OTD (Sept. 9) - USC's legendary 1972 team starts with a bang

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by ErikMcKinney, Sep 9, 2020.

2. Troy70

Troy70 Junior Member

Sep 10, 2020
    Did any SC team have more players play in NFL?

gubo&palanka and Rodgarnay51 like this.
  3. Rodgarnay51

Rodgarnay51 Junior Member

Sep 11, 2020
    I remember watching the College All-Star game, and players from that SC team comprised the entire offensive line, including the tight end. They were so good! They had great players just waiting their turn. The defense didn't have as many big names (I believe Richard Wood was only a sophomore), but they were smothering. That was the greatest SC team I've seen, on a par with some of the best Alabama teams of recent years. They could be a little bit off and still win handily, and I loved the drubbing they gave Ohio State in the Rose Bowl.

4. GLA4USC

GLA4USC Junior Member

Sep 11, 2020
    Against our strongest 1972 opponents (Arkansas, UCLA, ND, and Ohio State), the games stayed sort of close for a half or so, but even those turned into blowouts before ending. The other games, except with Stanford, were so lopsided that they really were (sorry, folks!) almost boring. The team's depth was so great that our subs were (at most positions) close to a match for the starters. When the third quarter rolled around, and McKay started flooding the field with hungry, fully-rested replacements in clean uniforms, even our best competition folded like a cheap suit. By the way, even that 9-point win at Stanford wasn't as close as the score. That was our mail-it-in Saturday. The 1972 USC squad is a very worthy candidate for the best college football team for its time, ever.

5. Cyrus

Cyrus Junior Member

Sep 11, 2020
    Speaking of the 9 point Stanford win, Mckay really wanted to blow them out. He didn't like Stanford and the losses to Stanford the previous 2 seasons must have been unbearable for him. Now having his best team was a chance to get a blowout win. It was after this game that he made his famous "I would have liked to beat them by 2000 points" comment.

6. GLA4USC

GLA4USC Junior Member

Sep 11, 2020
    I never thought about that much, but if there's one thing that would have made '72 better, it would have been a major ass-beating on the Furdies, right there in Palo Alto!

gubo&palanka and Rodgarnay51 like this.
  7. Peete2Affholter

Peete2Affholter Junior Member

Sep 11, 2020
    I believe the late great Keith Jackson picked the 1972 Trojans as the greatest cfb team he'd ever seen.

Trojan Man 30 and gubo&palanka like this.
  8. ErikMcKinney

ErikMcKinney Administrator

Staff Member
    Sep 12, 2020
    He did. Good enough for me.

9. uscernie

uscernie Junior Member

Sep 12, 2020
    I was a junior at USC in 1972. Our quarterback was Mike Rae, the pride of Lakewood High School!!!!

Many are called. Few are Trojan !!!

10. Troyview

Troyview Points Member

Sep 12, 2020
    I attended that Stanford game as a student. The reason for the quote from McKay was a question by a reporter as to why McKay had Haden (in for Rae) passing in the 4th Q, bombs to boot, when the game was comfortably in hand. That was a very satisfying win after losing the prior 2 to the Indians.