Sports Illustrated on Graham Harrell

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by Pudly76, Aug 1, 2019.

1. KiwiSCfan

KiwiSCfan Points Member

Aug 2, 2019
    Exactly. But nor is a decent smaller town coach like Mike Gundy. However he is a man, and he’s 40...

2. FightOn1992

FightOn1992 Junior Member

Aug 2, 2019
    I think to keep Harrell in this scenario we would need to take a page out of LSU's playbook with Dave Aranda. Pay him BIG and know that at some point the offer will come. However, if we get 3 or maybe shockingly 4 years then we would have had time for his assistants to learn the keys to the offense. It would be a good problem to have. We will know a LOT in 5 months;'). Fight On!

DaFireMedic likes this.
  3. Hockey10

Hockey10 Junior Member

Aug 2, 2019
    My best scenario would be that we win games only because of GH's Offense. 45-42 type games. Helton continues being a dunce and Holt recognizes when the time comes that Harrell starts getting offers that he is the only reason for our success. She hires him as HC, he realizes he needs a great Defense to win championships and imediatly hires a great DC. Keeps Ausmus and builds us a NC team. Now back to reality.

4. TrojanHorse

TrojanHorse Junior Member

Aug 2, 2019
    fixed it for them

... a 5–7 season in 2018 pushed Helton’s job security so close to the Kliff ...

CrownoftheValley likes this.
  5. TrojanHorse

Aug 2, 2019
    A guaranteed transition to head coach over time. That has proven to be a very successful formula at many schools.

6. TrojanHorse

Aug 2, 2019
    For people that have been concerned HCCH is not attempting to make serious changes...

The head coach will focus, instead of Xs and Os, on the fundamentals that doomed the Trojans last season. His eyes in practice will be on preventing and forcing turnovers, as well as discipline. Pac-12 officials patrolled the sideline of each of USC’s 15 spring practices, a first for Helton, he says. He’s instituted stricter punishments for flags, forcing a player to perform up-downs after committing a foul. Any personal foul sends the entire team into up-downs.

jjg4sc and DaFireMedic like this.
  7. usc88

usc88 Junior Member

Aug 2, 2019
    Harrell seems to be like a good OC.
    And if he is successful at USC his stock will rise high like Kingsbury. And probably get
    lots of HC offers.
    Hopefully, Harrell stays at least two years.

8. DaFireMedic

DaFireMedic Junior Member

Aug 2, 2019
    My best scenario is that all units are firing on all cylinders and USC is back among the football elite. It includes Helton having learned from his mistakes. showing that he now knows how to manage and oversee a team without micromanaging. I’d rather this happen than to go through another “coaching search”.

My worst case scenario is repeated 9 or 10 win seasons with the occasional conference title while never getting beyond that. That was my fear with Sark as well. Just enough for the HC to keep his job, but never quite getting beyond being just a “good” team.

We need to be in the talk for the CFP and NC’s, or we need to hire a coach who can get us there. Helton has this year to prove his critics wrong.

9. bob c in az

bob c in az Junior Member

Aug 2, 2019
    BS! Pete was the Head Coach. Norm made the Trojans marginally better, GH has a binary effect.

10. DaFireMedic

Aug 2, 2019
    Norm was the difference between winning NC’s and winning BCS bowls. It was more than just marginal.

But weighing against what happened the previous season, GH has the opportunity to make a much more drastic difference.

11. Hockey10

Hockey10 Junior Member

Aug 2, 2019
    The point most here are making is if Harrell does succeed he will get offers to either the pros or an HC job. Odds are we will be looking for a new OC in a year or two. Why people can't look at what Helton has done to this team, realize and except he isn't a good HC, and move on from him, I don't understand. The recruits have seen it. The analysis have seen it, most fans have seen it. If this season gets better it will be because of Harrell and not Helton. Swann forced Helton to make changes to his staff. He would have kept Tee because Tee was his ace recruiter. He fired Tee and look at our recruiting. I could list the same list of abundant mistakes Helton made and makes. When Harrell gets hired away we will be stuck with Helton again. this time with the 3* talent he's stacking up. Please everyone, stop defending him. He is learning on the job and he is a D student.

racea911 and Kaptain Karl like this.
  12. Jiko

Jiko Points Member

Aug 2, 2019
    Stop calling my head coach names, moron.

13. Hockey10

Hockey10 Junior Member

Aug 2, 2019
    Being a USC fan I hope like hell Harrell destroys it and we kick every teams a$$.
    Norm Chow however has proven himself. He has won Bowl games and Championships. All Harrell has done so far is brought excitement to a stagnant Offense and gotten a lot of praise from Helton. Let give Chow his respect and keep this in perspective.

14. Pudly76

Pudly76 Points Member

Aug 2, 2019
    Believe he made Carson Palmer a bit of a celebrity too. He even won an award or something...

15. KeenObserver

KeenObserver Junior Member

Aug 2, 2019
    Oh jeez not the Norm shit again

CrownoftheValley likes this.
  16. Pudly76

Pudly76 Points Member

Aug 2, 2019
    Pete was a defensive coach, mostly dbs as I recall. No one said he was less than a great head coach.
    But wasn’t the point of the effect the OC had in his first year, not whether he was great -good or bad.

17. TrojanHorse

Aug 2, 2019
    Harrell is just one of the significant changes made to the team over the off season. Making a comment like this only betrays your complete unwillingness to ever give Helton credit for anything.

I've never seen a shred of evidence to back up this common Helton Hater claim

Recruiting suffered for a lot more reasons than Tee Martin being gone.

If Harrell gets hired away because of a miraculous turnaround, then we won't have too much trouble replacing him.

If USC has a mediocre season this year, Helton will likely be fired...and will deserve to be. Swann may very likely go with him. If they have a great season, he won't be fired and won't deserve to be.

DaFireMedic and CP619 like this.
  18. cannonballjamaal

cannonballjamaal Junior Member

Aug 2, 2019
    Well, he's actually 51 now. Doesn't seem like that long ago, but then I borrowed his line when I turned 40 and I'm 47 now. Time flies.

19. DaFireMedic

Aug 2, 2019
    Because he is our HC, whether anyone likes it or not.

Hoping that Helton succeeds, and therefore the team succeeds, is not "defending" him, nor the 5-7 season, etc. He is our HC this season, and I want the team to win. Some seem to think that the team will suck this season solely because of Helton, as though its somehow guaranteed. I don't subscribe to that, and prefer to see how the team actually does on the field. A poor showing is certainly a possibility, and if the team appears mediocre again after a few games this season, I will again be calling for him to be replaced. But until then, I'm rooting for him and the team to turn things around and succeed big time. Even with what appears to be a brutal schedule, I think this team is a lot closer to 9-3 (even 10-2), than 3-9. I realize that this goes against what most "experts" think, but so what?

Harrell may turn out to be a truly great OC, but even he can't do it alone. If USC makes the big turnaround this season, it will NOT be solely because of him, although he will be a big part of it. And if he leaves in the next few years, we will need to replace him.

Anyway, what I don't understand is why some fans are bothered by, of all things, optimism.

20. TrojanHorse

Aug 2, 2019
    paraphrasing REM slightly

Shiny happy people laughing
    Meet me in the crowd, people
    Throw your love around, love me
    Take it into town, happy
    Put it in the ground where the flowers grow
    Cardinal and Gold shine

Pudly76 and DaFireMedic like this.