was probably laughing his @ss off with how incompetent the play-calling and lack of tempo SC had in the 4th quarter. The SC offense looked like a bunch of bumbling idiots in a Chinese fire drill with 5 minutes to go in the game. Martin is clueless. Defense played their hearts out but the offensive execution was disgraceful.

bobdrake, scottsdaletrojan and oajr01 like this.
  14. Awsi Dooger

Awsi Dooger Junior Member

Dec 30, 2017
    I was there. Dreary day and game. It was actually January 1982 and the Fiesta Bowl's first intrusion on New Year's Day.

We got pushed around. But similar to Ohio State that was a very talented Penn State team, good enough to return mostly intact and defeat Alabama for the national title a year later.

Months after that Fiesta Bowl during an interview for a Daily Trojan article I asked John Robinson if the loss was a jolt. He didn't hesitate: "Damn right it was a jolt."

15. usc1011

usc1011 Junior Member

Dec 30, 2017
    Next year's team should be better.......can the coaches capitalize.

rhinochaser likes this.
  16. SoCalN8tiv

SoCalN8tiv Junior Member

Dec 30, 2017
    The offensive line was an offensive sieve with buick size holes. tOSU obliged by leaving tire tracks all over Sam Darnold...

in2nation, bobdrake and Troy70 like this.
  17. Troy70

Troy70 Junior Member

Dec 30, 2017
    Turnovers lose games. OL couldn’t open running game & protect pass.

in2nation likes this.
  18. dbergusc

dbergusc Junior Member

Dec 30, 2017
    I think you're half correct Garry, the O line was pushed around and unable to give any protection or consistently open running lanes. But I don't think you can say the D line was pushed around. They got better as the game went on and held the OSU offense in check after the early short field scoring drives. Holding OSU to 0 points in the second half shows they were holding their own when the offense wasn't contributing. They were the only bright spot and did what they needed.

in2nation and BREWcorp like this.
  19. oajr01

oajr01 Junior Member

Dec 30, 2017
    Aside from the obvious OL woes (and defensive let downs, containing JT, three sacks, no picks, no forced fumbles), this post says it all. How in the hec do you run up the middle with little time left when it hasn't proved successful all night long? How in the hec do you not call up-tempo plays with the minutes ticking off the clock? How and why was that allowed to happen? I mean, doesn't CCH have to take some responsibility for this?

Fight On!

Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
    BREWcorp likes this.
  20. 101Coast

101Coast Points Member

Dec 30, 2017
    This offense has been this all year. Superior talent won those games. You can see where the difference lay when the guys on the other side have the same stars as yours.