The Official Unofficial Game Prediction Thread - Week 6 - UCLA

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by TrojanHorse, Dec 7, 2020.

1. The Official Unofficial Game Prediction Thread - Week 6 - UCLA
    TrojanHorse

TrojanHorse Junior Member

Dec 7, 2020
    Hard to believe the last game of the “irregular” season is here. A win puts us in the Pac-12 Championship game. But the bruins have been surging. Will this nice performance by the Trojans on Sunday cause them to be a bit overconfident and come in unfocused?

Post your best prediction of the final score for this game. We will announce winners after the game—assuming there is a game.

To see last week’s winners, click here and scroll down:
    https://wearesc.com/forum/index.php?threads/the-official-unofficial-game-prediction-thread-week-5-washington-state.75801/page-3#post-1148643

The Basic Rules of tabulation this week will be as follows:
    -We will track predicted scores (one guess per person) and come up with a winner by 'least cumulative variance.' That is, the real variance of each team's guess added together.
    -If two people have given the same score, then the first one that gave the score is the winner. Other than that, there could be co-champions. if two people have given different scores, but have the same cumulative variance.
    -Edits to posted scores will be allowed until game time.
    -If the least cumulative variance happens to pick the wrong winner, they will be awarded "Closest to the Pin,' but the overall winner must guess the winning team correctly.
    -A 'Most Wrong' Award will be given out for the guess with the largest cumulative variance.
    -No more guesses or changes after kickoff.

Please observe The Following Honorary Rules:
    -The Cardinal & Gold Rule - Whole numbers only. Fractional numbers will be rounded up.
    -The NorCalSurfer Rule – No ‘Negative’ score predictions
    -The BigGuard Modification - If someone has two guesses in the same post, for humor or other purposes, the second (last) pick is the one that will be used to make it consistent... so try to be clear.
    -The Trojan Eternity Clarification – If a contestant inadvertently (or otherwise) makes more than one pick, the last pick will be the one used for the purposes of the competition. Technically, this would be the “last” pick.
    - The Lizard King Rule – In order to qualify for the honorary title of most wrong, guesses must be at least somewhat within reason. Nothing over 70 points scored for instance is probably reasonable for either team this week.
    -The Lizard King Clarification – If a player picks a score over the above stated maximum, they will not be considered for the Coveted Title of Most Wrong for that week. Players will get one mulligan per season on this clarification rule.
    -The Globe Rule – If more than one player has the same net differential, but at least one has picked the correct team to win...then no “Closest To The Pin” Trophy will be awarded that week.
    -The Golden Trojan Rule – Picks must be posted in the correct weekly pick thread. Otherwise they will not be picked up and counted toward the contest.
    -The Beeto Clarification –If two or more people are declared co-winners as a result of having the same net differential, but a third (or more) person has a duplicate score, those later duplicate scores will be disregarded for purposes of the weekly competition only. They are still used for the YTD competition.

A Season Long Champion will also be crowned:
    -each week we will calculate the 'average' net points for any participant that has picks in at least 2/3 of the available games.
    -We will include all games through the regular season in this format. However, once any playoffs or post season games begin, you MUST play those games in order to continue on to become the season champion. It's sort of like the Fed Ex Cup.
    - Last year the Season Long Prediction Czar was @Carlsport He was also our first multi-year winner.
    - This year in addition to year long bragging rights and the knowledge that you really are better than everyone else, Erik will also award a WeAreSC polo shirt to the winner.
    - It's a long season, don't give up. Have fun and thanks for playing

Remember, this thread is about having fun, expressing our honest opinions on how we think the team will do THIS WEEK, and maybe even learning a little from each other. We are not going to always agree with everyone on our predictions--but this is not the place for calling people out or derogatory comments. Otherwise you may get virtually flagged for unsportsmanlike conduct.

Give us your prediction and tell us why you think it will happen. On any given week we could be very right or very, very wrong. That's sort of the nature of sports though isn't it? You win some...you lose some. You pick your self up, dust yourself off, and tomorrow is a new day.

Beat the Bruins!

2. zitorocks

zitorocks Junior Member

Dec 7, 2020
    Trojans - 34
    bRuins - 23

Slovis with 3 TD passes, 300+ yards. Run game comes back to life with 175 yards. Defense sustains their ball-hawking performance by grabbing 2 INTs and a fumble recovery. They hold DTR to less than 200 passing and 50 yards rushing.

3. SC87

SC87 Points Member

Dec 7, 2020
    UCLA is the best team we will have played so far. Which isn't saying a whole lot. Our defense is showing signs of improvement but UCLA always seems to befuddle our D. They ran wild on us last year. So a close one if we can't run the ball any better than .3 yards per carry or get the same number of turnovers as we did with WSU:

USC 38
    UCLA 31

4. zitorocks

zitorocks Junior Member

Dec 7, 2020
    I'm not worried about our defense, with the exception of potential penalties. It's not really fair to compare this year's defense to last year or any of the past several years. This is Orlando, Williams, So'oto, Naivar...first season with our defense.

in2nation likes this.
  5. TrojanHorse

TrojanHorse Junior Member

Dec 7, 2020
    We finally have a game with an opponent that has enough games played to draw some conclusions…so watch, this will be my worst pick of the season

I think so much depends on whether or not we get back our offensive line and some of our other injured players. I do believe the offense could have easily scored more points yesterday if they had kept their foot on the peddle. UCLA front 7 could present a problem if our line is depleted though. If so, I can only hope we see more roll outs so Slovis is not a sitting duck back there.

I will go with USC 32 – UCLA 27

6. Globe

Globe Junior Member

Dec 7, 2020
    Sorry boys but its gonna be ugly this week. DTR runs wild & our one-track offense can't keep pace.

UCLA 37
    SC 24

7. cutlerdaddy

cutlerdaddy Junior Member

Dec 7, 2020
    SC - 38
    FuCLA - 28

Fight On!!!

8. ICEnEC

ICEnEC Points Member

Dec 7, 2020
    SC 45 30 (I can't even bring myself to type their freakin name)

9. GoSC1

GoSC1 Junior Member

Dec 7, 2020
    If we cannot get a running game going, Saturday will be ugly... in more ways than one. If our running game is non-existent - highly likely, and the bRuins will not be making the mistake of playing man (again highly likely), it is at the Rose Bowl where UCLA upsets over SC happen.... I won't go against our guys, so SC 17 UCLA 14.

But, honestly?......

10. CrownoftheValley

CrownoftheValley Junior Member

Dec 7, 2020
    USC 47
    bRuins 30

11. trjnfnz

trjnfnz Junior Member

Dec 7, 2020
    No way the Ucla D has nothing to slow down the SC passing attack and this SC D showed me against Wazzu that they can slow DTR down. You have the score right just the wrong teams

Usc 37
    Fucla 24

12. Cyrus

Cyrus Junior Member

Dec 7, 2020
    Harrell and Orlando earn their paycheck:
    SC 42-28

13. in2nation

in2nation Junior Member

Dec 7, 2020
    Agree ruins are the most balanced team we will face so far. But our offense will produce, and our D is better than their D.
    USC 42
    Fucla 17

14. Arhedge

Arhedge Junior Member

Dec 7, 2020
    I’m a glass-half-empty kind of guy, but I’m worried about this one.

USC 24
    UCLA 23

15. SGVFlip

SGVFlip Points Member

Dec 7, 2020
    Usc. 41
    Ucla 27

16. BESCFAN

BESCFAN Junior Member

Dec 7, 2020
    My biggest concern is SC’s JV coaching staff unable to make adjustments - like almost every game. I fear SC loses this one as fucla has much better coaching and have been steadily improving. Fucla’s mobile QB and Harrell’s one-dimensional offense and SC likely comes up short. No silver lining if SC were to lose as we are stuck with Clueless Helton through at least 2021. Hope I am wrong...

Fucla 34
    SC 31

17. holt7153

holt7153 Junior Member

Dec 7, 2020
    35-31 good guys