Reports: USC keeping Graham Harrell as OC, looking to hire Todd Orlando as DC

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by ErikMcKinney, Jan 20, 2020.

2. TrojanRider4Life

TrojanRider4Life Junior Member

Jan 20, 2020
    Not sure why Helton would hire a guy that Texas just fired for it poor defensive performance.

oajr01 likes this.
  3. ErikMcKinney

ErikMcKinney Administrator

Staff Member
    Jan 20, 2020
    Orlando has done really well in his first year with veteran players at his stops. That's the recipe that USC would have for him to work with right now. Texas also dealt with major injury issues on defense last season, and Tom Herman really had to do something to show Texas fans/boosters that he was looking to right the ship.

I'm not saying Orlando is a slam dunk/homerun/whatever other sports metaphor you want to use. But there are some circumstances there beyond "fired Texas assistant."

4. AZUSCfan

AZUSCfan Junior Member

Jan 20, 2020
    Move over Western Kentucky, Texas Tech is our new farm system for asst coaches

5. allspeed

allspeed Junior Member

Jan 20, 2020
    Is that the best we can do? A one hit (year) wonder???? It is really quite embarrassing.

Oregon Trojan likes this.
  6. usc88

usc88 Junior Member

Jan 20, 2020
    Thor Texas guys love and know their football.
    It might be a good choice

7. TKnight

TKnight Junior Member

Jan 20, 2020
    This is proof that Claydough has no game in the coaching world along with Bohn. We hire second rate coaches and ones that were fired for poor performance. Unreal. Why not Kris Richard or Claiborne? Two young minds who would recruit and motivate players!

8. TrojanHorse

TrojanHorse Junior Member

Jan 20, 2020
    Sometimes it's a fit issue also. Justin Wilcox looked like a new man when he left USC and arrived at Wisconsin. let's hope that is the case here.

9. louiebag85

louiebag85 Points Member

Jan 20, 2020
    Lazy hire. He’s going to double up as LB coach. Whatever everyone on this staff is on a one year rental anyways. It’s kinda like SCs admin is just saying fuck it let’s see what happens.

TKnight and Merlin4SC like this.
  10. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Jan 20, 2020
    Is that why they fired him? And the fact is that most coaches get hired after they've been fired. If a fired coach never got a job, college football would have a huge unemployment population. And that's just not the case.
    Lazy? I don't think I would call it that. The potential pool of candidates is clearly fairly small. I honestly don't think there's a candidate out there that people would be happy with at this point.

Just4sc, SC200SC, KiwiSCfan and 12 others like this.
  11. 023lenlen

023lenlen Senior Member

Jan 20, 2020
    Herman also forced a change from their 4-3-4 to 3-3-5, TX didn't have the players for the new scheme.

12. The Lizard King

The Lizard King Junior Member

Jan 20, 2020
    Pete Carroll.
    :)

13. Merlin4SC

Merlin4SC Junior Member

Jan 20, 2020
    All these temporary moves might indicate that the master plan is to conclude the overhaul of the dept and then make another pass at Urban Meyer who would be more able and willing to take the job after another year off..... I mean could Bohn and Folt really have no future plans for football? That cannot be that callous about our once prideful centerpiece, can they? We can hope and dream can't we?

14. OrangeBill

OrangeBill Points Member

Jan 20, 2020
    I'm okay with Todd Orlando. He tends to turn his players loose and let them make plays. We had a first hand look of his style of defense against us two years ago. I don't know what happened or has happened at Texas. I understand they had a lot of injuries, especially in the secondary. If anything, expectations in Austin and the UT fan base are even higher than ours. Like Helton, Herman's seat is getting really hot; someone had to fall and it was Orlando then the OC. Hopefully, Orlando will demand the same control and decision-making authority that was ceded to GH. All in all, I am hopeful about this move as long as Helton shuts the hell up and stays away from actually attempting to coach,.

15. 3rd Slide

3rd Slide Junior Member

Jan 20, 2020
    I'm getting the same feeling that it's all starting with an internal house cleaning for Bohn.

And I'm ok with Orlando as DC too.

LDIABootney and gubo&palanka like this.
  16. GoSC1

GoSC1 Junior Member

Jan 20, 2020
    A one hit wonder Is better than a no hit wonder. This tells me that the plan is to clean house next year. Only need one year out of him. He turns in a good year at SC he helps himself. Looks like a win win to me

17. RB4SC

RB4SC Points Member

Jan 20, 2020
    Or...DCTO and OCGH have great years, SC players stay HEALTHY and fulfill expectations, Team wins games and CCG and Bowl game, and Bohn and Folt reUP for the current program because they don’t see it as BROKE...interesting possibilities in this ONGOING soap opera...in January anything is possible.

Fight On, FOREVER, Fight On!
    RB4SC

Redskins Rick likes this.