OT - USC Students Deaths

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by mfortroy, Nov 10, 2019.

1. heyrev

heyrev Junior Member

Nov 11, 2019
    You two guys have it exactly right. I coached/taught HS kids for many years. In general, they have little capacity to handle adversity--another way to describe real life. The social system in which they grow up is designed to avoid/deflect problem solving. Parents absorb their challenges by defending them, excusing them, and advocating for them. Their schools protect them from failure. It's never their fault, and we call that "safety." Responsibility is simply the "ability to respond" but they aren't forced to make choices, good or bad. How are they supposed to cope with stress when they have no experience doing so? They move from pressure to despair quickly with little ability to learn what the process of adversity can teach them.

I used to tell parents: "Let them fail--it's good for them." Result? They'd report me to the AD.

PickSicx likes this.
  2. xuscx

xuscx Junior Member

Nov 11, 2019
    I would assume this is a Folt decision to send a the letter, thinking it is better to upset a few parents if the result is a discussion on drugs and drinking that might save a life or two.

3. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Nov 11, 2019
    I read this article a few years ago and it was pretty shocking. Two high schools in the Silicon Valley, Henry M. Gunn and Palo Alto HS, have (had) a 10-year suicide rate that is between four and five times the national average.

"Suicide clusters—defined as multiple deaths in close succession and proximity—feed on viral news, which feeds on social connections.....Starting in the spring of 2009 and stretching over nine months, three Gunn students, one incoming freshman, and one recent graduate had put themselves in front of an oncoming Caltrain....All day long, kids at Paly could get updates from Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter. By second period many already knew it was the Caltrain, again. That day, like every day, you could hear the train from most of the classrooms, passing every 20 minutes or so. That day, one student later told me, the warning whistle seemed like the cannon that goes off in The Hunger Games every time a kid dies"
    https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2015/12/the-silicon-valley-suicides/413140/

The expectation of perfection/achievement, combined with the pressure of college and the access to all things via social media, makes for a dangerous situation.

4. redondob

redondob Junior Member

Nov 11, 2019
    I sat next to a student at a luncheon for current students earning scholarships. In discussing social life he casually said that a weekend could be measured by the number of "transports." When I asked what that meant he said it was the number of students who had to be transported to the hospital for drug or alcohol reasons.
    As long as I can remember college students have gotten drunk. I don't think it's possible for current students to drink more than we did. However, I don't remember people dying or going to the hospital. There's obviously more to this tragic change.

5. SouthbayTrojan91

SouthbayTrojan91 Junior Member

Nov 11, 2019
    That is not actually on the 110 freeway.
    Obviously not somewhere anyone should be walking and nothing good happens at 2:45am but those fast lanes are on the surface street.

6. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Nov 11, 2019
    This quote is more specific...

"At around 2:45 a.m. Saturday, Matthew Olson from Newport Beach was walking in traffic in the southbound 110 Freeway at 37th Street, according to California Highway Patrol, when he was hit by a Toyota C-HR."

7. aimeedee

aimeedee Points Member

Nov 11, 2019
    Excellent points, except I disagree with the idea that they are turning to suicide as a solution because of the examples left by celebrities. Suicidal people simply aren't in a mental state to make rational decisions.

Also, I suspect most of these are due to drug dependencies that were likely initiated by legitimate use for wisdom teeth removal etc. Opioid addiction is so frightening because it is insidious.

8. Tusc2000

Tusc2000 Junior Member

Nov 11, 2019
    Actually, some of the large tech employers like Google do ask to see the numbers-- and there are those do not hire students who have under a 3.5 or 3.6 GPA. Sadly, not all students grasp there are often better options, besides these well-known companies to work for. Google, Facebook, Amazon (or P&G, IBM and Disney in my day), they're not for everyone. Many kids are competitive and get their self-worth through metrics -- their grades, SAT scores, their salaries, etc. Eventually they will figure all this out, but a lot of students are having depression when things don't go their way, and have trouble navigating. I'm not a shrink, but I sense a lot of these kids could sure use someone to talk to. The same thing was happening a few decades ago, but it does feel worse now.

9. Rodgarnay51

Rodgarnay51 Junior Member

Nov 11, 2019
    That is not new.

10. PickSicx

PickSicx Junior Member

Nov 11, 2019
    I don't think anyone consciously says, "Well, if it was good enough for Robin Williams, then it's good enough for me" -- but there has been a massive cultural shift in the way people think about suicide. It's no longer a thing that happens in silence with nobody talking about it. As it has become more common, particularly with the landslide of celebrities that have taken their life, you have a greater number of people who consider it among the options that they can exercise.

25 years ago, if you surveyed a group of 18 year olds and asked, "Is suicide ever a viable option if things get bad enough", you'd have been shocked if 10% said "Sure". Now, that rate would be 3 or 4 times higher. In other words, the number of people who say, "Yeah, that's one way of dealing with stress and crisis" is significantly higher. This mirrors the movement in public sentiment over physician-assisted suicide for terminally ill people. "If they want to take their life, it's their "right". Who am I to judge."

So while people may not be consciously copying Kate Spade or Anthony Bordain, their worldview is being impacted by these events. With each successive news report of yet another, there is a corresponding decrease in our collective sense of shock. People don't say, "How could this have happened?" anymore. They say, "Well, there goes another one. So sad." It's a symptom of a larger societal shift toward nihilism.

Couple that with the fact that every general measure of resilience that is take shows that the emerging generation of adults has limited capacity to deal with stress, and you've got a very toxic combination.

11. JC SOXX

JC SOXX Junior Member

Nov 11, 2019
    Serotonin levels fall when you stress to much. Go see a Doctor they will fix the problem not mask it.

12. Trojack

Trojack Junior Member

Nov 11, 2019
    I worked and taught in healthcare for over 40 years and other than post-graduate programs, NOBODY ever asked to see your college transcripts. If you had a professional license, that is all they asked for. But that being said, it's hard for today's students not to think in metrics because everything about a class must be reduced to some sort of metric according to university policy. It used to be, you could write a very broad course syllabus and play everything else by ear. Now, you have to have metrics for everything in the syllabus and the subject matter almost becomes secondary. In a lot of cases, we created the monster, not society.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
  13. Trojack

Trojack Junior Member

Nov 11, 2019
    Unlike in our day where our drinking took place over a period of hours, these kids are spiking their blood alcohol levels quickly through different types of contests and by masking it with other substances (i.e. jello) which makes it go down easier. It's the spike that is causing the transports, not the overall amount. Also, unlike our generation, a lot of these kids are already on psychotropics and/or ingesting large amounts of THC which is now readily available.

14. Jay4usc

Jay4usc Points Member

Nov 11, 2019
    I remember my senior year a Chinese student jump out of the Kaprielian Building because he received a B or C and was afraid to face his parents. So sad what many of these international students are under pressure
    someone told me the new drug college kids are using will put you close to death experience. Plus all these synthetic drugs being sold in the streets are causing zombie type highs which may explain why someone is walking on the frwy at 2am.

USC is getting slammed with bad luck!

15. DavidW

DavidW New Member

Nov 20, 2019
    Sad story folks. There are a lot of reasons for all this death. Some of this shit is caused by drugs. They would better spend time on reading and stuff like that. I don't know is papersowl reliable but this review is much better to read carefully. Maybe you would find a way to make your education process a little bit easier. It is always better to spend time and money on education and reading related to those reviews rather than on useless or dangerous stuff.

16. SCnAZ

SCnAZ Junior Member

Nov 20, 2019
    So very sad to lose Trojan family member’s

17. AnArchitect

AnArchitect Points Member

Nov 20, 2019
    They don't just take it to focus more, which it does help with. But they primarily take it because it's speed.
    It was especially prevalent, even 20 years ago, in Architecture school because of the insane time demands.
    But architecture students don't have the same free time in which to drink as your typical undergrad does.

No matter what the cause - misadventure, suicide, it doesn't matter this is all very tragic to see happen. My thoughts - and I'm sure everyone else's - go out to the entire USC community.

18. AnArchitect

AnArchitect Points Member

Nov 20, 2019
    The article Area51 posted said about six.