Submit questions for Thursday mailbag

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by GarryP, Jan 2, 2018.

2. Fourthseed

Fourthseed Junior Member

Jan 2, 2018
    Garry, the Wizards of Smart have been grousing all year about the coaching, and particularly at the Cotton Bowl. What exactly could have Helton done to not be "outcoached" by Urban Meyer? What moves did Meyer make that demonstrated why he was the better coach in that game? I'd like to know specifically what Meyer did that Helton didn't. I mean this sincerely because after each game, especially a loss, there is all this talk of poor coaching. I want to know what to look for. Thanks.

3. J4SC75

J4SC75 Junior Member

Jan 2, 2018
    Garry, I think a nice summary of progress of the team over the year. Overall, which players made strides over the year, which did not? Where are the opportunities for new faces to shine this spring? Heading into spring practice, who do you predict to be on the #1 offense and #1 defense? (Use your own assumptions as to who may leave)

Rodgarnay51 likes this.
  4. edayles

edayles Junior Member

Jan 2, 2018
    Garry. Do you still see around 18 available recruiting slots? It appears that we will not have the big number of Juniors leaving this year, although that is all speculation. If this plays out that way I assume the number drops. Are walk-on scholarships still a year at a time? How many of those are there and do you see any of them in play if absolutely necessary to make room? Mixed feelings on that.

5. Sam Bam

Sam Bam Junior Member

Jan 2, 2018
    Do you think that the S&C program needs a serious upgrade? Why are the kids we recruit not gaining the strength required to battle the big boys? Are we recruiting kids with no physical development growth left? Are they a group that does not work hard or do we need some different methods / coaching?

AZUSCfan likes this.
  6. Scott Grossman

Scott Grossman Active Member

Jan 2, 2018
    Garry is USC recruiting the LB from Serra high school Robertson.

7. Rodgarnay51

Rodgarnay51 Junior Member

Jan 2, 2018
    Garry, I'm changing mine since Sam has declared. I've been curious about Matt Boermeester lately. Do you know what he's doing Garry? I'm assuming he's no longer enrolled at SC but I haven't heard anything about him resurfacing.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
  8. socallvr

socallvr Junior Member

Jan 2, 2018
    Garry,
    Frank Martin was an ESPN 300 4 star OT from the class of 2016. I have not heard much about him or seen him on the field. Do you know where he is In terms of development and will we see him on the field next year? Thanks!

SCBIGTIME and Rodgarnay51 like this.
  9. SoCalN8tiv

SoCalN8tiv Junior Member

Jan 2, 2018
    Garry, what are your top five most important things USC needs to change or improve upon, whether it be coaching, practice, recruiting or offensive or defensive schemes?

10. motovich

motovich Junior Member

Jan 2, 2018
    We have 7 offensive linemen who have been in the program at least a year but rarely play. In fact, when the need was there, we went with 2 true freshmen instead. Other than OL freshmen Austin Jackson, Dedich and Vorhees, do you see anyone else that could be a big-time OL for us in the future?

Roy4Troy and Rodgarnay51 like this.
  11. RB4SC

RB4SC Points Member

Jan 2, 2018
    Garry, do you ever get vertigo from shaking your head at some of the posts on the board? I sure do...any suggestions on how I can overcome this challenge? ;-)

Fight On, FOREVER Fight On!
    RB4SC

redeye and in2nation like this.
  12. Rodgarnay51

Rodgarnay51 Junior Member

Jan 2, 2018
    I also couldn't help but notice that. I think you can say SC's OL recruiting has been substandard for several years without fear of contradiction.

13. gubo&palanka

gubo&palanka Points Member

WeAreSc Member
    Jan 2, 2018
    Before the game, Urban Meyer said the best way to defend a QB like Sam Darnold is with a "vicious" pass rush. He said that before the game. Were our coaches listening?

14. gubo&palanka

gubo&palanka Points Member

WeAreSc Member
    Jan 2, 2018
    For the Alabama - Clemson semifinal, the officiating crew was from the Pac-12.

Penalties
    Alabama 2-10
    Clemson 4-29

Did both teams play near flawless football, or were the officials warned not to turn this event into a Pac-12 conference fiasco?

SC93er, Shooter, SC200SC and 6 others like this.
  15. dblwall

dblwall Junior Member

Jan 2, 2018
    Hearing that Tony Boselli was nominated for the NFL Hall of Fame, brings up a story from the past that maybe you can confirm.

A story I heard that a linebacker from an OOC opponent chirped about Boselli saying he was going to handle him, dominate etc.

First play, after the whistle Boselli drove him about 30 yards back and drew a flag. Saying after the play “ nobody was going to control him”.

Is my memory failing me?

Rodgarnay51 and in2nation like this.
  16. Cassiusel

Cassiusel New Member

Jan 2, 2018
    Garry-
    Put on your Clay Helton polo and answer me this: if you could only make 1 change this off season what would it be? And no wishing for more changes

17. Rainman44

Rainman44 Junior Member

Jan 2, 2018
    Garry,

Looking back on 2017 season we saw sophomores Michael Pittman and Tyler Vaughns ascend to starting WR roles. Both of them really look good for the next year (and hopefully another). But what about the other youngsters? I'm talking Joseph Lewis, Josh Imt., Randal Grimes, Velvus Jones and Trevon Sidney. How would you rate each at this stage, and who is most likely to have the biggest impact in 2018?

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
  18. Troy70

Troy70 Junior Member

Jan 2, 2018
    Who might be the new QB coach? Does Keary get promoted to wr coach?

19. dbergusc

dbergusc Junior Member

Jan 3, 2018
    Garry,
    Can you break out the staff at USC vs some of the other major programs? How many less 'associates' are we using than other programs and how big a deal is that since they don't have direct contact with the atheletes?