Submit questions for Thursday mailbag

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by GarryP, Nov 27, 2017.

2. Helen of Troy

Helen of Troy Junior Member

Nov 27, 2017
    Garry....?

DJ4SC likes this.
  3. Rodgarnay51

Rodgarnay51 Junior Member

Nov 27, 2017
    Garry, this is so obscure it almost seems off-topic. Is Olajuwon Tucker still on the team? I was watching a Pac-12 network airing of an SC-UCLA game from a couple years ago and he was playing quite a bit. This year I haven't heard or seen his name mentioned. I checked and he's on the 2017 roster. Sorry if you addressed his status earlier in the season.

4. Thunderpunch

Thunderpunch Junior Member

WeAreSc Member
    Nov 27, 2017
    Hi Garry, is there a reason why receivers try to juke a defender after catch rather than powering forward? It seems to me that they lose yards trying to shake the defender when they would have gained a couple by pushing forward.
    In the first drive against Arizona, Petite had a 3rd down catch where if he had fallen forward, it would likely have been a first down. Instead he tries to juke, lands short of the sticks, and we turn it over on downs.
    In the second drive against Colorado, Vaughns had a catch where he had the first down, but instead of running forward, he runs backwards, tries to juke, gets wrapped up short, and we turn it over on downs.
    Is it a matter of coaching, the player just wanting to make a flashy play and not aware of the situation, or something else?

5. dbergusc

dbergusc Junior Member

Nov 27, 2017
    Garry,
    How do you project our D and O lines for this game in terms of depth and shape? Will we have enough of each line ready to play that we will have same success as the first game? Hopefully we'll see some more players available, we've had to throw some younger players into games earlier than hoped due to injuries through the season. But on flip side they are getting valuable experience. Our D line continues to be steady all things considered, but O line still seems inconsistent when pressured.

6. Rainman44

Rainman44 Junior Member

Nov 27, 2017
    When Stanford looks at USC film this week what will be the most important thing(s) they'll learn about the Trojans since they played them in game #2?

Helen of Troy likes this.
  7. 901 Club

901 Club Junior Member

Nov 27, 2017
    Does Tee stay? If not, who replaces him?

Rodgarnay51 and DJ4SC like this.
  8. BigDaddy

BigDaddy Points Member

Nov 27, 2017
    This may be a question more for KB or Helix, but here goes.

At the high school level running the same play from multiple formations while on offense can be very effective. Is this the case in college also and do you think a team that is young and missing several starters could benefit from this?

9. Trojan Trev

Trojan Trev Active Member

Nov 27, 2017
    Hi Gary-

With the bRuins recent hire of Chip, and ASU's firing of Todd Graham, it looks like other teams in the PAC 12 South are making marked changes to their coaching staffs, in challenging the Trojans. With a Rose Bowl win last year and a potential Pac 12 title this year for the Trojans, who are the 3 or 4 recruiting "Must Haves" for USC to maintain their perch atop the PAC 12?

10. GoSC27!

GoSC27! Points Member

Nov 27, 2017
    I know you addressed this last week with the recruiting situation, and currently Justin Dedich is the only recruit that is set to sign in December. Do you what the actual date in December that recruits can sign? Also, and I know this would be speculative, but do you know if any other committed recruits would like to sign, but SC is deferring signing because they are anticipating other uncommitted recruits may eventually to commit to SC. Our past history reflects that we do not offer everyone, but just a grouping of those that we know have a high probability of coming to SC. In the end it does come down to numbers and even though we have offered, we can only take in so many each year. I was also hoping Palaie and Tuli would be early signees thus giving SC fans a nice Xmas gift. Anyway I appreciate anymore insight you can provide in the recruiting process!
    Fight On!

Rodgarnay51 and Helen of Troy like this.
  11. Boselli

Boselli Junior Member

WeAreSc Member
    Nov 27, 2017
    I am feeling sketchy about the conference championship game after watching the UCLA game three times now. So asking if other than the week off is there anything you can think of that will add to our performance since then?

Rodgarnay51, redeye and Helen of Troy like this.
  12. scdg71

scdg71 Junior Member

Nov 28, 2017
    Is it possible to delineate how the plays are called? How does Tee and the 2 Heltons function. How much input does Clay have in pre-game planning ... and during the game? I don't seem to recall seeing many ... if any ... teams who stall at the line of scrimmage while a play is being sent in? Rosen, for just one example, was getting the play as he walked forward to the line. What thoughts are there about whether this is a good way of operating?
    Thanks MUCH

Rodgarnay51 likes this.
  13. TrojanDave85

TrojanDave85 Junior Member

Nov 28, 2017
    Which team will be the "home" team Friday night (i.e. will we wear our home or away uniforms)?

14. GarryP

GarryP Publisher

Staff Member
    Nov 28, 2017
    The Trojan offense wore Cardinal yesterday during practice, which traditionally means they are the home team for the next game.

CrownoftheValley likes this.
  15. TrojanDave85

TrojanDave85 Junior Member

Nov 28, 2017
    Thanks Garry!

Rodgarnay51 likes this.
  16. motovich

motovich Junior Member

Nov 28, 2017
    Johnny Curren reported 11 commits and a projected 9 or less open spots, but he lists a lot of top level recruits still interested in SC. Do you see any of our current commits or prospects as potential blue shirts, early entrants counted to last year, or any other moves we can make to free up spots?

Rodgarnay51 likes this.
  17. rose green

rose green Member

Nov 28, 2017
    TEN wins [so far]. That is very good ! Thanks to the great effort of all the young Trojan players this year...
    Q. Some fans have very high expectations. They say, "If you want to be a happier FB fan, lower your expectations". What can coaches and Journalists [like yourself..please exclude Scott Wolf]] do or say to the negative wankers that have unrealistic expectations of say a National Championship EVERY YEAR [eg ND fans]?

Troken likes this.
  18. Stevie Blue

Stevie Blue Junior Member

Nov 28, 2017
    10 wins are fantastic by most measures. But with the struggles in virtually every game, being blown out by the Domers, and not really being solidly in control of any game this season, as a fan I am left wanting. Do you think the players and the coaches are content with just looking at the wins? Are they happy with the season so far?

19. Troken

Troken Junior Member

Nov 28, 2017
    Garry is it a requirement for the championship game to use Pac 12 officials? It would be great to watch a game without the field littered with flags and five minute officials conferences.

20. crank31

crank31 Junior Member

Nov 28, 2017
    Garry, will the Trojans have a traditional pep rally Thursday before the game? If so, do you have any info?