Report: USC to hire Graham Harrell as OC

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by ErikMcKinney, Jan 28, 2019.

1. fssca51

fssca51 Junior Member

WeAreSc Member
    Jan 29, 2019
    Look for a mediocre 2019 season. Mike Leach style offense is not going to produce a championship year for USC anymore than it did for WSU. What USC needs to remain on top is balls on the ground, not balls in the air. Air raid is a cover up for a weak OL.

2. SC200SC

SC200SC Junior Member

Jan 29, 2019
    Yawn....
    Seems like every thread goes to the Helton hate. Well, now recruits are leaving, and I place much blame on the fan base for making USC look like the last place a guy like Bru should come to. And lo and behold, a totally committed recruit leaves.
    I predict; should Harrell pan out, many of youse guys are going to say stuff like, "Just think how good Bru McCoy would have been in this system along side St. Brown."
    Yawn.

3. trjnfnz

trjnfnz Junior Member

Jan 29, 2019
    Yes Graham Harrell will have 100% total control of the offense including but not limited to choosing his QB and will be calling all of the plays. Harrell is not an OC in training like Martin was......GH is a proven OC and has succeeded everywhere he has been. So relax and enjoy what should be a bery hogh powered offense.

slystone72 likes this.
  4. Damien

Damien Points Member

Jan 29, 2019
    North Texas put up 44 on a vaunted SEC defense last year when they beat Arkansas. :) Positive hire and time will tell what he can do with our players.

Troy plunders and slystone72 like this.
  5. trjnfnz

trjnfnz Junior Member

Jan 29, 2019
    Our players are more talented

slystone72 likes this.
  6. Dude

Dude New Member

Jan 29, 2019
    I'm curious...with Helton so hellbent on starting JT Daniels, and if Daniels doesn't handle Harrell's offense very well, and Harrell wants to go with a different qb, will Helton fire Harrell, or will Harrell leave on his own? Just curious.

7. FTFO33

FTFO33 Junior Member

Jan 29, 2019
    Daniels ran a version of Air Raid in high school so the idea that he won't be able to handle it is a ridiculous concept in itself.

Hockey10, longshot10, SC200SC and 3 others like this.
  8. Boselli

Boselli Junior Member

WeAreSc Member
    Jan 29, 2019
    This is as good a place as any to spout my theory. Please bear with me.

I have been around since the McKay days and have wallowed in the student-body-right sty for a very long time. I wanted those days to come back and to see once more the execution of a fine tuned o-line flatting -- as a matter of course -- opponent linebackers five yards downfield. I dream of this muddy beauty often. However reality started creeping in as the NCAA and/or the PAC8 began to restrict the number of scholarships and the amount of practice time so that a dominating team like was to be no more. I have not gotten over it but I have gotten used to it. We will never go back.

So since I have to believe a turnabout is impossible I am pleased that Helton and Swann recognize this and are now pointing us to the future (even if we are a decade or so late arriving in our DeLorean). For the last two decades we have been sitting on the mother-load of air-talent while watching them come to USC with no real place to show their stuff or having them move as far away from USC as physically possible in the PAC12. The Palouse of all places.

This is the direction they have pushed and I am fine giving it a try.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
  9. USC15

USC15 Points Member

Jan 29, 2019
    Arkansas won 3 games last year...against the mighty Tulsa Golden Hurricane, Easter Illinois Jimmy G and Tony Romo, and Florida A&M. Wouldn't call beating Arkansas overly impressive but I am interest to see what Graham can do with JT, ARSB, Pittman, Vaughns, and lets hope Kyle Ford & Puka.

slystone72 likes this.
  10. SC1952

SC1952 Member

Jan 29, 2019
    Sears and Fink are not known as good practice players,something they would have to be to beat out JT. GH is going to make a decision on who can handle pressure, and runs the new system best in practice.

slystone72 likes this.
  11. flyerz73

flyerz73 Junior Member

Jan 29, 2019
    Even John Robinson I saw the need to evolve. That's why he brought in Ted Tollner from BYU.

slystone72 likes this.
  12. J4SC75

J4SC75 Junior Member

Jan 29, 2019
    Will we as fans handle this change? Michigan couldn't handle Rich Rod, who really was a very good coach.

13. J4SC75

J4SC75 Junior Member

Jan 29, 2019
    It will be interesting to see - the problem with Air Raid offenses, and they are not all alike, is that they often score quickly, don't necessarily use up the clock, so it's up to the defense to keep things in check. Look at KK and his demise at Texas Tech - couldn't stop the other team from scoring and the opponents had lots of time to do so.

Troy plunders, fssca51 and slystone72 like this.
  14. GoSC1

GoSC1 Junior Member

Jan 29, 2019
    I agree. Came to this realization the other day. Frankly am tired of it. Almost decided to leave the board because of it, how it was affecting me. I am normally a very optimistic, positive guy. The season and the Helton decision soured me to the point where I didnt want to renew.
    But my wonderful wife knocked some sense into me by refusing my decision not to renew because she enjoyed our game day together. "It is what we do, a part of us."
    Very expensive attempt to convince her - I even bought Annual Passes to Disneyland to 'take up that time'. She didnt bite.
    As in religion, sometimes the convert is a stronger member than the one who was born into it!

So, I am going back to my optimism. My body and psyche cannot do this anymore (be someone I am not). I am praying that Helton proves me and many on this board wrong next season, and I will be at the Coli rooting for the team to do just that.

15. DaFireMedic

DaFireMedic Junior Member

Jan 29, 2019
    I’m going to take a different angle on this.

No, Air Raid is not going to produce a championship year for us next year. We have too many other issues yet to deal with before we can compete for titles. But it won’t be nearly the liability that our offense was last season.

WSU is a poor example, they are not a traditional football power and have never won an NC. It’s like using Stanford and Wisconsin as examples of a good power football teams that just haven’t been good enough to win NC’s.

Oklahoma would be a better example, had they had any defense to speak of they’d have played Clemson for the title. Offense was not one of their shortcomings, and they moved the ball very effectively against Alabama. Both Clemson and Alabama used some elements, including 4 verts both last year and this year. Both the Chiefs and Rams used Air Raid hybrids in the NFL this season with great success.

Emphasizing the run is not necessarily the ticket to championships. But you must be able to run the ball effectively, and Air Raids have shown that they can do that quite well. And they have been far more balanced than people seem to think. And just because you run an Air Raid doesn’t mean you can have a weak O-Line. It doesn’t matter what you offense you run, a good O-Line is critical.

We may be mediocre next season, but it won’t be because of the Air Raid.

Troy plunders, Cyrus and slystone72 like this.
  16. GoSC1

GoSC1 Junior Member

Jan 29, 2019
    Our D is better than Texas Techs. It is different playing D knowing that you cannot be aggressive because the offense is inept. If our O would have been prolific, Clancy's D would have looked better because aggressive play is part of his game - but with aggressive play - sometimes you get burned - which we did. Problem was, our O could not respond.

Troy plunders, 559er and slystone72 like this.
  17. USCTFL

USCTFL Junior Member

Jan 29, 2019
    Maybe the SC Air Raid offense can evolve into the "Warthog Offense". Support the ground game with devastating air support.

Troy plunders likes this.
  18. Merlin4SC

Merlin4SC Junior Member

Jan 29, 2019
    Women and children should leave the room before this post is read- this is prolly going to be my worst rant ever - apologies in advance,.....

NOT A FUCKING THING -- anymore questions? I am beyond fed up with this goddamn dumpster fire, and if this prevents the firing of Hell-ton, then I may just spend my time playing golf on Saturdays this year. I don't need the lying aggravation and bullshit from the likes of Hell-ton. I actually don't even care if this is yet another spastic feint move to avoid losing more recruits on signing day, which is what KK appears to have been.

Why not happy with this? BECAUSE some IDIOT in HH wants to run an "Air Raid" offense with very few receivers left after his coach paid lip service to us about a power running game for 3 incompetent years. And why? To keep his lazy azz fossil of a pathetic excuse of an O line coach buddy around. I mean who has done more damage to SC Football since Monte Kiffin? Maybe that's what "Faith, Family, Football" meant... Idunno, but I don't think we could have made a more pathetic flailing attempt at strategy, and we deserve to fall on our stupid faces after this.

We all sit back and guess about why we are hamstrung and cannot hack our way out of a wet paper bag in this dumpster fire of a program and get headed back to "greatness." It doesn't seriously / rationally seem to be about counting beans, when these moves have guaranteed a shrinking program, whereas hiring a coach worthy of a top 5 program would obviously keep butts in the seats and fund a first class recruiting effort. NOPE, that's not it. I don't think it's a matter of beans.

The reality is that we created a circus atmosphere and Haden was too fucking toxic for any decent coach commensurate to the task to work here. And now Swann is carrying on that same lunatic legacy as we embarrassingly flail our way to signing day. Yes, this is worse than end of Hackett days and I have not witnessed a crap show like this here at SC ever. Some of us warned and warned and warned this day was coming if we kept wasting talent and paying some asshole $65,000 a week who doesn't know the fucking game. And that's on top of the previous circus with Coach O and Cutty Sark, which followed the insane cronyism of Lame and daddy. Why the fuck is simple competence too much to ask for such an expensive and important enterprise? Imagine if NASA did this shit...

PS; beware of what happens to us in inaugural games in new facilities.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
    Hockey10, Cyrus and slystone72 like this.
  19. RRDub

RRDub Junior Member

Jan 29, 2019
    Given that CCH doesn't allow his lineman any physical contact aside from Saturday's, GH will be hard pressed to match the performance of his North Texas squad. Words I never could have fathomed in years past.

Merlin4SC, Hockey10 and slystone72 like this.