Submit questions for Thursday mailbag

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by GarryP, Oct 24, 2017.

1. Rodgarnay51

Rodgarnay51 Junior Member

Oct 24, 2017
    That was puzzling. Why would he do that?

2. Rodgarnay51

Rodgarnay51 Junior Member

Oct 24, 2017
    I think part of the problem the big gap in recruiting classes between the last couple big ones (Banner, Wheeler, Mama, Viane, Toa, Simmons and ?) to this last one with Jackson, Voorhees, et al. Very lean pickins in the interim. You can't do that, just as SC neglected defensive recruiting for many years starting with Carroll's last couple.

3. TrojanWarMachine

TrojanWarMachine Junior Member

Oct 24, 2017
    What do you guys think would be better, hard, tough practices, done at as near game speed as possible with live tackling, then going with who you have on Saturday, or walk throughs, easier practices with no tackling and no where near game speed, but your guys are more rested and maybe a few more come through uninjured? I know there is probably a happy medium, but is it too late, since they missed their chance a a really tough last couple weeks of off-season practices in order to coast and get "healthier"? Now that we are deep into the season is it too late to work on tackling and blocking at near full speed, or are our coaches more afraid of injuries than losses????

Rodgarnay51 likes this.
  4. Treesmv2

Treesmv2 Junior Member

Oct 24, 2017
    Garry.

I'm intrigued by C Helton's following comment:

"...Like I told them in our team meeting, it’s the little things that I thought added up to physical beats, and we’ve got to get those little things right, whether it’s the exact correct step, whether it’s the exact correct hand placement, whether it’s lower pad level, those are all things that help you win one-on-one battles at the o-line. I’m an o-line coaches’ son by trade so I have a tendency to watch that film a little bit tighter.”

My question is: we are 8 games into the season, doesn't this comment demonstrate that the coaching staff has done a poor job of "teaching" these fundamental techniques? In other words, while coaching is not a stagnant process, wouldn't you think this would be taught "before" key matchups?

Mark from Newport.

eliminator207 and Rodgarnay51 like this.
  5. americanbobby

americanbobby Junior Member

Oct 24, 2017
    This season is starting to eerily mirror the 2012 debacle: USC starts the season with too high a ranking after a fantastic performance to finish the previous year; Heisman hopeful at QB; HC not emphasizing physicality in practice; Not playing well but still sporting a 6-1 record...then the wheels fell off in Arizona. What is different about this year's team?

eliminator207 likes this.
  6. SCFTFO

SCFTFO Junior Member

Oct 24, 2017
    • We got run over by bama last year, who embarrassed us physically.
    • Our players did poorly at the combine last year
    • We got run over again by ND this year, who embarrassed us physically
    • Paraphrasing Helton: it wasn't strategy that lost the ND game, we simply lost our 1:1s. (My read: got out-muscled)
    So my question is... How the heck does Ivan Lewis seem to always dodge the hot seat?

Sure, you can point the finger at Clay for the lack of a killer attitude, but the substance behind that attitude is one man's responsibility and he never seems to catch any flak.

7. SCFTFO

SCFTFO Junior Member

Oct 24, 2017
    Gary,

Building on my last post.

Clay Helton has been at USC since 2010. He has spent the better part of the past decade working for a team in sanctions mode, trying to avoid injuries year round at all costs.

In all seriousness, is it possible he may have simply forgotten how to properly coach physicality over the years? In my own profession, I doubt I could ever catch up if I had been stuck in a 7 year purgatory for an important element of my job.

8. 559er

559er Junior Member

Oct 24, 2017
    Has the concussion protocol been elevated this year over other years? Is this team's concussion protocol a little over the top compared to other teams?

9. JC SOXX

JC SOXX Junior Member

Oct 24, 2017
    Does Chris Hawkins have to play every game ? He was one on one with the Notre Dame Running Back and choose to hit the deck instead of contact. Tackling a east west runner isn't the problem it's the north south runner.

10. GoSC27!

GoSC27! Points Member

Oct 25, 2017
    I know it was mentioned that Amon-Ra St. Brown and Solomon Tuliapupu were at the Notre Dame game. I assume they were hosted by Notre Dame? Both of them are still non-committed, but also still considering SC. Has anyone reached out to either of them since the game. JT Daniels (USC 2019 commit) is Amon-Ra's quarterback and I heard Palaie Gaotete since committing has been trying to also recruit Solomon to SC. I hope the one bad game does not influence their decision, although Equinox, big brother to Amon-Ra will have his own opinions. I also hope we still have shots for both of them as we need more physical linebackers and bigger receivers. I also hope JT and Palaie stay committed. It is a small football community in southern California. Any updates would be greatly appreciated. We need another great recruiting year!
    Fight On!

Rodgarnay51 and Troy70 like this.
  11. BigDaddy

BigDaddy Points Member

Oct 25, 2017
    During the offseason the staff may a systematic search to fill a void at RB coach and came away with a successful hire in Deland McCullough.

Does HCCH have it in him to remove someone from the staff and repeat this process?

12. TrojanHorse

TrojanHorse Junior Member

Oct 25, 2017
    Any meaningful guys returning from the injured list this week?

Rodgarnay51 likes this.
  13. tommytrojan1122

tommytrojan1122 Junior Member

Oct 25, 2017
    Is Ivan Lewis a scapegoat? Looking at Rojo, it is obvious he is bigger and stronger compared to the last 2 years. I have to believe Ivan Lewis is responsible for that. Many on the board believe Lewis is reaponsile for the lack of physicalality.

What is Garry's take?

Rodgarnay51 likes this.
  14. Cardinal&Gold

Cardinal&Gold Junior Member

Oct 25, 2017
    Its not Lewis's fault he's trying to Hulk up a bunch of skinny dudes. Some frames make it tough to stack on good weight. If you have bird legs good luck trying to put on significant size on the lower body in 3 years.
    If you want big guys sign big guys. Its a hell of a lot easier to trim down a big guy than to make a 200 lb dude 260 lbs especially when he's been that weight for years.

SC93er and Rodgarnay51 like this.
  15. SC93er

SC93er Junior Member

Oct 25, 2017
    Good question. Helton made wholesale changes when he was elevated to HC, but those were Sark's guys that he removed. Would Helton part company with one of his own hires, in essence admitting the hire went sideways? Probably yes if he felt his own job was at risk (and definitely yes if Swann ordered it). We may find out in a couple months.

16. eliminator207

eliminator207 Junior Member

Oct 25, 2017
    As has been stated so many times, Coach Helton wants a more physical run first approach. Given his dealt hand with injuries and left with a less experienced and physical OL, shouldn't he change his strategy? Maybe more finesse and putting the QB under center with a pitch outside where the tail back doesn't have to run 7 yards before getting to the line of scrimmage. Maybe an under center drop back to a screen pass. His consistent use of the shotgun formation doesn't give us as many options to counteract the ears-pinned-back rush of the opponents DL,

17. KANDI11

KANDI11 Junior Member

Oct 25, 2017
    Even worse was Pete's final year (2009) when SC was ranked #4 to start the season and wound up ranked outside the top 20, despite having top 5 recruiting classes his last 3 years.
    Take a look at that roster. No way SC should have lost 4 games but I guess even Pete wasn't perfect.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2017
  18. TrojanJJ

TrojanJJ Active Member

Oct 26, 2017
    Garry
    Someone on another site stated that there were 80 recruits at the ND game. Of those, 13 were on an official visit. These recruits were
    treated to an good old fashion taken to the wood shed beat down.

How much impact will this have
    on recruits being recruited by
    both USC and ND? Do you think
    we lose some over this debacle?

Thanks
    Fight On

Rodgarnay51 likes this.