Still no new DC

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by Trojanmack909, Jan 15, 2020 at 10:45 AM.

2. USCTrojan1990

USCTrojan1990 Points Member

Jan 15, 2020 at 11:03 AM
    Just like Clay Helton can’t recruit players, he can’t recruit coaches either. You’d have to be an idiot or desperate to join Clay Helton right now. The best we can hope for is Joe Barry - the DC for the infamously winless 2008 Detroit lions - but in reality Clay wants (and will probably get) Nansen as our DC next year. And Nansen is one of the laziest dudes in college football. That’s where USC is at.

3. ICEnEC

ICEnEC Points Member

Jan 15, 2020 at 11:08 AM
    The one part I disagree on is Barry being the best we can do. I think Rocky Long would be the best hire. I have advocated for him on these boards for weeks now. Knowing of course I have absolutely zero say in who the guy ends up being. Just think he can completely turn the D around. Others have talked about Charlie Strong. I would put both of them, ahead of Barry.

4. GoSC1

GoSC1 Junior Member

Jan 15, 2020 at 11:37 AM
    What is sad to me is that every time I go on this board, I see that thread started by Erik that would supposedly track all the coaching changes for us, and it's been pretty much a tracker for OTHER teams, or crickets about SC. I am starting to take very seriously the arguments that noone really wants to coach under Helton........it ticks me off that everyone else understands that Helton should have been canned, but Bohn and Folt.

5. gubo&palanka

gubo&palanka Points Member

WeAreSc Member
    Jan 15, 2020 at 12:25 PM
    Belichick, Vrabel , Aranda, Venables and the guy from the 49ers must be offering so many concessions to Helton in order to be the #1 DC candidate that the process is taking longer than usual.

6. trjoosh

trjoosh Points Member

Jan 15, 2020 at 12:49 PM
    It'll probably end up being announced Clay Helton will be the DC himself. What difference would it make at this point when we still got Clay.

ConquerorSC and RJC15 like this.
  7. USCTrojan1990

Jan 15, 2020 at 1:27 PM
    Rocky Long might be the best hire, but there is no hope that he comes to coach under Clay Helton. Everyone knows USC under Clay Helton is soft, and Rocky Long is not scheme his way out of that ugly truth. Why would he come here? Charlie Strong has no connection to USC so how is Clay Helton going to get him to USC for a year when he could go coach in the SEC with Mike Leach?

So you've got Joe Berry, who is probably the only guy who will take the job that isn't already on staff, or Nansen, who seems more than willing to go down with the ship next year.

ConquerorSC and yah20002 like this.
  8. ICEnEC

ICEnEC Points Member

Jan 15, 2020 at 3:01 PM
    Rocky just wants to coordinate and not worry about HC stuff. He’s probably only got a few more years left anyways, so why not here??? I am sure before he takes any job, he’s going to be clear about what he wants to do, and how he wants to do it. If he doesn’t like the terms, he will say no. But Hoke at SDSU, and Gonzalez at new mexico have both offered him their DC jobs. They are smart enough to know what he brings to the table.

As far as Strong, I was only bringing him up, because a few others did. Seems like he has a good history on the D side. I think he would be like other guys who want to get their name back in regular talks down the road with programs looking for a HC. Anyone who gets our D on track, sets themselves up for opportunities down the road.

LDIABootney likes this.
  9. Tj3333

Tj3333 Junior Member

Jan 15, 2020 at 3:40 PM
    Yeah, but...I get it, huge upside to someone who needs a second chance, and I guess that's the reality of where we are with retaining Helton - everyone knows it's a short term gig, so if they can come in and goose their stock to go get a better job after next season, it makes sense.

Not exactly the kind of situation that I believe the HR/recruitment guru's would call "ideal" for attracting top talent.

10. TrojanHorse

TrojanHorse Junior Member

Jan 15, 2020 at 3:57 PM
    I read an article yesterday talking about this. I think he basically said that while there are a lot of schools that have acted much quicker, it's not way outside the norm either. Concluded that Helton and USC will not be rushed by outside influences and gave the Harrell example last year as a good outcome.

If it were me, I would probably make Rocky Long an offer today.

11. USCTrojan1990

Jan 15, 2020 at 4:02 PM
    It seems like it comes down to you having a lot more optimism than I do... I see Alabama as our next game on the schedule and our USC team having just been boat raced by a much inferior Iowa team (compared to Alabama). The next guy who signs up as our DC is going to get beat by 40+ points because Clay is going to give us another offseason of soft practices and no accountability. We could hire Bill Belichick to run the defense, it wouldn't matter. USC will always be soft and lazy as long as Clay Helton is the head coach.

So my view is, why would anyone with even a chance to be successful at a program that gives a **** come here? Joe Barry might be crazy enough, because he is a USC guy and already lives in LA. Nobody else is coming here

12. racea911

racea911 Junior Member

Jan 15, 2020 at 4:03 PM
    Like the Harrell situation last year was done on purpose? Helton and the AD had just been knocked on their collective butts by Kingsbury leaving and it took them a while to recover from the devastation. Now they are playing it off like they used a slow play strategy to get the guy wanted all along instead of sorting through the scraps to see who was left. LOL

OC2SC and ConquerorSC like this.
  13. August West

August West Points Member

Jan 15, 2020 at 5:51 PM
    Surprised no one is pining for the two time fir....er, uh, relieved of duties, Kris Richard.

14. Gold Trojan

Gold Trojan Points Member

Jan 15, 2020 at 5:59 PM
    That reaction Clay gets when he asks if a prospective coach wants to be a DC on his coaching staff.

[​IMG]

15. USCSAE

USCSAE Points Member

Jan 15, 2020 at 7:31 PM
    This.
    Who is looking at SC right now and thinking- wow, now there is a place I can really shine?

ConquerorSC likes this.
  16. bigSCreen

bigSCreen Junior Member

Jan 15, 2020 at 8:41 PM
    Rocky Long makes the most sense if USC can’t hire away a big time DC that also recruits well. It doesn’t sound like the fanbase is willing to give Clay a chance even if he wins next year, so Long on a short deal would probably be all we can do if we want elite coaching and I’m on board with that. If we can at least be respectable on D and ST we have a chance to go 10-2 and win the Pac 12. Slovis is looking like he could be a stud and the O will be mostly in tact outside of Pitt and Jackson. The DC hire needs to be made though before the actual signing day if we want any chance at flipping a few unsigned guys.

17. Jay4usc

Jay4usc Points Member

Jan 15, 2020 at 8:42 PM
    They are all busy wacking each other off

ConquerorSC likes this.
  18. Jay4usc

Jay4usc Points Member

Jan 15, 2020 at 8:44 PM
    Doesn’t matter who the coach is for Detroit they are always losing. They only won 3 games in 2019

19. SouthbayTrojan91

SouthbayTrojan91 Junior Member

Jan 15, 2020 at 9:16 PM
    how many unsigned guys are left out there? December is not "early signing day"....December is the signing day and February is the "last signing period". And it is January 15th....

ConquerorSC likes this.