SC/Orgeron on the front page of Fox News today

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by KnightsWhoSayNi, Dec 11, 2019.

2. Esthersar

Esthersar Points Member

Dec 11, 2019
    "Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall." (Proverbs 16:18)

BESCFAN and DaFireMedic like this.
  3. louiebag85

louiebag85 Points Member

Dec 11, 2019
    I don't think his voice had anything to do with it. Reality is he lost to UCLA and ND. But I still think he should've been given the job considering how he helped navigate the team during that time.

4. CoronaTrojanFan

CoronaTrojanFan Junior Member

Dec 11, 2019
    I believe Coach O was dismissed as a candidate for the USC HC job due to the stigma from his previous failure as head coach at Ole Miss more than anything else. The losses to ND and UCLA helped to substantiate that belief.

Yes - the players very much liked Coach O but don't the players very much like HCCH as well? Being liked by the players is a 50/50 proposition in terms of gauging how successful a coach may be in winning games, right? Bear Bryant wasn't necessarily liked by his players but those players liked to win and Bear did that pretty well. Players like HCCH but apparently recruits are not enthralled at the moment with him or the USC program at this point in time.

IMHO, Coach O getting the DL coach position at LSU and then taking over for Les Miles was pretty much a perfect storm for Coach O to allow him to get another head coaching job in his home state. Don't think there is anybody in the USC fan base that isn't happy for him and wouldn't mind seeing him win the CFP this year.

jjg4sc likes this.
  5. TrojanHorse

TrojanHorse Junior Member

Dec 11, 2019
    Did not read the article yet. Obviously he lost some bigger games and the last head coaching example was the disaster at Ole Miss. There was another element and I would not say it was his voice, per se, but general demeanor -- very possibly.

All speculation of course, but the scuttlebut at the time was they did not think Ed was very polished and would not play well to the large donors. I think they got that very wrong. Most folks that have met him or heard him speak live, were blown away by his passion and authenticity. Smart people know the real thing when they see it.

cshen10, Butcher22 and gubo&palanka like this.
  6. Class of 81

Class of 81 Active Member

Dec 11, 2019
    That is a very telling article on USC in the last decade. There is an on-going power struggle between USC Fans/alumni and the USC power elites (BOT, HH, Major Donors, USC Administrators). These power elites don't want to lose their position thus keeping Helton makes sense to them.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2019
  7. heyrev

heyrev Junior Member

Dec 11, 2019
    I can't get over the media's penchant for unchecked "speculation" today. There's no shame in running stories with no basis in fact or substantiated sources. Saying "I don't know this for fact, but I think..." used to lessen the impact of a story. Now it hits the newswires with the force of truth. Especially for USC right now, they're just an easy target for anyone's shot. No margin for error anymore. Yes, self inflicted for the most part. This is going to takes years of recovery. I don't see how Clay can lead effectively in this milieu.

gubo&palanka, earlandnic and nvargas like this.
  8. KeenObserver

KeenObserver Junior Member

Dec 11, 2019
    Clay never lead effectively. That is not speculation.

9. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Dec 11, 2019
    I do not want LSU to win....although that doesn't stem from coach O. Yes, he was lied to about his consideration for the job. However, he created a scene, he ranted, and then he quit on "his sons" before their bowl game. Sorry but I'm not on the O bandwagon, particularly since he wasn't all that until this season.

10. SeattleTrojan

SeattleTrojan Junior Member

Dec 11, 2019
    Just love all the posters that said we should have hired Ed O in a permanent role, yet didn’t speak up after losing to ND and UCLA. Here was his resume after finishing as the USC interim HC:

Ole Miss - 10-25 overall 3-21 in the SEC

USC - 7-2 with losses to ND and UCLA

Not exactly the easy pick that everyone is making it out to be. I love Ed O, but where we’re all the voices of calling for him to be hired after his interim season???

Rainman44, 1stNGoalSC and jjg4sc like this.
  11. beeto

beeto Junior Member

Dec 11, 2019
    This.

12. nvargas

nvargas Junior Member

Dec 11, 2019
    Amazing how hindsight changes the whole picture...like you're going back in time and rewriting it as it happened. Ed O can do no wrong this year and many fans pining over the one that got away...what could have been.

Happy for Ed, wish him well.

Not convinced he's going to be a perennial powerhouse or that he can maintain this pace...as he's not really an established "system" coach as are Saban/Urb. He has not proven he can consistently win regardless of assistants/QB's and through time. He was given basically an unlimited budget for assistants and will have to continue to pay out to keep them. He finally caught lightning in a bottle w/ Burrows.

There are some that legitimately wanted Ed as SC's coach, regardless of how things went down in the end. For them, this sincerely is a tough situation. Having said that, I seriously doubt Ed could have produced the same results at SC, with our budget and Admin. He most likely would have been an improvement over Helton, but transposing LSU's current success to SC is futile and unrealistic.

13. BlemBlam

BlemBlam Junior Member

Dec 11, 2019
    I wanted Coach O, 100% and I don’t blame him for how he reacted when he got the news and realized he was lied to.
    I wouldn’t have blamed him for throwing Patrick Capper Haden ( what a perfect middle name for him) through a window. In fact I wish he would have, and there is no way in hell he could have stayed and coached in that Bowl Game after the way things went down and I don’t think I’ve heard of a single player who felt he abandoned them. They understood perfectly why he didn’t.

14. Cardinal&Gold

Cardinal&Gold Junior Member

Dec 11, 2019
    I might add. A very good UCLA and ND team. Wasn't this the team with Myles Jack and Brett Hundley? ND is a Toss up for every one.

I think Ed O went 6-2 as the interim coach.

gubo&palanka likes this.
  15. SoCalN8tiv

SoCalN8tiv Junior Member

Dec 11, 2019
    No offense to you Louiebag but this is the dumbest argument out there being thrown around about Orgeron not getting the job - again, I'm not dissing you Louie. I wish this dumb reason would go away. Ed was the interim head coach. The bar to beat ND and ucly wasn't set that high for an interim coach thrust into a chaotic situation. By saying he didn't get the full time job because he lost to ND and ucly means that he needed to go 8-0 plus win the bowl game to go 9-0...as an interim. That's ridiculous, especially under those chaotic circumstances.

However, with that said, Orgeron did revive the Trojan fighting spirit on the field. He took a soft team and made them tougher for eight weeks, which is more that can be said about the teams over the last 8 years. That Ed O team played with enthusiasm and their high energy level matched his coaching style and it was contagious. The opinions about Ed O were that he wasn't smart enough and didn't fit the "head coach material" mold and was essentially doomed to be a "lifetime position coach."

IMHO, Coach O was the right guy to mold that talent he was deprived from leading by an arrogant, aging preppy named Pat Haden. I am so glad Coach O proved me right about what I knew he could do if given the opportunity. Too bad it wasn't while leading the USC program as their permanent head coach.

cshen10, Butcher22 and gubo&palanka like this.
  16. heyrev

heyrev Junior Member

Dec 11, 2019
    Never? Really?
    I know in your simple world of "all good or all bad", Keen, it works that way. But for a lot of us, issues and evaluations are more nuanced. Probably would surprise you but I actually think some of your takes are reasonable. See how that works? Some good, some bad. Try it.

17. DaFireMedic

DaFireMedic Junior Member

Dec 11, 2019
    I know you are probably exaggerating, but if he had lost it and thrown Haden through a window, he would most likely be homeless, penniless, possibly lost his family, and certainly wouldn’t be heading into the CFP as the HC of #1 LSU right now.

What happened to him at USC was wrong, but in hindsight Haden not hiring him turned out to be the best thing that could have happened to him.

18. BlemBlam

BlemBlam Junior Member

Dec 11, 2019
    Exaggerating? Moi?
    How dare you!!!!!

DaFireMedic likes this.
  19. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Dec 11, 2019
    I do although blame isn't the right word from my perspective. Each of us is responsible for how we choose to react to things, including disappointment and adversity. He was making good coin, doing what he loved, and was in a leadership position. I've had jobs where I was lied to, put in challenging situations, etc including some that resulted in my desire to leave said job. Had I ever behaved that way, I might not have found another job. It's a total lack of self-control and maturity.

Why is there no way in hell? Sometimes you suck it up, deal with your own pride or hurt feelings down the road so that a greater good or dependents can be better served in the moment. Ultimately it didn't hurt him since we can all see where he is now but yes, of course he could have chosen to coach that game.