Pac-12 announces it will play conference-only schedule this fall

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by ErikMcKinney, Jul 10, 2020.

2. BarNone

BarNone Junior Member

Jul 10, 2020
    Dodged that bullet

gubo&palanka likes this.
  3. ErikMcKinney

ErikMcKinney Administrator

Staff Member
    Jul 10, 2020
    I don't know. New Mexico didn't even have one player on the first-team preseason Mountain West team. I think USC would have been okay.

4. usc88

usc88 Junior Member

Jul 10, 2020
    Actually this is the case a half a loaf is better than none.
    What can you do when there is a virus that can end it all?
    Lucky to be alive and can experience some games.

5. jpsocal65

jpsocal65 Junior Member

Jul 10, 2020
    Slovis dodged the biggest bullet. The Bama Dline would have killed the kid. Hope he has a great season and keeps his head on a swivel with our weak Oline blocking for him.

BarNone and gubo&palanka like this.
  6. KeenObserver

KeenObserver Junior Member

Jul 10, 2020
    LOL-Well played Erik

7. TheTrojanKnight

TheTrojanKnight Junior Member

Jul 10, 2020
    Ok let's be a bit less dramatic here mate COVID is in no position to "end it all" unless by "end it all" you mean "cancel the season"

User1234 likes this.
  8. Ron

Ron Member

Jul 10, 2020
    I don't understand how this helps our student athletes. If it's too dangerous to play non conference games, how does a conference-only schedule make it any safer?

9. ErikMcKinney

ErikMcKinney Administrator

Staff Member
    Jul 10, 2020
    I haven’t seen it stated anywhere specifically, but it seems as though the idea is that the Pac-12 can put in place specific guidelines for health and safety throughout the conference where every program knows the standards that every opponent on its schedule has been working with.

Boselli likes this.
  10. drheisenberg

drheisenberg Junior Member

Jul 10, 2020
    How can we possibly let young kids play a sport that leads to head trauma, paralysis, serious orthopedic injuries, occasionally limb loss when there is a virus that might give them a 0.0001% chance of death if they get it!!!

11. CFB Fan

CFB Fan Junior Member

Jul 10, 2020
    Also dodge BYU.

12. LaissezFaire28thStUSC

LaissezFaire28thStUSC Junior Member

Jul 10, 2020
    What if USC decides to play Notre Dame anyway? It's not a PAC12 game. They have no say so. USC started playing Notre Dame before the PAC 8 existed.

It's after the conference season, so they should play ND anyway.

13. BOULDER TO BIRMINGHAM

BOULDER TO BIRMINGHAM Junior Member

Jul 10, 2020
    I expect the next announcement from Larry and the 12 dwarfs will be the cancellation of the 2020 season. I suppose the fact that people in the players age group are more likely to die from the flu is of no consequence to these ignorant, leftists fools

gubo&palanka likes this.
  14. spintojoe

spintojoe Junior Member

Jul 10, 2020
    It is not an approach to life which is the problem. at least as far as this issue goes. It is your absurd ignorance and denial of the science and safety protocol.

You can do as you like, although your behavior can affect (infect) others.

Zinc and HCQ will not protect these young men from this virus, nor will it protect the people with whom they come in contact.

Like you, I would love to see USC football this Fall, but it must be safe for them.

The ventilator comment is irrelevant, but noticed. If you practice the approach you prescribe for these young men, you increase your need for one.

15. spintojoe

spintojoe Junior Member

Jul 10, 2020
    Actually, I have read extensively on this issue, including the French Study. FYI:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/15/health/new-french-study-hydroxychloroquine/index.html

The WHO stopped the trial and issued this:

https://www.who.int/news-room/q-a-detail/q-a-hydroxychloroquine-and-covid-19

From the CDC:

https://www.fda.gov/drugs/drug-safety-and-availability/fda-cautions-against-use-hydroxychloroquine-or-chloroquine-covid-19-outside-hospital-setting-or

So are you on a regimen of HCQ and Zinc? Bleach? Do not practice social distancing? Evidence is needed here; trust the experts.

Furthermore, do you have children? Would you be ok with it if they practiced your 'prophylactic' for our enjoyment at their risk, or are you only willing to risk other people's children in order to bring on 'Bama? Neither the CDC nor the WHO recommends HCQ as a treatment for nor preventative measure for SARS-CoV-2. Please do not take it and please do not recommend it to others.

16. spintojoe

spintojoe Junior Member

Jul 10, 2020
    Science is not partisan, it is simply evidence based, You have cited partisan sources which are not science based. Dr. Oz (who has no expertise in virology) and Laura Ingraham (not a doctor) and guests are not reliable sources when compared with the conclusion from the New England Journal of Medicine:

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2012410

By the way, please be careful in following Dr. Oz. He has a stake in unproven remedies and products and gives non-scientific advice.

You can find an online source to support any position you desire, but the scientific consensus is clear: HCQ is effective in treating autoimmune disease and malaria, and not against SARS-CoV-2. This is not about being liberal nor conservative, it is about health.

My initial post was intended to call out the glib and callous post, which claimed these young men should risk their health and that of anyone with whom they come into contact, and play while taking a regimen which has no basis in medical science. Will you entrust yourself and family to that?! I hope you do not.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2020
    Buck Dancer and miker1 like this.
  17. LaissezFaire28thStUSC

LaissezFaire28thStUSC Junior Member

Jul 10, 2020
    My post cites a number of doctors who disagree with what you claim is "science." You can find more doctors online who believe HCQ is a good treatment for the China virus than what I cited. Your statement ". . . a regimen which has no basis in medical science" is false according to a number of doctors, including a few I cited. I differentiated two so-called studies that weren't that scientific.

It's OK to disagree or have a different opinion. But don't claim your opinions are "science" when they're just opinions. Your argument would be more honest if you just said you disagreed with those doctors who support giving HCQ to China virus patients, and chose to agree with two studies I believe are flawed that claimed the opposite.

But here's the real test. If you received a positive diagnosis of having the China virus, would you ask your doctor for the HCQ, Zinc, Zpac combo on the spot even before you had symptoms? I'll go first: absolutely.

KnightsWhoSayNi likes this.
  18. TrojanHorseshoe

TrojanHorseshoe Junior Member

Jul 10, 2020
    Guy has 9 lives lol. First Sam saves him, then Swan, then Folt, now Corona!