Ranking USC's most memorable basketball wins (from Rich Ruben)

Discussion in 'USC Hoops' started by ErikMcKinney, Apr 8, 2020.

2. BigDaddy

BigDaddy Points Member

Apr 8, 2020
    Thanks for including the quad-overtime game against the crosstown rivals in 1985. I was a junior at that point and just from a fan's perspective it was an exhausting game, I can only imagine how the players felt. Luckily the sweet taste of victory from that game lasted quite a while.

3. Trojack

Trojack Junior Member

Apr 8, 2020
    Don't forget the 46-44 win over UCLA at Pauley in 1969. Ernie Powell from the corner for the win. I remember being pelted with ice by all the classy UCLA fans.

Wilson Reade likes this.
  4. fansincearnett

fansincearnett Junior Member

Apr 8, 2020

5. fansincearnett

fansincearnett Junior Member

Apr 8, 2020
    I believe that was the game when coach Boyd was hit in the face by an egg that was thrown by someone in the ucla student section. I was the one shaking hands with coach when that happened.

Rodgarnay51 likes this.
  6. Conquestluvr

Conquestluvr Junior Member

Apr 8, 2020
    The 1969 46-44 game was probably my all time favorite.

Another was the 87-86 win at Pauley Pavillion the following year.

Henry Bibby, a 90% plus free throw shooter, miraculously helped the Trojans by missing two consecutive free throws in crunch time.

I have a very strange memory of actually shooting baskets down on the court after that game in an empty arena. I have no idea why or how this came to pass. I guess my dad must have known someone at the game with some clout who let me down there.
    Also in my top three is the win against Kentucky in 2001? that put USC in their only elite eight in 66 years.

Unfortunately, the disappointing losses far outweigh the great wins. There were so many of them that I have probably forgotten.

7. Merlin4SC

Merlin4SC Junior Member

Apr 8, 2020
    For me it was January 18, 2007, beating Lute Olsen at the Galen Center along with 9725 screaming fans, what a great time that was as we took down the Wildcats, but maybe it's because I was courtside in the first row that night, or maybe it was because Olsen was pounding on the scorer's table like he owned the place. Was great to send Olsen out a loser though - after all the pain he metered out in McKale Ctr.. I'm sure my other top 10's were prolly Henry Bibby the coach's team though. We were scrappy and tough minded back then and rarely gave up.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2020
  8. Trojack

Trojack Junior Member

Apr 8, 2020
    I was at that Kentucky game. What I remember most was hitching a ride from the hotel to the First Union Arena with a bunch of Kentucky fans who chartered a limo. As I was getting out, they said that after they kicked our ass, they would be happy to give me a return trip to the hotel. Needless to say, they were nowhere to be found after the game and the police had to flag me down an off-duty taxi. It was actually a double victory because UCLA lost to Duke in the second game.