Track & Field Early Signees

Discussion in 'Other USC Sports' started by trackdude, Nov 22, 2017.

2. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Nov 24, 2017
    Looks like an improvement for the field events.

3. trackdude

trackdude Junior Member

Nov 25, 2017
    It does look good. We have that new hammer thrower from Dana Pt., very curious to see her compete.

4. CrownoftheValley

CrownoftheValley Junior Member

Nov 26, 2017
    The decathlete Owens looks like he has an incredible build coming out of high school... dayum

5. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Nov 27, 2017
    Here's what I don't get trackdude.....why do we not have or develop a distance squad? There is so much talent in SoCal and we could immediately compete but we leave it on the table.

6. fansincearnett

fansincearnett Junior Member

Nov 28, 2017
    Not trackdude, but my answer would be lack of available scholarships... especially for the men. The women do have a cross country team and a new coach. Maybe he can develop some distant runners who can help the women's track program.

7. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Nov 28, 2017
    Then how are other programs doing it?

8. fansincearnett

fansincearnett Junior Member

Nov 29, 2017
    Vball, Can't give you a definitive answer only speculation on my part. Private school vs state school. State schools can give partial scholarships whereas SC won't or can't. There are only a handful of schools across the country that field a full track team with Oregon being the primary one that comes to mind. How they can have two or three excellent people in every event.... only Uncle Phil knows.

SC gives its scholarships to sprinters, hurdlers, jumpers and the weight people. Nothing available for distant runners or pole vaulters.

Some schools concentrate only on the distant events. (Colorado, Stanford)

UCLA recruits only to defeat SC in their dual meet.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
  9. mfortroy

mfortroy Junior Member

Nov 30, 2017
    As a long time SC track and field fan (since the 60's), I would say that for the most part all of the above is largely true related to our lack of a solid distance program. I've had some communication with our new distance coach (Coach Patrick Henner), who has an excellent background coming from Georgetown, where he established a very strong men and women's program. With his hiring, I think that the staff (and administration) is committed to having a viable program with (possibly) an emphasis on getting some select international talent. On the women's side, we've had some really good success in the past, with this approach. Regarding the men (with our limited scholarships) this is much harder to do. We'll see.

10. trackdude

trackdude Junior Member

Nov 30, 2017
    Two main things: 1) no cross country team; 2) no scholarships for X/C

Being an urban school doesn't help, but we use to field a X/C team so it can be done. (BTW, there are no X/C scholarships for the women either. Any scholarship given for a X/C athlete comes out of the track allotment)

I don't know if I agree with that, but understand the sentiment. Coach Allice was key to keeping the dual meet alive when ucla was willing to let it die.

11. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Nov 30, 2017
    I really hope you're right. When I looked at the National Championships and saw we didn't even participate, it bummed me out.

12. mfortroy

mfortroy Junior Member

Dec 1, 2017
    On a broader note, the upcoming April signing period is absolutely critical for the immediate future of the program, particularly for the Men. We're losing a number of really important athletes e.g. Cunningham, Ponzio, Ford, Morgan and Sloan, etc. after 2018. All of whom will need to be replaced with high quality performers.