This is not for the Kool-Aid drinkers among us

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by MiketoBush61, Nov 22, 2020.

1. This is not for the Kool-Aid drinkers among us
    MiketoBush61

MiketoBush61 Points Member

Nov 22, 2020
    Utah has been a tough place to play. They are always physical and well-coached. But, having not played a game, in fact, having had two canceled they had to scramble, if you will, to make sure over the past 10 days that they could field 53 bodies. They are young. Have no downfield receiving threats. QB position questionable. Replacing a lot of secondary people, etc., etc.

So, even though this remains a CH coached team (and, I use that term "coached" very loosely) I was still shocked to see that it has gotten worse since last week. Getting 5 turnovers (4 that mattered) and unbelievably great field position due to that, USC did dominate the ball game but again, really failed to capitalize. Ohio State would have had closer to 70 points than 30 vs. this Utah team.

This Utah team that we just played is not as good as Arizona.

I now call USC the "Groundhog" Trojans, since it's the same old, same old. We're just not football smart. I saw the Trojans snap the ball with 10 seconds remaining on the play clock up two scores in the 4th quarter. On Wilmore's 21 yard run for Utah, Steele, who was there, decided to try and see if he could "de-materialize" himself and go through one of his teammates to make an impossible tackle. All he had to do was go to the edge and make the tackle.

Tackling? Did I hear you say tackling? We don't need to frickin' tackle! Because we can't. Started the first time we punted to them. Hewett had a straight on kamikaze hit on the receiver and couldn't get it done. That was on a sitting target. I'm not going to list the numerous other examples of easy tackles that were missed because guys try to "bump tackle" instead of wrapping a guy up, etc., etc. CH & I just have to agree to disagree. I say tackling is underrated and he obviously thinks that tackling is overrated.

Positives? Despite the above, I continue to see great energy from the defense, and, more guys running to the ball than in recent years. Okay, so they can't tackle. Maybe it's asking too much of a group of non-tacklers to play with energy, swarm to the ball and make the tackle too. Something is better than nothing. And, when in man (although Utah, between the QB play and the WR's didn't have much of anything to threaten us with), the coverage is much improved over the last several years. Individually, I thought both Goforth & Mauga had more good moments than bad.

Forget "situational mastery." I would settle for our OC understanding what to do vs. a 3 man front with 8 dropping back and instead of pointing to the rushing yardage as proof of his commitment to more balance, learn when it is to our advantage to run. Like, instead of just calling the plays he wants to, that he is actually watching and feeling the game and knowing that we have just been gashing Utah, have a great rhythm with the run game and should keep doing that instead of taking his foot off the gas. I would love to see our DC say that on 3rd & long, we will be in a zone defense so a NON-running QB can't hurt us. Bentley ain't even related to Aaron Rodgers as far as legs go.

So, we continue to get "gifts" from our opponents, not to mention the schedule maker and CH continues to go to church and we are now the worst 3-0 team in America, having previously been the worst 2-0 team in America. So, we have some consistency there.

Meanwhile, as CH continues to pray for situational mastery instead of doing something about it, I will enjoy being 3-0 instead of 0-3, or, probably a more realistic 1-2 (Utah really sucked).

See the bird, shoot the bird, pluck the bird, cook the bird, eat the bird...oh dang! I didn't mean to put to words what opposing coaches think of CH...

2. USC1

USC1 Junior Member

Nov 22, 2020
    Well said. Spot on I too thought the ILB played much better especially Mauga they had clean lanes because our DL was very disruptive. The defense gave up 10 points and should have been only 3 if DCTO would spy the quarterback on 3rd and 13 instead the “dual threat” QB who runs as fast as our DL Pili “sprinted” for 32 yards and a first down.

It’s frustrating to watch this offense. We settle for 3 field goals in the second half because we can’t impose our Will against a totally rebuilt Utah defense. Slovis still doesn’t look crisp our line had an opportunity to run the clock out at the end of the game with an effective run game opportunity and he ran for minus 3 yards in three attempts. Graham use the game to get better!!! Challenge your oline and RB to keep the ball and get first downs that type of situational mastery is so vital not for this game but the next game in which you need to run for a critical first down.
    Clay thinks kicking will always win you games NOPE your o line needs win battles

TrojanFireHorse12 and yah20002 like this.
  3. qqqqqqqman

qqqqqqqman Junior Member

Nov 22, 2020
    Not only cancelled games, but I’m sure Utah’s practices were weak for the past three weeks.

If that had been ‘SC and Helton, I shudder......

TrojanFireHorse12 and yah20002 like this.
  4. MiketoBush61

MiketoBush61 Points Member

Nov 22, 2020
    You know what's weird to me? I wonder what Helton actually does. I mean, he has given total control of the defense to TO and the offense to GH. He doesn't do special teams. He said he is responsible for discipline, and, penalties, etc., etc., but, I think he just walks around at practice, sticks his nose in to make a comment and that's all...

TrojanFireHorse12 and Burak Uslu like this.
  5. OCBeachTrojan

OCBeachTrojan Points Member

Nov 22, 2020
    Clay is there to WASTE all 3 timeouts so we don’t have any at the end of 2nd Half/Game....not just this game but every game! He is “on the spectrum” when it comes to clock management!

TrojanFireHorse12 likes this.
  6. TrojanFireHorse12

TrojanFireHorse12 Junior Member

Nov 22, 2020
    I lost my mind when he was doing that.

Like what the hell are they doing in practice? up-tempo is dead in the water.

7. conquest4ever81

conquest4ever81 Points Member

Nov 23, 2020
    3-0
    SCOREBOARD
    All that needs to be said.

8. Burak Uslu

Burak Uslu Points Member

Nov 23, 2020
    Helton is in charge of discipline and penalties and I think the team discipline and penalties speak for itself, no?

Also he is in charge of general practice, and change contact practices to situational mastery and walk throughs.

9. heyrev

heyrev Junior Member

Nov 23, 2020
    What kind of bullshit comment is this? Criticize away about football but leave this personal slander off the board. No one deserves that.

BESCFAN and KeepCalm&FightOn like this.
  10. BESCFAN

BESCFAN Junior Member

Nov 24, 2020
    This has been a bad situation for Trojan fans. You want the team to win for the players’ sake. On the other hand, winning “enough” games prolongs the seemingly never-ending mediocrity that Clay Helton brings to this program. Clay just sucks...period.

11. Burak Uslu

Burak Uslu Points Member

Nov 24, 2020
    You summarized my USC Football experience for the last 3 years

12. Trojack

Trojack Junior Member

Nov 24, 2020
    Actually, no. He has not given total control of the offense to GH. Watch the play calling. It is not typically air raid nor is it typically GH. Helton is still keeping his greasy finger on the play book no matter what he is telling the press. Much of the calls look like 2018 and before when GH was not here.

Burak Uslu likes this.