Playing an FCS team

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by Globe, Jan 23, 2020.

1. Playing an FCS team
    Globe

Globe Junior Member

Jan 23, 2020
    Oregon’s playing North Dakota State next season. Can some explain how that’s less admirable than playing New Mexico, Rice & Nevada, like we are over the next couple years?

2. GoSC1

GoSC1 Junior Member

Jan 23, 2020
    It’s all about perception. The FCS schools are PERCEIVED to be lower tier schools, which translates into lower skilled players and easier to beat. It doesn’t matter if they are actually at the same level as the lower nonFCS schools.
    So if you play them it looks like you are playing cupcakes and such.
    It’s kind of like how teamsand their fans, that beat a Helton led SC believe that they actually just beat a Carroll led SC during the peak of his tenure. It’s hogwash , but, it’s the optics.
    I understand the reasoning behind playing a UC Davis, but I hate the ‘look’.

Peete2Affholter and OxyTrojan like this.
  3. 4thamp1

4thamp1 Junior Member

Jan 23, 2020
    There is a significant drop in size and speed in most cases between FBS and FCS players. This is Not a hard and fast rule but if you were to walk the sidelines you would perceive the differences. Depth and stockpiling younger players is also more likely at the FBS level with 85 full scholarships per year vs 63 for FCS schools.

The question is sometimes posed why North Dakota State should join a mid major conference and move up to FBS? Whatever competitive advantages they have at the FCS level would soon be vanquished by superior athletes and depth at the FBS level. Oregon should roll NDSU by four touchdowns because of their superior size, strength and speed with all else being equal.

4. AnArchitect

AnArchitect Points Member

Jan 23, 2020
    Last year Mississippi State played Abilene Christian.
    Seven years ago Abilene Christian was in Divison 2.
    8 time FCS champ NDSU is another story, yes. Playing them (or Appy State back when Michigan got ambushed on their own turf bwah ha ha ha ha) is a LOT different than playing Presbyterian, Abilene Christian, Incarnate Word, The Citadel, etc. But for every game where someone like UO is game to play the creme of the FCS, there's ten games where a Georgia or Bama is playing an Austin Peay or VMI.

5. SoCalN8tiv

SoCalN8tiv Junior Member

Jan 23, 2020
    North Dakota State is ranked 54th out of 768 schools covering five college football divisions. I think the Bison currently own a five game winning streak against FBS schools. North Dakota State = POWER 5 KILLERS! Duckies are goin' down!

6. 4thamp1

4thamp1 Junior Member

Jan 23, 2020
    I like the Bison, and I hate the Ducks, but the talent gaps are just too much. NDSU is not playing Iowa State, Kansas or Minnesota. A better idea of how good Oregon will be with a new QB is the following week against the Buckeyes at home. Hope we can revisit this in September. Should be a helluva ride in 2020!

gubo&palanka and OxyTrojan like this.
  7. USCTrojan1990

USCTrojan1990 Points Member

Jan 23, 2020
    I hate USC's scheduling. We already play 9 conference games and ND every year with a home-and-home. There is no reason for USC to schedule away games at BYU or neutral games with Alabama. A home and away with Ohio State would be awesome. Instead we get Fresno and knowing USC they will schedule a road game at Fresno State next

gubo&palanka likes this.
  8. sctrojan2006

sctrojan2006 Junior Member

Jan 23, 2020
    FCS schools have much smaller rosters in number than FBS schools. FCS teams are capped at 63 scholarship players, and FBS can have 85 scholarship athletes on their rosters. The perception is that FCS teams are teams that are playing with one hand tied behind their backs, so it is an unfair match-up.

AnArchitect likes this.
  9. AnArchitect

AnArchitect Points Member

Jan 23, 2020
    Did not know about the roster disparity!

10. denali15

denali15 Points Member

Jan 24, 2020
    When have we scheduled Fresno on the road? We play them because Fresno St will take the check ($1.7M, I read someplace) to come here and not demand a home/home.

I get your argument that USC should ask donors to pay big bucks for the Haden PSL, C & G dues and spend an entire Saturday to watch UC Davis, but I'll never agree. CFP is entertainment, competing for dollars with other entertainment options. I prefer the old days, when we'd have our conference games, ND plus often another big game--like when we played Oklahoma, Nebraska in the 70s, Florida State...if we can't beat those teams, we don't belong in the playoffs.

You mention having 9 conference games. Aren't several of those cupcakes? Are you really afraid of having to play Ore St and Cal every week?

Lastly...if you watched LSU/Clemson, and your takeaway is that it's our tough schedule keeping us out of the playoffs...you might get your TV adjusted. We don't belong on the field with either of those teams. I think Utah caught a break when Oregon beat them and kept them out of the playoffs.

11. Jim Steele

Jim Steele Junior Member

Jan 24, 2020
    That's a nice sentiment, but SC does not need to (and right now should not) play those types of teams in its OOC schedule. If SC is undefeated, or has one respectable loss, and is the conference champion, it is almost certainly going to the playoffs regardless of schedule. Two losses and it's out – Regardless of schedule, and whether or not it's the Pac 12 champ.

There's no real reward for beating the big teams during the season, but losing gets punished. And since there no penalty for not playing them, there's no need to do so. Ask the SEC and ACC. They have it figured out.

Moreover, we have to play 2 of our 3 OOC games within the first 3 games of the season. And Stanford will be the other game. It's not reasonable to expect the team to play Oklahoma, Auburn and Stanford back-to-back-to back and come out unscathed. And then after that grueling stretch, stay healthy and keep winning conference games – especially during seasons where our BYE week is the last week of the season. I doubt that anybody schedules like that. The CFP voters won't see courageous scheduling, they'll only see a loss.

I'd just as soon have SC go undefeated (or maybe one loss), get to the playoffs, and then see if we can beat LSU/Oklahoma/Clemson, whoever. If we're going to play them, why not do it in the playoffs? Of course, we're a few years away from having to worry about that.

gubo&palanka likes this.
  12. denali15

denali15 Points Member

Jan 24, 2020
    We've missed out on more NCs because of our weak schedule than the examples you're citing. We even missed the NC game in a year when we were #1 in both polls, because of the weak Pac 12. Currently, the Pac 12 being in the toilet means that our SOS will always be considered weak. When 2 top teams play, one of them has to win...and that team gets a let up.

You're also ignoring that we pay big bucks to have booster seats, parking and, of course, the hassle of coming up from OC for a 7:30 PM game...only to play UC Davis. You like the ND example: getting into bowls they don't belong in because of a weak schedule and their name. Of course, they usually lose their bowl as a result.

Bottom line: I see USC FB as entertainment and, if we aren't very good, I don't want to be the CFP because we beat 11 patsies, only to get crushed by Clemson. Not seeing the glory there.

13. Arizona Trojan

Arizona Trojan Junior Member

Jan 24, 2020
    I'm okay with games at BYU. They at least have a large stadium that gets filled.

14. 4thamp1

4thamp1 Junior Member

Jan 24, 2020
    If you want to keep your fan base happy, schedule marquee games that garner national attention. If you want great recruits, play the big boys. If you want a chance at the CFP, do not count on your Pac 12 schedule to help you with voters. If you want to preserve hard fought tradition, do not schedule FCS teams. If you want culture change and 10 years of New Year's Day bowl games and invites to the CFP, hire Urban Meyer.

15. 4thamp1

4thamp1 Junior Member

Jan 24, 2020
    The 2008 team was loaded and had one bad half against Oregon State. I am convinced that 2008 defense would have throttled Florida and Tebow and won the NC. I'm still PO'ed about that Oregon State game more than the Texas game. The 2005 defense was frankly not that good.

16. Globe

Globe Junior Member

Jan 24, 2020
    But you're ok paying the big bucks & driving up from the OC to watch us play Rice? My point is a cupcake's a cupcake. Doesn't matter what division they're in.

17. Jim Steele

Jim Steele Junior Member

Jan 24, 2020
    The 2008 team would have been in a 4-team playoff. And should have been in the championship game that year.
    Back when only 2 teams played for the mythical championship. We're at 4 now and it's likely to go up. An undefeated Pac 12 champ will go to the playoffs, and in most cases, so will a 1-loss Pac 12 champion. I'm not saying we have to schedule New Mexico-type opponents, but scheduling should be done with end results and championships in mind, so if the first 3 games are going to include a good power 5 team and Stanford, the other game should be an "easy" game where the starters can get some rest and the backups can get some playing time.

gubo&palanka likes this.
  18. Globe

Globe Junior Member

Jan 24, 2020
    Whether tough non-conference games help or hurt your playoff chances is a crapshoot. It all depends on how things play out. Oklahoma played 3 non-c0nference patsies this year. If they'd swapped out Missouri State for somebody good they might've lost that game and not made the top 4. Conversely, Oregon opened with Auburn and lost. If they'd played Missouri State instead of Auburn they'd have been 11-1 and might've made the top 4.

Playing big time non-conference games adds entertainment value, but there's no way of knowing if it will help or hurt your chances of making the playoff.

gubo&palanka likes this.
  19. denali15

denali15 Points Member

Jan 24, 2020
    Not a fan of playing Rice either. One OOC cupcake is fine, but at least stick with FBS. There are enough bad teams to fill a schedule.

20. denali15

denali15 Points Member

Jan 24, 2020
    Making the playoff shouldn't be the schedule priority--not if they want to fill seats. Your Auburn example is a good won: Oregon had them beaten and blew it. Had they won, they might be in the playoffs. If they lose, why would they want to go, just to be blown out? It's a good litmus test.