Time will tell if Sark is a good fit

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by GarryP, Dec 2, 2013.

2. egrimwad

egrimwad Junior Member

Dec 2, 2013
    The writing is on the wall if anyone cares to read it. Mediocre assistant at USC and in the NFL, mediocre to bad at Washington, where many coaches have surpassed what Sarkisian accomplished in five years. Unimaginative and boring play caller. He will be a constant underachiever until he and Haden are done at SC.

3. TailbackU

TailbackU Junior Member

Dec 2, 2013
    Time will tell? The time was NOW. Horrible hire of a mediocre coach by the worst AD in America. A dark dark day for USC football.

4. tossem

tossem Junior Member

Dec 2, 2013
    It is an interesting hire, mainly you would have thought the hire would be someone who had a very good record as a coach. Interesting also since he could not beat Stanford or Oregon, plus a loss to UCLA and this after coaching 5 years at Washington. Washington is one thing, and he had quite a few there who wanted him gone. If he can't beat those teams here, plus on top of that add a loss to ND, and there better not be any words that we have to realize that the team is still under sanctions. I expected a surprise not a step backward, no wonder coach O quit.....

5. cigar95

cigar95 Junior Member

Dec 2, 2013
    Garry, let me ask something very basic and (I would hope) non-controversial -

How does one properly pronounce "Sarkisian"?

The guys on television often have it rhyming with "Artesian", but I had long thought it was "Sar-KISS-ee-an".

6. TheRealAirbns

TheRealAirbns Junior Member

Dec 2, 2013
    Hey Garry. Was Haden, by chance, wearing a clown suit when he announced this? The choice sure makes it seem like he might be auditioning for his next job.

7. priam7

priam7 Junior Member

Dec 2, 2013
    I knew that with a loss to ucla the support for Coach Ed would diminish (and sure enough the "board" started jumping off the bandwagon like a fire had started). Losing to ND and the bruins is not good for the resume in seeking an SC job. Washington was ZERO when Sark took over and he did well (though this year was a disapointment). I like his offense. I want us to stay a pro style offense and bring in the top skill players with NFL desire's. I was not excited by the Boise,Vanderbilt,or Texas A&M guys because though I respect them I don't think they fit here. At first I thought Del Rio was a good choice but he has been a pro coach so long,like Monty, he is what he is. I think Sark gets LA and I don't know if the others do.

8. WarriorPoet

WarriorPoet Junior Member

Dec 2, 2013
    I'm not thrilled with the hire, but Udub was 0-12 when Sark got hired. Sark took them to from horrible to respectable... but not sure he's the one to take us to the promised land either. Since Coach O was going to leave if he wasn't offered the job Sark was maybe the only guy who could save this recruiting class. With Del Rio not available until Feb. 1st... became pretty much a non-starter with Coach O leaving. Is it better to have Sark or James Franklin... Sark while not the sexy hire, will be an easy transition for players that have dealt with alot. Not sure if the defensive coaches Sark brings are an upgrade... on paper it seems like a step back. As much as Sark is tied to Kiffin, they are very different guys with very different personalities and backgrounds.

9. trojandave

trojandave Junior Member

Dec 2, 2013
    I am fully onboard with Steve Sarkisian, the "Sark!!" I believe that, although not a "home run" we were all looking for, Sark has all the intangibles and resources to be successful.

Sark has been able to turn around a moribund football team
    Sark is bringing along a young and talented staff
    Sark and company can recruit

It appears that Pat Haden wants USC to train up a head coach, so I guess we'll take it. So, here's to making all the stars align!! Go SARK and FIGHT ON!!

10. 1diehardSCFan

1diehardSCFan Junior Member

Dec 2, 2013
    I live in the great Pacific North West, and there are only three things you hear on sports stations, Mariners, Seahawks, and UDub... doesn't matter what the season is. What they're saying up here is that while Sark may not have taken them as far as hoped, he left them vastly improved, to the point where the new guy can step into a rising program. Incidentally, they are also speculating on Mora as his replacement! Anyway, that's what the local stations are saying, but what I've seen is a team that makes a run in the early going... starting 6-0, or 5-1, but then when the schedule gets tough, they fade. Considering early schedules generally consist of a number of cupcakes, that's not so good. Sark not only hasn't won a NC, he hasn't won a PAC12 championship, or even the north division. I don't think he's a bad coach, or a bad guy, but I just don't see his hiring as a 'homerun' in any sense. Can he surprise? Of course, but is it likely? I doubt it... With the improved talent he'll have, I expect 9-3 as the norm.

11. AJSCFAN

AJSCFAN Junior Member

Dec 2, 2013
    GarryP,

Did CEO at least get an interview before Pat Haden went with Sark as the head coach? If not, I wonder why was the resignation so quick. This reeks of a disrespect resignation by CEO? Please let us know any information. Thanks.

12. usc88

usc88 Junior Member

Dec 2, 2013
    You are right.

Only time will tell how good Coach Sarkisian is a good fit at USC.

But we have to give him a chance.

It is obvious by now that the really big names don't want to coach at USC. Otherwise, they would
    be here.

But I hope that he doesn't follow Kiffin's mistakes and learns from them.

13. Rigged4fun

Rigged4fun Member

Dec 2, 2013
    My question is the way Coach O resigned and walked off. Sure he has a reason to be upset, but to leave the team knowing there is a bowl game still to be played, doesn't that tell you something about his character. Sure he told us it's not about him, it's about the players yet the leaves them high and dry. It sounds like to me Coach O has a bigger ego than he displays. Maybe this was something that Haden saw through him. I along with others enjoyed Coach O's positive attitude, however I would be concerned about his character.

14. Troy70

Troy70 Junior Member

Dec 2, 2013
    Pray for SC this works. When Lane came to the OC Trojan Club you could tell he was uncomfortable in front of the boosters. Sark last was in the OC for our recruiting dinner. He brought Sanchez & both worked the crowd. I recall he said Mark was our QB before Spring Camp. Both Sark & Coach O were at easy with our club. He follows alot of Pete methods with the players.

15. usc1011

usc1011 Junior Member

Dec 2, 2013
    If Sark pulls Jackson and five to ten high quality recruits to USC in the next two months wonder if some folks on this board will start to regret their words.

16. RRDub

RRDub Junior Member

Dec 2, 2013
    Did Pat Haden really fire Kiffin under the cover of darkness at LAX only to end months of speculation by hiring Kiffin's coaching clone? What a massively wasted opportunity and total confirmation that SC refuses to move on from the Pete era. Haden gets a fail. Norm Chow is next. Than Ken Norton. This is sad!

17. RRDub

RRDub Junior Member

Dec 2, 2013
    Did Pat Haden really fire Kiffin under the cover of darkness at LAX only to end months of speculation by hiring Kiffin's coaching clone? What a massively wasted opportunity and total confirmation that SC refuses to move on from the Pete era. Haden gets a fail. Norm Chow is next. Than Ken Norton. This is sad!

18. CCtrojanfan

CCtrojanfan Junior Member

Dec 2, 2013
    I'm OK with this hire. I actually think Kiffin has the better football mind, but, Sark seems to be able to relate better with the "people", players/fans/media. That goes a long way in the perception of many. If it wasn't going to be a "homerun" hire, I didn't think there were any, or Ed O, this is the hire I'm good with. All the names being thrown around...they don't belong at SC. They don't have the passion for USC football. Kiffin, Ed O, Sark...they want to be Trojans.

19. Edmonton Oilers

Edmonton Oilers Junior Member

Dec 2, 2013
    I guess Haden's reasoning is that if Sark can turn a terrible team into an average team, then he'll be able to turn an average team into a great one.

20. NJ Trojan

NJ Trojan Junior Member

Dec 3, 2013
    I believe that Sarkisian is a good coach, and I believe that he loves the college game, so he would probably be willing to stay at USC for a long time if he’s successful. I’m just not sure he’ll be very successful. He’s had five years now at Washington and he’s never been able to get the Huskies to or near the top of the conference. After Washington fired Neuheisel for what seemed like a pretty silly reason, the Washington program tanked for six years. I mean they were really bad and Sarkisian deserves all the credit in the world for leading the Huskies out of the cellar and into the middle of the Pac. But after deregulation and before the BCS, Washington was one of the best programs in the nation. Granted that coincided with USC’s wilderness years, and happened before Oregon really came on, but Don James set the standard against which all Washington coaches will be measured, and Sarkisian has fallen short. Before that, Washington was a good program, more in line with what Sarkisian has accomplished, but even then, the Huskies were a bit better than they have been for the past five years. On the other hand, I'm not sure there were any truly better options.

John McKay once said there are only three things you have to do to succeed at USC: Beat UCLA, beat Notre Dame, and win the Rose Bowl. Good luck Sark!

21. VictorDarkbloom

VictorDarkbloom Junior Member

Dec 3, 2013
    Time may tell otherwise, but his resume speaks of sustained mediocrity. Top tier jobs should require a track record of top tier results.

Time is the one thing we DO NOT have. Our time expired when Lane Kiffin turned a preseason #1 team into a 7-6 Sun Bowl loser. The PAC 12 upping its game and USC if falling behind. Another 3-4 years of subpar results will only make our return to championship level play that much more difficult.

Our time was already up. A time-will-tell hire is not what this program needed.

22. Tr0jan

Tr0jan Junior Member

Dec 3, 2013
    I am as upset as anyone but am willing to support Sark and watch it play out. One thing I noticed is that recruits are giving a positive feedback so far. But even if he brings in a top 5 class I am not sure that he can catapult us to the level we expect. I am having flashbacks to his play calling days for USC when he was very mediocre. I live in Seattle and have been watching most of his UW games. I am very worried about his in game adjustments. His teams were not able to get up for the big games like Oregon. You rarely saw him outcoach anyone other than maybe that Boise state game this year when he had all spring and summer. I think the key to his hire is bringing in a big time play caller and recruiting some big time athletes for defense. So far this hire looks like it at least will get our recruiting back in shape.
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1873140-usc-commits-and-targets-react-to-trojans-hiring-steve-sarkisian

23. nakzh53

nakzh53 Junior Member

Dec 3, 2013
    Sark is now the coach.. what's done is done. There's no sense in continuing to linger on the decision process and other candidates that were considered. Those things are now irrelevant. As Sark said in the press conference, it's time to let his record do the talking! Winning solves everthing!