The truth about what this team proved by beating Utah.

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by TrojanCampaign, Sep 20, 2019.

1. The truth about what this team proved by beating Utah.
    TrojanCampaign

TrojanCampaign Junior Member

Sep 20, 2019
    A few takeaways for me.

I have been consistently saying for weeks now, USC is the fifth most talented team in the country. If this team played a game was good execution, they could compete with anyone.

Utah is extremely overrated. This is that awkward time in the year when we don't know how to rank most of the top 25. But I must ask, what good team has Utah beaten this year? Did Utah bring in a top 15 recruiting class? Did they win a bunch of games last year?

The answer to all of those questions is no. Utah like the rest of the teams in our conference are built like a gang of 5 teams. Every few years they can put together a team of upperclassmen. And within that team you have a few key players. But when those key players are gone the entire team falls apart.

Utah looked like a MWC team. Sometimes we have a no line that is badly coached. But we have talented players who are coachable at every position. Utah on the other hand was extremely outmatched. Their QB was running for his life. Their receivers were meh. That big defensive tackle looks like the only defensive who could even start on our team.

I'm truly happy that we won, but this still seems like a flashback to last season. We can win games and we have significantly more Talent than the other team. But this team is never going to make it to the next level like this.

If we were playing a team like Georgia or Clemson blown out by playing the way that we did. A win is always better than a loss but this win just felt like another case of us getting by because we have so many 4-5* recruits that Pac-12 teams don't have.

I think this team exceeds expectations and wins 8+games though.

2. trojanworld

trojanworld Junior Member

Sep 20, 2019
    We are still a 6 win team . But nice write up

TheRealAirbns likes this.
  3. GoSC27!

GoSC27! Points Member

Sep 20, 2019
    The box score says differently, Utah beat themselves especially in the red zone and with untimely penalties!
    Fight On!

4. qqqqqqqman

qqqqqqqman Junior Member

Sep 20, 2019

You lost me here.

What does that even mean? Do you go through the 22-deep on the Top 40 teams and analyze their players’ talent levels, or sumpin’? Or are you just biased a little? The NFL Draft doesn’t seem to show similar results these days.....

5. MiketoBush61

MiketoBush61 Points Member

Sep 20, 2019
    If USC was the 5th most talented team in the country they could overcome the ineptitude of Clay & Clancy because they could tackle and run the ball for at least a buck fifty every game in addition to being able to make stop when it's 3rd & long.

Over the years I have looked at each year's roster and projected the number of "sure-fire" players that make the NFL. I only count 22 on this year's team. Whether I am right or wrong, that doesn't equate to the 5th or even 10th best talented team in the country...

Troy70 likes this.
  6. August West

August West Points Member

Sep 21, 2019
    Utah outplayed us in almost every category but the final score.

The difference was talent, especially their DBs vs our WRs.

7. CrownoftheValley

CrownoftheValley Junior Member

Sep 21, 2019
    Utah lost their number two offensive weapon early. That hurt them a lot in the red zone. Probably cost them two touchdowns. The rest of the season will show if they are over rated. We are not fifth most talented team either.

BREWcorp, Rainman44 and trojanworld like this.
  8. TrojanCampaign

TrojanCampaign Junior Member

Sep 21, 2019
    Sorry for the bad English I was leaving the Coliseum and on my phone.

9. RDTK

RDTK Points Member

Sep 21, 2019
    Perhaps. But Clueless Clay has proven he doesnt develop talent. The best thing for USC is for CH to be gone and start the next chapter with someone who is a proven winner or get lucky with the next "next big thing".

10. Usc_teeth

Usc_teeth Points Member

Sep 21, 2019
    No need to say too much here because everybody pretty much corrected the OP already.
    5th most talented?
    Why don’t you watch Alabama, LSU, Oklahoma (bye week), Clemson, Georgia, Ohio State....okay I’ll stop there, and tell me how much more talented we are than all 6 of those teams.
    We actually got pretty dominated after the first quarter. Their best offensive player was injured in the first (previous injury that Utah kept under wraps). Time of possession was almost 40 min to 20. We stopped them inside the 5 yard line twice, blocked a fg, they looked like us with about 10 big gains called back on penalties. We had more turnovers, we rushed for like 1 yard per carry and had -17 yards rushing entering the 4th quarter.
    I kept looking at the stats wondering how we won the game because the stats spelled a 14 point loss.
    Two big things....we were home and the WRs were too much for their DBs. The game plan by Harrell was exactly what it needed to be. If we forced the run we would have lost and then somehow we ran it at the end when we needed to. It was a miraculous win. Could help get us to 6 wins if we are lucky lol.

BREWcorp and Rainman44 like this.
  11. GoSC1

GoSC1 Junior Member

Sep 21, 2019
    Yeah, and we were down to our #3 quarterback. What’s your point?

12. GoSC1

GoSC1 Junior Member

Sep 21, 2019
    Proven he doesn’t develop players? Seriously? That was our 3rd string qb in there. Let’s be honest, most of us expected Utah to win, I did,especially when Slovis went down. Yet Fink comes in and they light em up. No way that happens at most schools 3 deep. I no longer support Helton, but I will respond to clear up any mistruths

TXTrojan_itul1 and DaFireMedic like this.
  13. DaFireMedic

DaFireMedic Junior Member

Sep 21, 2019
    Except the passing game, which is the core of our offense.

We were talking about how BYU cut off our our short passing game and challenged us to throw deep, which we didn’t. Against Utah we did, and successfully for the most part.

But yes, they did have better numbers in nearly every other category, mainly because we had no success running the ball until the end of the game.

gubo&palanka and USCTFL like this.
  14. trackdude

trackdude Junior Member

Sep 21, 2019
    I'll take the win no matter how ugly, but the 13yds total rushing is most alarming. 13 yds!!!!!!!!!!! That is not going to win us future games.

15. DJ4SC

DJ4SC Junior Member

Sep 21, 2019

We are not a top 5 team talent wise....so?.......have you got a point?

16. flyfishintrojan

flyfishintrojan Junior Member

Sep 21, 2019
    It was a win , no question, but a really weird win. We won because we had one kid a foot and half taller than the kids trying stop him and a great effort by a 3rd stringer.We also put together about 8 big plays that proved decisive.

However none of the issues infesting this team have been exterminated, they were all there as usual. You want a team to have a few big plays, but the other plays should be efficient and workmanlike, but not scattershot mess ups like last night.

DJ4SC, TheRealAirbns and gubo&palanka like this.
  17. SeattleTrojan

SeattleTrojan Junior Member

Sep 21, 2019
    I’m not sure we’re even in the top 3 in the Pac12. It sure looks like UW and the quacks are more talented. I’d say it’s a toss up between USC and Utah on overall talent.

Bama, Clemson, LSU, Georgia, Oklahoma, ND, Ohio St, Michigan...

I don’t see it. Our WR’s are elite, and Pittman made Fink look great on some Hail Mary type throws. DT’s are elite. RB’s are good, secondary good but young. OL is far from elite, but improved. LB’s are below average.

18. IrightI

IrightI Junior Member

Sep 21, 2019
    some ill advised throws that turned into completions and in some cases touchdowns offsets an incredible game of ball control by Utah.

19. DaFireMedic

DaFireMedic Junior Member

Sep 21, 2019
    Give him a some credit though. Fink also made some beautiful throws, especially that deep ball where he hit Pittman in stride on a critical 3rd and long late in the game.

Rarely can you trust your 3rd string QB to step in and start throwing the ball successfully right out of the gate. This was critical because the running game was non-existent until late in the 4th quarter.

gubo&palanka likes this.
  20. nvargas

nvargas Junior Member

Sep 21, 2019
    Our LB's wouldn't start for Bosie St. Not trying to roast them, it's just reality.

It's been a while since I've seen such ineffective LB's just bouncing off tackles. Seriously, it's like the other players were covered in grease. Where was the pad-popping, where was the "knock-back" power of hits. Where was the bullying (you're gonna have nightmares of me tonight")?

Other than Hufunga and Jackson, there are no enforcers out there, and that's disappointing considering Houston/EA's pedigree.

Tough win though! Defense manned-up when they were needed...penalties and all.

And no, we'd get destroyed by Clemson/Bama/Oklahoma...even on our best day.

Rainman44 and TheRealAirbns like this.