Optimism increasing for football this fall

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by ErikMcKinney, May 20, 2020.

1. KeenObserver

KeenObserver Junior Member

May 27, 2020
    I’m a home brewer and dislike cardio as an event. I have gallons of great craft brew in my garage I’m trying not to drink, I love basketball and miss my Saturday game. I’d even do it in a mask, but I committed myself to jogging the two mile route I’ve mapped up in my village. It has 6 pretty challenging inclines so it feels longer. I do that every other day, and the other days I do four rounds on the heavy bag and then some awful attempts at my floor to ceiling bag. I do weights almost everyday broken down by body part. Not too heavy anymore, but no pussy weights either.

the big thing is no sweets. Just avoid them wholesale and no processed microwaveable shit. All prepared meals and some good smoothies. Costco cooked beets are great in smoothies.

2. Peete2Affholter

Peete2Affholter Junior Member

May 28, 2020
    I once cut soda (and carbonated drinks in general) out of my diet, with really no other modifications - I was still eating ice cream (my biggest weakness), eating burgers and fries, and just still generally following an All-American diet of fried foods, processed meats, and sweetened beverages (just no soda) and still managed to lose 14 pounds over about 5 months.

I was also never a workout fiend (I'm guilty of what Ronnie Coleman said - errybody wanna be big, but no one wanna lift them heavy-ass weights!) although I would grade my gym efforts (cardio and weights) at a C+. Enough to not look like Apu from the Simpsons (skinnyfat with a pronounced belly).

Having a healthy, fit physique is truly one of the things that money cannot buy. You can hire a personal trainer, hire the best personal chef to make your meals, and even hire a personal life coach to keep you motivated, but ultimately, it is YOU who has to get on that treadmill, it is YOU who has to lift them heavy-ass weights, and it is YOU that has to not stuff your fat face with food and drink that make you fat af. So, whenever I see anyone with a great physique, I give them major props because I know to get and keep that is a very difficult thing.

3. KeenObserver

May 28, 2020
    Poor Ronnie Coleman. Dude is a mess from injuries. Of course steroids give you muscle strength that you joints, ligaments, tendons and nerves can’t support over time. Guy is paying a huge price for his craft.

CrownoftheValley likes this.
  4. ForwardUntoDawn

ForwardUntoDawn Points Member

May 28, 2020
    Because activity would require 20 year olds to stop playing world of warcraft, Fortnite, Apex Legends, League of Legends, and go excercise.

That's like work.

People convince themsevles that everyone who is fat has a medical condition. But if you ask them to go outside and go run and stop eating sugar all day they look at you like you are insane.

DaFireMedic likes this.
  5. DaFireMedic

DaFireMedic Junior Member

May 28, 2020
    “I didn’t fill him up with butter and sugar and forbid him to exercise....”
    - Dwight Schrute, The Office

6. Sam Bam

Sam Bam Junior Member

May 28, 2020
    Similar story - 56 years old and on March 9 I was 226 at my Dr's office. 10 days ago 196 but now plateaued. Two birthdays and one anniversary came with a little cake and beer/wine. I find writing down what I ate means eating sweets is harder to justify and if I do I have one cookie not four.

It is easy to let it get away from you. I didn't have kids until I was 40 so the last few years it just got away further then I ever thought for a guy who has run 4 marathons. Now it's bike riding. The fight down to 196 has felt great. The plateau sucks. A little regroup and push it down to 180!

Edit - my other secret weapon is yard work / gardening. You can burn up to 300 calories per hour. I must have hauled at least 1000 lbs of rocks from parts of my yard to make a rock wall to stop some erosion on one corner of my yard.

Last edited: May 28, 2020
    August West and CrownoftheValley like this.
  7. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

May 29, 2020
    The older you get, the less this will happen. Processed food and especially sugar will not go away once you get to a certain age and it won't matter how much exercise you get.

If you are an ice cream junkie, try Enlightened brand.
    [​IMG]

I will testify that the Chocolate Peanut Butter, Mint Chocolate Chunk, and Coffee and Cream taste like regular ice cream.

8. August West

August West Points Member

May 29, 2020
    Apparently you haven’t tried Blue Bell.

Bliss.

upload_2020-5-29_13-11-37.jpeg

9. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

May 29, 2020
    I'm sure it's great. My recommendation was more about the taste along with the health factor. That Blue Bell has 21 grams of carbs and 18 grams of sugar for just 1/2 a cup. Enlightenment PB Chocolate has just 8 net carbs and 4 grams of sugar. They have a chocolate glazed donut ice cream that has just 1 net gram of carbs. One! That's why I can pass on Blue Bell. I would however, make a blackberry cobbler straight up.

10. norcalsurfer

norcalsurfer Points Member

May 29, 2020
    I have pre-diabetic conditions and I am dangerously playing with my blood sugar level. Never thought I would see the day where 18 or 4 grams of sugar would be a dealbreaker for me.

And now I'm craving some Salt & Straw.

11. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

May 29, 2020
    I tend to think that much of America has a sugar addiction. Reducing it is a good start at breaking that addiction. And then once you avoid the processed sugars, it's tough to have it again, it's too sweet.

For me the sugar and the carbs are a dealbreaker.

12. Peete2Affholter

Peete2Affholter Junior Member

May 29, 2020
    I have tried Enlightened brand, and you're right, it is pretty darn good.

Another thing I'm working on is cutting out cream and sugar from my coffee. Black coffee is.....definitely an acquired taste. That said, I have certainly noticed that when I drink coffee black, I get more of the energy kick from it and don't get that pronounced sugar crash an hour later like I did before when I'd load up my coffee to be almost as sweet as a hot version of a Mocha Frappuccino.

13. beeto

beeto Junior Member

May 30, 2020
    Ah......what’s going on here. I thought this was football will be back thread ?

14. DaFireMedic

DaFireMedic Junior Member

May 30, 2020
    Only if you learn to eat right.....

15. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

May 30, 2020
    [​IMG]

Plant-based, no calories or carbs, no sugar rush, decreased blood sugar and blood fat. One packet in your coffee should be sufficient.
    [​IMG]
    Less than one gram of carbs in a tablespoon. It's the flavored sweeteners that cause issues. I add spices to coffee if/when I drink it. Mostly just ground cinnamon.

16. KeenObserver

May 30, 2020
    Is it back yet?

17. SportsInformationDirector

SportsInformationDirector Junior Member

Jun 2, 2020
    Will TAF members be getting their money back if fans aren’t allowed due to covid-19?