Pac-12 players announce demands with #WeAreUnited

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by ErikMcKinney, Aug 2, 2020.

1. Rodgarnay51

Rodgarnay51 Junior Member

Aug 3, 2020
    I get that. I'm not dismissing anyone's humanity nor would I ever. Perhaps I should have edited the sentence further - "We're not your entertainment." If football wasn't entertaining fans wouldn't watch it, and there would be nothing to discuss.

jjg4sc, gubo&palanka and Tod78 like this.
  2. Trojack

Trojack Junior Member

Aug 3, 2020
    Yeah, you pretty much ARE entertainment and your compensation is your scholarship. Being an entertainer and a human being are not mutually exclusive.

16/56, jjg4sc, AMLTrojan and 4 others like this.
  3. denali15

denali15 Points Member

Aug 3, 2020
    It's true, tho. I'm not paying C & G fees and a PSL for any reason other than entertainment. If they think they are contributing anything else to USC, I'd like to hear what it is.

16/56, OC2SC, gubo&palanka and 3 others like this.
  4. denali15

denali15 Points Member

Aug 3, 2020
    You're kidding, right? In many schools sports is a loss leader. USC would do just fine without sports, which the current administration seems to want anyway. USC gets billions in contributions. Sports donations are a pimple in USC's behind.

5. Troianus Acies

Troianus Acies Junior Member

Aug 3, 2020
    Another "American Institution and Sport" under attack by left wing, utopian, radicals. If there are plausible reasons to turn college athletes into paid players (which they already are), or use a college football team to promote social justice warfare, or to make political statements with demands on colleges and the general public, or change from a collegiate team sport into a social activist group then let the athletes create their organization to do whatever they wish but,...since they opt for a S.J.W. organization stance instead of honoring their athletic scholarship agreement, they should no longer be on the football team or receive a scholarship.

There are always multiple ways to address grievances that range from peaceful presentations for reform or change, including lawsuits, to socially disruptive actions and bad behavior that can easily end up being riots and chaos. There has been ongoing propositions for paying college athletes and other collegiate sports changes buy many people concerned with college sports. These same people have the right to petition for signatures, get on a public soapbox and state your case, organize a lawful and peaceful group of supporters that want to assist in presenting the changes they are asking for, with holding contributions or support for the collegiate sport community, and a host of other legally accepted methods of creating changes or voicing ones ideas of changes to be made.

The problem recently is that there has been this ridicuulous and stupid idea that outrageous demands of any kind from any group can be visited upon any entity without following the rule of law, prescribed peaceful methods to create change, or actually realizing any consequences to their actions or stance taken. Everything today is WE DEMAND OR ELSE! with never a thought about what that may cost you as a supporter of any given cause. If I openly supported a group that felt thy should be able to practice nudity anywhere they wished and said I would walk around naked to do so...I would probably be arrested, jailed and fined, along with being marked and ostracized as one of those "Naked World" supporters. A lot of today's youth never think about the consequences of their actions and only about what it is they want NOW! If this sounds a little like an entitled spoiled brat attitude, you may be correct.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
    AMLTrojan likes this.
  6. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Aug 3, 2020
    Unfortunately, he co-signed ALL the demands, not just support for player health.

Let's be honest. This isn't about any other athlete besides football and basketball. "Feel this team and I." When it comes down to it, this is no different than anything else, self-preservation, self-motivation is the driving force, not any of this united stuff.

What player, ever, in any sport, really believed that their humanity was the primary driver for people to pay or donate in order to watch or enjoy? It makes no sense to compare one to the other i.e. humanity vs entertainment value anyway. And let's move on to which sports are primarily black. I guess hockey players have no humanity....or golf....or swimming....or tennis.....or baseball....or volleyball.....or soccer.....etc. Sports are entertainment. It's why they build stadiums and stands and sell food and merchandise. Nobody engaging in the process of watching sports, is doing so because of the "humanity" of the players.
    All male-focused. Can we stop pretending that this united movement has anything to do with any athlete other than football and basketball? If we are truly looking at how we live and what we say we are (which is bullshit IMO), then where the fuck were all these athletes to stand up for ALL other athletes, ALL other students. I don't recall ONE word from a USC football player about what the school did in regard to Tyndall. Not one. Because their fellow Trojan's humanity should matter too, shouldn't it? They don't care! Simple. So then, why should anyone care now, about them, when the best of them will go on to make millions?

PickSicx, OC2SC, jjg4sc and 6 others like this.
  7. Troianus Acies

Aug 3, 2020
    Thank you "uscvball",

The truth can hurt...and like it or not, this post will hurt the guilty whose mouths only wag when it benefits themselves

GLA4USC and gubo&palanka like this.
  8. Buck Dancer

Buck Dancer Points Member

Aug 3, 2020
    Tod78 hit the nail on the head.

Tod78 likes this.
  9. Cardinal&Gold

Cardinal&Gold Junior Member

Aug 3, 2020
    Screenshot_20200803-093715_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Unfortunately opportunist have always taken advantage of a crisis to push their agenda. Especially ones that have failed in the past.

Don't take it personal. It's how the game is played. Fortunately most of the time their efforts fail because a bad idea is a bad idea. People understand using a health crisis to strong arm a free society is a pathetic move.

BTW: Nogatiations 101. In order to strong arm your boss. You should be negotiating from a position of strength. You're not here. Every one of you can be replaced. There are thousands of young men that would take your scholarship and your roster spot in a min. As a paying fan. I root for the team. I don't care who's name is on the back of the jersey. If we win with Dave Smith or John Morgan It dosen't matter to me as long as we win. I'll prove my point. When you graduate I won't stop buying tickets. I will simply root for the next guy. Point is there is and will always be a next guy.

The SEC, BIG 12 and other teams in the south are going to play. So there will be football to watch. With or without you.

That's the fact jack!!!

*Refusing to play because you fear getting sick is one thing but adding other "Green New Deal" like demands cheapens your argument. If you get on board with this as written Id say you're hitching your wagon to a Yugo with 4 flat tires.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2020
    OC2SC, jjg4sc, Rigged4fun and 5 others like this.
  10. TrojanHoss

TrojanHoss Junior Member

Aug 3, 2020
    That's a lot of what being 18-22 and in college is all about. Who among us doesn't shudder at the knuckleheads that we were at that age?

11. Troy70

Troy70 Junior Member

Aug 3, 2020
    Without sports entertainment how many football & basketball players would be admitted? The gap between regular students & players have never been greater at SC in regards to gpa & test scores. BOT & Folt don’t want a athletic powerhouse so why donate to booster clubs?

AMLTrojan and gubo&palanka like this.
  12. Troianus Acies

Aug 3, 2020

Amen Cardinal and Gold...The truth is again hurting those who are ignorant enough to destroy what they have.

13. AlbertoC

AlbertoC Junior Member

Aug 3, 2020
    Out of 1000 NCAA colleges with athletic departments, only 20 were in the black according to a report that came out last year. That means 98% of them did not. College football revenues pay for almost every other scholarship athlete that attends universities and colleges (with the exception of basketball and maybe one or two other sports). Every D-1 university can exist without college football...there just will not be any money available for scholarship athletes in any sport....including virtually every female attending colleges on athletic scholarships.

14. Troianus Acies

Aug 3, 2020
    In simple terms...the "go screw yourself" insult applies to the butt-heads trying to kill the goose that lays the athletic scholarships.

gubo&palanka and Rodgarnay51 like this.
  15. Tod78

Tod78 Junior Member

Aug 3, 2020
    The problem is that there are two proverbial geese laying two proverbial eggs.

From the standpoint of the players, the NCAA athletic establishment offers an education that many of the players couldn't otherwise get, and for a very small fraction, the NCAA is the door to fame and riches in pro ball.

From the standpoint of the NCAA and the universities, the athletes are the key to this multi billion dollar enterprise.

Each side needs the other. The trite saying that really applies is "pigs get fat but hogs get slaughtered". Maybe a little greed is fine, but if you get too greedy it can come back to bite you in the butt.

The NCAA and universities have been raking in billions for years while the athletes can't afford a cheeseburger. If you get too greedy for too long something is going to happen. The players overreached with the demand for half the revenue, but players have been pushing back for a few years now, and the pushing is going to increase as everybody else keeps getting richer.

16. AlbertoC

AlbertoC Junior Member

Aug 3, 2020
    If NCAA schools were raking in billions, I'd agree with you...but as I posted above, the great majority of college athletic programs run in the red. Can some reasonable adjustments be made...probably, but unless they stop giving scholarships for virtually all women's sports (which Title IX would never allow), there is no way to even consider meeting the athletes' demands unless schools cut staffs in half and limit head coaching salaries to say $250,00 a year and assistant coaching salaries to around $100,000. Doable? Maybe..but it won't be happening.

BTW...your cheeseburger analogy is ridiculous. College football players eat better than probably 95% of Americans at unlimited training tables, and get a stipend on top of that. I hardly feel sorry for these kids.

17. Tod78

Tod78 Junior Member

Aug 3, 2020
    When you talk about "the great majority of college athletic programs" you assume that Alabama and Vassar are interchangeable. I'll grant that the Cal Tech athletic program doesn't make a lot of money, but that doesn't change the facts in the SEC, or Notre Dame, or the Pac-12. Among the power five conferences we are talking about billions of dollars all depending on the effort of kids who don't get paid for playing.

18. Trojack

Trojack Junior Member

Aug 3, 2020
    There might be some room to negotiate the "quid" and the "quo" but 50% is extortion, pure and simple. Obviously, they feel empowered by the times (who doesn't?) but empowerment doesn't last forever. This reminds me a lot of the 2003 grocery workers' strike. They asked for the sun, the moon, and the stars and the only thing they had to show for it was months and months of lost wages and the inability to ever play that hand again.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
    Troianus Acies and gubo&palanka like this.
  19. STRECKERmemo

STRECKERmemo Junior Member

Aug 3, 2020
    Perfect, lets see how that works out lol. Reading some of these posts better than a ticket at the comedy club. Yeah SC should recruit a bunch of slow guys and don't forget to get a couple of those that never played the sport but can buy their way in.

20. STRECKERmemo

STRECKERmemo Junior Member

Aug 3, 2020
    The low key racist comments on this thread perfectly in line with the idiot sitting in that house at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave. Most program Admin all across the country know who the student athletes are that bring in the millions to the schools that pay for many other programs. It damn sure isn't the golf and volleyball teams. Typical just shut up and dribble or run the ball bs from fair weather fans whose daddies probably paid their way in. With fans like this who needs enemies?

28thstreet, nvargas and Tod78 like this.