Swagger

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by CP619, Aug 28, 2019.

1. Swagger
    CP619

CP619 Junior Member

Aug 28, 2019
    Just some thoughts watching the Miami/Florida game last Saturday...

Did anyone see the "305" Turnover chain? Did anyone see the Touchdown "5 Finger Rings"?

I can only imagine if USC decided to try something like this when we're not ranked...the backlash would be overwhelming.

Anything that goes against "tradition", USC fans seem to freak out. Remember when John Robinson went to LSU...people were up in arms. Does anyone know what his job was at USC? I didn't even know he worked there.

In the era of Oregon having a new jersey every Saturday....in the era of Miami having fun on the sidelines...

My questions is this:

Is USC behind the times?

When USC was ROLLING under PC, everyone was having fun, and our swagger was on full display. Pete would combine Hollywood and USC...it was a freaking party on the sidelines. National TV ate it up. Recruits ate it up. We were ahead of the times, to be honest.

But what about now? Where is our swagger when we are not ROLLING?

Recruits watch these games and "tradition" is not what they want to hear. Living in the past never works in sports, in my opinion.

Looking forward to everyone's thoughts...

2. CP619

CP619 Junior Member

Aug 28, 2019
    Funny, the problem with my original thread was I had "Having Fun" in the thread title...it opened to a page that reads Unauthorized.

I guess having fun is out of the question.

DJ4SC, jjg4sc and SCBIGTIME like this.
  3. AtownSC

AtownSC Points Member

Aug 28, 2019
    Dont forget we had the turnover cape for one game last year.

4. CP619

CP619 Junior Member

Aug 28, 2019
    Florida #8 sure didn't display anything resembling quality or disciplined football. Not many teams in the country can claim those 2 things.

5. DaFireMedic

DaFireMedic Junior Member

Aug 28, 2019
    You must be authorized to have fun.

Swagger seems to be something that is earned by quality of play. We say that we want to see some some swagger and confidence, yet over the last two seasons, some of the guys tried to fire up the team after making good plays and were soundly criticized here as being cocky and overconfident.

So where is the line between confident swagger and appearing cocky and arrogant? Is it the level of success that earns the right? Is it maintaining a degree of self-control?

Hard to say. All I know is that I like to see the team fired up, enthusiastic, and with a degree of confidence when they come onto the field.

TrojanFireHorse12, yah20002 and CP619 like this.
  6. CP619

CP619 Junior Member

Aug 28, 2019
    Well, Oregon and Miami haven't had any real success recently, yet they continue to show swagger and appear to be having fun. Why not USC? And it seems to be working for Oregon based on their recent recruiting classes.

I was watching the USC vs ND 2005 game last night...yes, I have no life...when USC made a play, the sidelines would go crazy. Pete Arbogast, at one point, thought ND fumbled the ball based on the sideline reaction to a simple tackle.

I remember the backlash for identical sideline reactions under other coaches post-PC.

I'm sick of the fans and media trying to hold USC to some standard of the past.

These millennials do not care about the history of USC. They care about IG....but in College Football that means being seen on National TV while looking cool, flashy and relevant.

Sometimes, in life, you need to know your audience. It seems that USC doesn't realize who they are recruiting.

7. SCBIGTIME

SCBIGTIME Junior Member

Aug 28, 2019
    The team having 'fun' while having a tendency to lack discipline tends to annoy a lot of fans.

When players and fans engage in banter with opponents, the final arbiter in any argument always comes down to : scoreboard.

DJ4SC, DaFireMedic and CP619 like this.
  8. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Aug 28, 2019
    We tried that shit coming out of the tunnel against Bama a few years ago. How did that turn out for us?

What does this even mean? We have looked soft on the field for a few years now. Kinda strange to attempt swagger when the other guys are THAT much bigger and hit THAT much harder. Clay is "nice guy". USC is a "nice team".

I haven't seen a lot of cool flashy stuff during playoffs. I've seen a lot of great football. Play it and they will watch.

9. CP619

CP619 Junior Member

Aug 28, 2019
    LOL. We were winning 3-0 going into the 2nd qtr. The coming out of the tunnel did nothing for the final score. But you can spit that narrative.

10. crank31

crank31 Junior Member

Aug 28, 2019
    The only swagger that matters is a national championship trophy, a symbol of greatness that will matter well into the future.

11. Fyton82

Fyton82 Points Member

Aug 28, 2019
    Awesome. 1st quarter Champs! Too bad we have to play four.

AZUSCfan and uscvball like this.
  12. DaFireMedic

Aug 28, 2019
    This was the problem with Jack Jones and a few others.

SCBIGTIME likes this.
  13. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Aug 28, 2019
    I guess punting is winning then.

[​IMG]

Scoreboard.....52-6. Spin that.

14. CP619

CP619 Junior Member

Aug 28, 2019
    If only we didn't come out the tunnel that way...I know, we would have played SO MUCH BETTER!

Not.

15. TrojanHorse

TrojanHorse Junior Member

Aug 28, 2019
    Universally recognized low moment. An appropriate level of swagger comes only from winning...otherwise it is called "clowning." I am beyond tired of being referred to as a clown college.

16. CP619

CP619 Junior Member

Aug 28, 2019
    Like I said, and it's been proven by the comments, USC can only have swagger and fun when winning NC's. Great.

Yet other schools don't follow that ridiculous standard.

I'm all for Miami, Oregon and any other school showing swagger and having fun (even in the down years). I think recruits would agree.

17. DaFireMedic

Aug 28, 2019
    I do think that had they came out fired up the same way they did in that PC era clip that was posted the other day, it would have been much better received than the dog walk, even with the loss. In that clip, it looked more like they were ready to go out there and fight than clowning. The dog walk, not so much.

TrojanFireHorse12 likes this.