OL is turning SC into No Run U

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by Troy70, Sep 21, 2019.

1. OL is turning SC into No Run U
    Troy70

Troy70 Junior Member

Sep 21, 2019
    Boosters in my section yelling ‘ Can’t believe we are negative yds running ‘. Are the last two DL s really good or we just bad? If our Line is bad why not put Stepp in more ? What is your take?

2. BarNone

BarNone Junior Member

Sep 21, 2019
    I remember the Michigan rose bowl with booty when the score was tied 3-3 at halftime. USC adjusted and only threw the ball in the second half and blew them out. Sometimes you have to play to your strength and last night out best unit was paired against their worst one.

GoSC1 and gubo&palanka like this.
  3. gubo&palanka

gubo&palanka Points Member

WeAreSc Member
    Sep 21, 2019
    The staff seems to feel the best time to bring in Stepp is at the end when the D might be tired and not be so interested in tackling Stepp.

There's a great photo of Stepp coming through a hole in the line directly at #13. He ran through the tackle. No way anyone wants a piece of Stepp.

But I wonder if using him earlier wouldn't soften the defense earlier.

racea911 likes this.
  4. GoSC27!

GoSC27! Points Member

Sep 21, 2019
    Actually we should be really grateful to Harrell as he has masked our Oline deficiencies and his system has allowed 3 QB’s to come in with very minimal transition problems. The only problem is we have 2 scholie QB’s left and 2 went down in the first 4 games.
    But to answer your question, this all goes back to Helton and his retention of Callaway. His tenure has set this program back and going forward. With Drevno he can only do so much. He understands our situation and is making Oline the priority in our 2020 recruiting. The problem is that even with the commits, it will take them another year to get seasoned. I was hoping Jason would get some playing time this time to aid us in the trenches next year!
    Fight On!

SouthbayTrojan91 likes this.
  5. GoSC1

GoSC1 Junior Member

Sep 21, 2019
    Makes a lot of sense.

6. DaFireMedic

DaFireMedic Junior Member

Sep 21, 2019
    I agree with taking what the defense gives you. But the lack of a run game really limits the offense. We have to be able to run if they key on stopping the pass or we will have big trouble.

7. dbw021

dbw021 Junior Member

Sep 21, 2019
    You do know that USC ran for over 175 yards against BYU? Utah is supposed to have one of the best defensive front 7's in the nation. They had 3 returning all conference lineman going into this game. The o line gave Fink time to throw the ball and in the 4th quarter when USC had to run the ball they did. Think about that for a moment. Utah had all these stud defensive fronts, yet USC was able to get two key first downs at the end of the game running the ball. We have been missing that for several years.

The o line has improved a great deal this season. They are well coached. You don't see them jumping off sides like they did last season. you don't see them missing their assignments like last year. There is a lot of problems on this team but the o line isn't one of them.

8. CoachRoy

CoachRoy Junior Member

Sep 21, 2019
    Stepp should be in front of Carr as Stephen has lost more than a step in the past year. Vavae is the starter, but I get if given the chance, Stepp would make us forget Vavae too!

9. SouthbayTrojan91

SouthbayTrojan91 Junior Member

Sep 21, 2019
    Definitely going to have to agree to disagree on that one.
    The OLine is THE problem we have on offense.

Linebackers are the problem on defense.

jjg4sc, SC93er, oajr01 and 1 other person like this.
  10. CoachRoy

CoachRoy Junior Member

Sep 21, 2019
    O Line is an issue every year and now we have a great Center for snaps but is getting beat up by 300+ LB nosemen! Stepp is the answer at running back. Carr needs to sit or run patterns out of backfield, too slow now!

11. TrojanHorse

TrojanHorse Junior Member

Sep 21, 2019
    Utah had the box stacked almost all night. That's why we could not run. That's also why we were able to torch them long.

dbw021 likes this.
  12. TroyBoy

TroyBoy Junior Member

Sep 21, 2019
    seriously??? everyone of the guys on the current line is superior talent wise to every recruit in next yr's class. If Drevno can't coach this group up .. which seems to be the case .. it's going to be a disaster going forward. My gawd - Drevno keeps saying this is the most athletic O-line he's ever had .. including the pros. Hyperbole? maybe, but we seriously SUCK!! The unbelievably vanilla run schemes that telegraphs every run and include NO optionality and are run in slow motion don't help, but we still SUCK WIND and Neilon is getting blown up most plays and our OTs are getting run around like their standing still. Krommenhoek totally whiffed on several blocks as well. All in all - TERRIBLE .. other than EFFORT which was good, but man are we BAD!!

13. GoSC27!

GoSC27! Points Member

Sep 21, 2019
    What don't you get? Because of our Oline that can't facilitate a run game, all we have left is to coach them to pass block. And even with that Harrell has installed a time clock in the QB's head of how fast they need to get rid of the ball before they get clobbered. Unfortunately the clock did not work for Slovis last night and had to be set earlier.
    As far as the recruits, they were Neil Callaway's kids. Yes they were highly rated coming in, but had poor coaching in Callaway. Callaway has set this program back more then the NCAA sanctions!
    Fight On!

14. old scotty

old scotty Junior Member

Sep 21, 2019
    Our center got blown up, second week in a row.

15. TroyBoy

TroyBoy Junior Member

Sep 21, 2019
    Quit making excuses for Drevno! He became the o-line coach before the end of last season and had them all spring and summer and fall camp. If he can't get experienced players coached up in that amount of time he's a failure as an o-line coach IMO. Like I said - the run scheme SUCKS and doesn't help things but that's not an excuse for them being terrible as opposed to just not being terribly productive!

gubo&palanka likes this.
  16. GoSC27!

GoSC27! Points Member

Sep 21, 2019
    Who is making excuses for Drevno? You can go back through all my posts, I have never given Drevno a free pass. My post was that Harrell is finally getting on the Oline and rightly so, because Helton won't do it. As for the Oline play go read all my posts for the past 3 years. I have been highly critical of the Oline. Greg was the only one that agreed that we would see a new QB by mid season and it wouldn't be because of poor QB play. Little did he know we would be going through our 3rd QB. If we cannot run the ball against UW it will be a long day as it was last night for the defense. Harrell is doing the best he can, but he also knew the Oline was the weakest link in the chain. Again, I love how he is stepping up and calling out the Oline play.
    Fight On!

17. GoSC27!

GoSC27! Points Member

Sep 21, 2019
    The offset is that at least he is making good snaps, go figure?
    Fight On!

18. Jay4usc

Jay4usc Points Member

Sep 21, 2019
    The problem is Helton is not playing the best RB on the roster. STEPPPPP!

gubo&palanka likes this.
  19. racea911

racea911 Junior Member

Sep 21, 2019
    Wow! You are as easily impressed by unimpressive stats as Clay Helton.

BYU's opponents so far this year.

Utah - 48 carries - 262 yards - 5.5 ypc

Tennessee - 49 carries - 242 yards - 4.9 ypc

USC - 45 carries - 171 yards - 3.8 ypc

Washington - 39 carries - 187 yards - 4.8 ypc

Clay Helton using this stat as a positive in his press conference is the kind of thing those that doubt Clay's ability to lead this team to the highest levels can point to that he is an everybody gets a trophy sort of guy.