Report: Helton to be retained

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by ErikMcKinney, Dec 3, 2019.

1. qqqqqqqman

qqqqqqqman Junior Member

Dec 3, 2019

Coaches don’t do that to other coaches: “Save the spot for me in a year....fire him next year and I’ll come.”

That doesn’t happen in real life. C’mon, mannnnnn.......

2. Jpltrojan

Jpltrojan Junior Member

Dec 3, 2019
    If true, those attending a Bohn speaking engagement will hopefully ask him the tough questions. Start with, “what the pluck were you thinking when you took the SC job?”
    We already had two clowns...a third wasn’t needed

3. 101Coast

101Coast Points Member

Dec 3, 2019
    Until there's an official announcement Clay is gone.

One concern I have is Folt and Bohn may not get that USC is football, and while an 8-4 record would have been a great accomplishment at their previous schools, it isn't good enough here.

The other concern is the money people who may like Clay.

I think he's gone.

gubo&palanka likes this.
  4. t1104payne

t1104payne Points Member

Dec 3, 2019
    I really wish this were the case but there’s just too much info out there now about it for it to not be true. It’s being reported that the team has already been told that he’s returning but to expect coaching changes and an official announcement tomorrow. Not to mention pretty much everywhere is reporting it with confidence now and not just some single blogger hearing from his “sources.”

5. ether77

ether77 Junior Member

Dec 3, 2019
    If true, all this does is reinforce the idea that the USC “deep state” is alive and well and has more power and influence than anyone could’ve previously imagined.

New President, new AD...same mediocre, suck up, yes man, bumbling ass coach? Fishy as absolute f*ck. The powers that be clearly are pulling the strings behind the scenes. And it stinks to high heaven.

Butcher22 and gubo&palanka like this.
  6. racea911

racea911 Junior Member

Dec 3, 2019
    With Helton being retained in 2020, I say we just redshirt the entire program in 2020 and come back in 2021 with a new coach.

ConquerorSC and gubo&palanka like this.
  7. PVtrojan

PVtrojan Points Member

Dec 3, 2019
    Harrell will be new OC at UT. $ not an issue. Herman desparate.
    Fired DC as well as AD held gun to his head. Want Hermann in '21...sure. What plays will Gomer draw up. This will get a lot fing worse bro's. 90 at 9 tonight gomer buying

8. GoSC27!

GoSC27! Points Member

Dec 3, 2019
    Erik,
    I thought last year when Helton was given an extension, wasn't Clancy also given an extension. I think this is pertinent because if they did give Clancy an extension and they force Clay's hand to get rid of him, there is a buyout of his contract. I say this because if Clay is forced to revamp his staff, that means new contracts for incoming coaches. If Clay is eventually terminated, and the next coach does not want Clay's staff, we just add to vicious cycle of buying out contracts.
    Second, if Harrell does bail to another job, yes we won't lose money and maybe even make some money, but what are the chances we can find another comparable OC. That would mean Helton would have to start all over possibly finding a new OC, a new DC, and a new special teams coach. Talk about nickeling and diming, but it will start adding up.
    Finally, if true at what point does Bohn get a do over without consequences. I know he is 2 weeks into the job, but he knew the situation upon arrival. I am sure these questions/scenarios were brought up when Folt was during her interviews. It is just hard to see this scenario from a financial viewpoint. The numbers don't add up. And when it starts getting worse, Bohn is going to have to man up and be accountable for his actions. I don't think Clay giving him a game ball is going to be enough!
    Fight On!

Oregon Trojan likes this.
  9. racea911

racea911 Junior Member

Dec 3, 2019
    Let's bring in Del Rio as DC and Lane Kiffin as OC and watch them fight to become interim after Alabama destroys us.

Under Helton's coaching, Alabama scheduling USC is like USC scheduling UC Davis. Answer this honestly, do you believe USC has a better chance of beating Alabama or UC Davis has a better chance of beating a Helton coached USC?

10. GoSC27!

GoSC27! Points Member

Dec 3, 2019
    Not trying to question you, but who do you think are the big money people backing Clay? I know the box attendance/gate receipts is significantly down and will only get worse, I would be intrigued to know who are Clay's big donor sponsors? Just wondering?
    Fight On!

qqqqqqqman and gubo&palanka like this.
  11. PVtrojan

PVtrojan Points Member

Dec 3, 2019
    Not bad pal. Like over most BS so far

12. Lucky

Lucky Points Member

Dec 3, 2019
    This was a 7and 5 team that wound up 8 and 4 because of the OC.
    With all the returning players incl.
    Redshirts it should be better even with Helton but only if they get a new DC. The pac12 is weak.

zitorocks likes this.
  13. 101Coast

101Coast Points Member

Dec 3, 2019
    If there is an official announcement tomorrow it will be that Clay is fired.

You can't trust any news as every guy wants to be the first to report it so they "report" it not based on facts. There's really no consequence of this type of journalism. They put it out there and hope it sticks.

I don't know who Clay's agent is but they would be the people leaking info if they were told anything positive. So far all info have been incorrect so I would think writers are guessing.

TrojanFireHorse12 likes this.
  14. SCBirnkrant81

SCBirnkrant81 Junior Member

Dec 3, 2019
    Gomer has nine lives! He's on his third AD!! Somehow the bumbling fool stays employed and keeps on charming his way into millions of $$$ producing half ass victories with plenty of excuses after losses.

15. TrojanTracker1

TrojanTracker1 Active Member

Dec 3, 2019
    Clay Helton's time as USC coach is remarkably similar to that of Ted Tollner back in the 1980's (of which I had to suffer through, as I'm Class of 1984). Here are the similarities:

1. Both were USC's offensive coordinators that were promoted to head coach without having any previous head coaching experience.
    2. Both became head coach under unusual circumstances. Helton: Sarkisian's removal due to his drinking problem. Tollner: John Robinson's decision to join the USC academic administration as Vice President in charge of fund raising for the university.
    3. Both suffered through one embarrassing losing season. Helton: 5-7, 2018. Tollner: 4-6-1, 1983.
    4. Both had one Rose Bowl win with the margin of victory being 3 points.
    5. Both were given contract extensions immediately after the exuberance of the Rose Bowl win.
    6. Both were 0-2 in bowl games other than the Rose Bowl. (Helton's one-off interim coaching job in the Las Vegas Bowl is not counted here.)
    7. Both had neutral site loses to Alabama.
    8. Both had home wins against Utah State.

Tollner was fired after his fourth season after USC finished the regular season 7-4. He was booed off the field after the final game of the regular season, a loss to Notre Dame. At that time, seniors were introduced by the head coach after the game. When Tollner took the microphone to announce the seniors. the crowd at the Coliseum (I was one of them) relentlessly booed him before he could get a name out. He put down the microphone before announcing anybody and headed to the locker room. His firing was announced soon afterwards. He was allowed to coach as a lame duck in the Citrus Bowl, where USC lost to Auburn 16-7. So much for winning the last game for the coach! Final record for the season 7-5.

Will Clay Helton's fate match that of Ted Tollner?

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019
  16. TrojanFireHorse12

TrojanFireHorse12 Junior Member

Dec 3, 2019
    Someone is fucking about with all these source reports. How do they talk about or know that there will be coaching changes?...when Clancy is on the recruiting trail

The HH is in transition with a new AD and no one knows but Bohn, and his staff. Along with Folt, whats going on. That's my hope at least.

17. beeto

beeto Junior Member

Dec 4, 2019
    How
    and without lube.

If this is true....we will go through this next year again.
    While I don’t have the apathy most here have for CH keeping him is a mistake.

We’ve hit our celling with CH...what’s hes done here is the best he can do.

gubo&palanka and TXTrojan_itul1 like this.
  18. shc4usc

shc4usc Junior Member

Dec 4, 2019
    this week has been the best April 1st joke ever. We are being played and someone is laughing their ass off!

19. TrojanFireHorse12

TrojanFireHorse12 Junior Member

Dec 4, 2019
    Next year will be a bloodbath and JT will start instead of Kedon, once Harrell leaves