TACO MADNESS 2021, THE TOURNAMENT FOR L.A.’S FAVORITE TACO, IS BACK. VOTE NOW!

Discussion in 'MKJ Off-Topic' started by 901 Club, Apr 8, 2021.

1. TACO MADNESS 2021, THE TOURNAMENT FOR L.A.’S FAVORITE TACO, IS BACK. VOTE NOW!
    901 Club

901 Club Junior Member

Apr 8, 2021
    In Los Angeles, the pandemic is ending, and our tacos are rising. The one constant in this city will forever be charred meat, tortillas, and salsa, and no virus or amount of development will ever change this.

In 2021, our tacoscape is the most robust it’s ever been.

Taquerías, whether street stand or brick and mortar, are L.A.’s original take-out food. In a dire year that saw the untimely shuttering of so many businesses across the city, taqueros and taqueras used their tortilla ingenuity to push themselves ahead. Many taco shops reported spikes in sales and some street vendors, against all odds, even opened brick and mortar shops. Many who lost their jobs in other industries that took a significant hit took to tortillas to get by.

This year’s 32-seed taco tournament is a culminat.....

https://www.lataco.com/taco-madness-2021/

++++++++++

Everything taco welcome in this thread.

So, who's got the best taco?

2. fssca51

fssca51 Junior Member

WeAreSc Member
    Apr 8, 2021
    I'm a down- to- Earth type of guy. No frills for me. I like Del Tao's regular beef taco with sour cream added. Hard to find problems with that. Give me a root beer with it and I'm good to go.

3. 901 Club

901 Club Junior Member

Apr 8, 2021
    Ah, a root beer fray to the thread.

I hear "root beer" and think of the A & W stands of my salad days and the roller-skating service --

[​IMG]

Isn't A&W a Coke product now?

CrownoftheValley likes this.
  4. fssca51

fssca51 Junior Member

WeAreSc Member
    Apr 8, 2021
    Product of DrPepper/SevenUp inc. Plano, TX per the can I'm looking at. I do hope DrPepper/ SevenUp Inc . is not wholly owned by Coca Cola because it's too good to boycott. Pepsi poducts aer my go-tos .

5. SoCalN8tiv

SoCalN8tiv Junior Member

Apr 8, 2021
    Are we talking before childbirth or after? If it's before then Megan Fox gets a thumbs up...

6. Ricky Bell 42

Ricky Bell 42 Junior Member

Apr 8, 2021
    Not a taco, but here is my choice:
    https://images.app.goo.gl/NVuAQxGPe3fVwGX68
    Emberrada con chicharon y Chile Verde at LA Azteca on chevy chase near the railroad tracks. Dive place cash only, by about 1:30 they start to run out of food. I heard George Lopez shoots some of his shows there.

7. Murrestree

Murrestree Active Member

Apr 8, 2021
    Grab a taco and beer, but pandemic is still waving. Nonetheless, this Mexican food captures the stomach of most of the people.

8. fansincemckay

fansincemckay Points Member

Apr 8, 2021
    Right in the middle of Toonerville?

9. Trojan YAF

Trojan YAF Points Member

Apr 8, 2021
    Yes, unfortunately. It was A & W that got me to like root beer.

10. Trojan YAF

Trojan YAF Points Member

Apr 8, 2021
    My mother made the best tacos I ever had. My favorite tacos in a restaurant were hard-shell "super-tacos" from Dave's in San Clemente, an eatery that catered to surfers. This is also the first place where I had a chimichanga back in 1974.

Dave's stayed in business from the early '70's to the 2010's, but the last time I was down there, it had become a burger joint.

11. Trojan YAF

Trojan YAF Points Member

Apr 8, 2021
    Although I usually go there for burritos, especially breakfast burritos, King Taco, a chain of eateries located mostly in Mexican-American communities makes great soft-shell tacos. Choices for fillings include Buche (pork belly), Lengua (tongue) and Chicharron (pork rind). Their hot sauce is especially tasty.

Trojanfan562 likes this.
  12. holt7153

holt7153 Junior Member

Apr 8, 2021
    My favorite ones come from the taco trucks or carts, and there's some great ones nearby.

13. IETrojanFan

IETrojanFan Junior Member

Apr 8, 2021
    Not near LaLa land but my favorite is the shredded beef taco from a local restaurant Rosa Maria’s. Can’t beat it. That and their meat, bean, cheese burrito make a great meal.

14. Ricky Bell 42

Ricky Bell 42 Junior Member

Apr 8, 2021
    Yep, I grew up not too far away.

15. CrownoftheValley

CrownoftheValley Junior Member

Apr 8, 2021
    an aside to an aside

A&W Root Beer is a root beer brand primarily available in the United States and Canada that was founded in 1919 by Roy W. Allen.[1] When Allen partnered with Frank Wright in 1922, the partners combined their initials to create the A&W brand and inspired a restaurant chain, also founded that year. Originally, A&W Root Beer drinks sold for five cents.[2]

The rights to the A&W brand (except for Canada) are owned by Keurig Dr Pepper, which in turn licenses the brand to the similarly named U.S.-based restaurant chain. A&W Root Beer products are distributed via various U.S. bottlers. A&W Food Services of Canada, which is independent of both Keurig Dr Pepper and the U.S. restaurant chain, is responsible for the restaurants and the marketing of root beer products in Canada,[3] with retail products bottled and distributed by the Coca-Cola Company. The U.S. variant is also sold as an import drink in Southeast Asia and Italy (where A&W has restaurants), as well as in Australia, Chile and other countries.

History

On June 20, 1919, Roy W. Allen opened a roadside root beer stand in Lodi, California, using a formula that he had purchased from a pharmacist.[4] He soon opened stands in Stockton, California as well as five stands in nearby Sacramento, home of the country's first drive-in featuring "tray boys" for curbside service. In 1920, Allen partnered with Frank Wright and the two combined their initials to create the A&W brand name. A mistaken notion is that the initials were derived from Alice and Willard Marriott; this may be because Marriott's first business was an A&W franchise.
    There is still an A&W restaurant in the original Lodi location... been there, lots of old A&W artifacts in the store.

reTiredEngr likes this.
  16. reTiredEngr

reTiredEngr Junior Member

Apr 8, 2021
    Root beer, my first alcoholic drink! At least that's what they told me when they put the mug in front of me.

17. fansincemckay

fansincemckay Points Member

Apr 8, 2021
    So did my son.