Stanford probably feeling confident about this Saturday

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by wes4usc, Sep 4, 2017.

1. Stanford probably feeling confident about this Saturday
    wes4usc

wes4usc Junior Member

Sep 4, 2017
    https://www.ruleoftree.com/2017/9/3/16249034/stanford-will-beat-usc-college-football

I found this article on the internet.
    Stanford probably feeling confident about this Saturday. I can't say that I blame them.

Why Stanford will beat USC
    0 New, 15 comments
    The two teams face off this upcoming Saturday
    by charliefoy Sep 3, 2017, 1:15pm PDT

A week ago, if you asked me who would win between USC and Stanford, I would've picked USC in a nail biter, and if you asked me before Stanford's season opener against Rice, I would've picked USC to cruise to a victory. However, after seeing both teams play one game, I'm confident the Cardinal will defeat the Trojans. Here's why:

The final score of the USC game is deceiving
    USC was playing catch up with Western Michigan the entire game and didn't break away until the final few minutes. The final score was 49-31, but it felt like USC only won by a touchdown. Western Michigan controlled the clock and led for the majority of the game.

And Western Michigan is not the New Year's Six team they were last year. They lost their head coach, their quarterback, and their all-american receiver. Western Michigan is a team that should've been put away easily and quickly.

The Trojan defense can't stop the run
    The Western Michigan Broncos ran all over the Trojans, totaling 263 yards and averaging 5.5 yards per carry, and it's not like the Broncos are known as great run team; last year, they depended on their passing game. The USC defense couldn't wrap up and were pushed around by the Western Michigan offensive line.

Stanford has a much better offensive line and rush game than Western Michigan. The Cardinal will be more physical than the Broncos, and if Western Michigan could run on USC, Stanford will undoubtedly do the same. Bryce Love could lead the Cardinal to victory with a big day.

Sam Darnold is overrated
    I kinda feel bad for Sam Darnold. USC fans expect him to win the Heisman and return the Trojans to greatness, and anything less will be considered a failure. However after seeing his game versus Western Michigan, all signs indicate he's not as good as everyone thought.

Sam Darnold wasn't terrible, but he wasn't the reason USC won the game. He threw two interceptions, although he's only accountable for one, and he didn't throw a single touchdown. It seemed like Darnold kept throwing off his back foot and into coverage, and his passes always looked like they were up for grabs.

Maybe, it's the receivers that made Sam Darnold look bad. Maybe, they couldn't get open, and Sam Darnold was forced to make bad throws. Remember, Sam Darnold does not have the same targets he had last year; Darreus Rogers and JuJu Smith-Schuster are no longer a part of the team. With new receivers, Sam Darnold and the USC passing game is not as effective as they were in 2016.

Stanford looks better than expected
    After the Rice game, Christian McCaffrey became an after thought, Keller Chryst's health is no longer worrisome, and the Cardinal defense gained needed confidence. This year's team appears to be in midseason form and deserves a better ranking than 14.

Prediction
    My grandpa is the biggest USC fan I know, and after the opening weekend, he is picking Stanford to win next week, and I agree with him. Don't get me wrong, USC is good, but Stanford just looks better.

This game won't be a blowout; it'll be competitive, but I'm going to pick Stanford to win by a touchdown. Final score: 31-24

[​IMG]
    Stanford Football: What You Need to Know about Oregon A way-too-early look ahead at the Ducks.

[​IMG]
    Paid Content in Collaboration With

2. wes4usc

wes4usc Junior Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Sorry about the messy post, I didn't copy and paste the article very well.

3. DJ4SC

DJ4SC Junior Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Sam Darnold overrated?

I stopped reading after that.
    I hope the Trees come in over confident.

atrojan4life and Rodgarnay51 like this.
  4. wes4usc

wes4usc Junior Member

Sep 4, 2017
    I agree.
    I must admit that I am worried about this game because 1) Stanford's recent history of success in general, 2) Stanford's recent history of success against us in particular, 3) the way we looked and they looked in the respective opening games.

Having said that, the above writer is forgetting that: 1) Stanford looked good, but they were playing f-ing Rice. Western Michigan ain't no f-ing Rice. Western Michigan IS a good rushing team. 2) I don't care what they say Sam Darnold is the real deal.

Helen of Troy and Rodgarnay51 like this.
  5. DJ4SC

DJ4SC Junior Member

Sep 4, 2017
    I think our game showed us more about us that Stadfurd's did about them. We know what needs to be addressed Stanford has no clue.
    There is no doubt they will be tough but I think we can be tougher and our O is better if you go position by position. All we need is a stop here and there and we'll win.

6. CrownoftheValley

CrownoftheValley Junior Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Stanford hasn't really played a game against a football team as yet. Let them be confident... they will fly home disappointed.

7. DaFireMedic

DaFireMedic Junior Member

Sep 4, 2017
    It took us 3 quarters to get rolling, but we did. Stanford is always a tough game, and I expect no different this year. But we will win this game.

8. Gr8ythunter

Gr8ythunter Junior Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Problem(s) :
    The Trojan D can't stop the run.
    The furd run the ball (well).
    The trees will control the clock.
    The Trojan O will have limited opportunities

9. DJ4SC

DJ4SC Junior Member

Sep 4, 2017
    You're banking on the fact that we won't stop them 100% of the time. Not going to happen.
    This will not be the same scheme we saw yesterday.

10. beezenants

beezenants Junior Member

Sep 4, 2017
    I'm concerned about this game, because it seems like Furd always plays us tough, I just hope they come in overconfident like this writer.

11. Hockey10

Hockey10 Junior Member

Sep 4, 2017
    It took the first possession to get started. Within minutes Rojo had us on the board. We need to learn if a team can't stop a particular player, scheme, ect then we need to stay with it.Last year there was a game when J. Davis had over a 100 yards on 10 carriers in the 1st qrt or so and then they pulled him until the 4th qtr. If Saban saw the way Rojo was running he would keep him in the game until they could stop him and run up the points. If we come out passing and they can't stop it we need to continue to attack them and force them to change their game plan. If Rojo and Carr are running all over them then we need to stick with that. It is so frustrating t0 see us have two great series of runs and then change it up and go 3 & out in the passing game when there was no need to stop running the ball so well.

Rodgarnay51, Just4sc and mvpreed2 like this.
  12. DaFireMedic

DaFireMedic Junior Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Agreed. I'm all for balance, but go with what's working until there's a reason not to. We are in the enviable position of having 2 of the best RB's in the country, along with arguably the best QB. Opponents may key on one, but they can't key on both.

13. TrojanWarMachine

TrojanWarMachine Junior Member

Sep 5, 2017
    That guy is full of hot air, Western Michigan is a running team, and a pretty good one. USC lined up in a nickel package most of the first half, using only two down linemen. I highly doubt that Clancy P. will have his defense in nickel much this week, unless it's a long yardage situation, or at least I hope. I would love to see some four down lineman sets just to confuse the trees. The furd are a huge question mark after manhandling a team that would have a hard time beating a top CIF high school team.

I am worried that all the weaknesses that were exposed on Saturday won't be fixed for Stanford, but at least USC got tested in their first game. Western Michigan might have been the perfect opponent, and very similar to our cardinal buddies from nor cal. CCH and his staff proved they could right the wrongs last year, and they are starting from a much better place this year.

Saturday might have been the first live tackling for our first team defense in weeks and it took a while for the rust to shake off. It also helped having the defenses spiritual and physical leader back for the second half, and even Cam took a few series to get up to speed.

MattyB and Rodgarnay51 like this.
  14. Trojan Marc

Trojan Marc Junior Member

Sep 5, 2017
    I'm curious about the defensive schemes WSU, Colorado and Washington used vs FURD last year. Would be nice to try and replicate their success.

Rodgarnay51 and oldtrojan93 like this.
  15. denali15

denali15 Points Member

Sep 5, 2017
    A lot of big talk just because they beat up on Rice?

MattyB and Rodgarnay51 like this.
  16. Ladera Trojan

Ladera Trojan Junior Member

Sep 5, 2017
    I'm as big of an SC homer as it gets, but I can tell you I'm not very confident going into this game.

Our Run defense looked awful on Sat and that is Furd's offensive identity...."we are going to run the ball down your throats". That is VERY concerning to me.

If we don't make a dramactic improvement this Sat in our run defense it's gonna be a LONG day.

17. jiordone

jiordone Junior Member

Sep 5, 2017
    I love that Sam is overrated because he didn't throw a TD pass. Trust me, had the Trojans tried to pass when we got in scoring position, Sam could have had 5 TD passes. Sorry our running backs were running the ball and scoring.

TrojanWarMachine and Rodgarnay51 like this.
  18. SouthbayTrojan91

SouthbayTrojan91 Junior Member

Sep 5, 2017
    Ya, that was just stupid. If you watched closely you will see that the receivers were god awful. Just absolutely dreadful.
    It was not that they could not get open, it was that they could not catch a pass, ran the wrong routes, turned the wrong way.

Score them a D at best.

19. SouthbayTrojan91

SouthbayTrojan91 Junior Member

Sep 5, 2017
    WMU averaged 228yds/game on the ground last year.

Anyone can be a ''writer'' in the age of the internet.

20. Rodgarnay51

Rodgarnay51 Junior Member

Sep 5, 2017
    I think we can all agree that Darnold was a little off. After watching the game again there's no question in my mind, but even on the off day there was a handful of beautiful passes. He's going to have to play more like Darnold for the Trojans to beat Furd. I think he will, as long as he understands that his WRs won't win jump balls like Rogers and Juju. I don't think SC put their best foot forward against WM - they have a lot they can improve on and showed Stanfurd very little. Helton and his staff will be tested Saturday.

Helen of Troy likes this.