O/NSO: Trojans finally "out-recruit" Oregon, then purge Virginia edition

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by Greg Katz, Feb 14, 2020.

2. motovich

motovich Junior Member

WeAreSc Member
    Feb 14, 2020
    Greg,

Are you daring to suggest that Bohn has stepped in to take control of the assistant coach hirings and to reorganize the recruiting infrastructure after the bowl meltdown and the epic collapse of 2020 recruiting, especially after Bohn made a fool of himself by passing along somebody's guarantee of 4 high level silent commits?

Rodgarnay51 and gubo&palanka like this.
  3. CrownoftheValley

CrownoftheValley Junior Member

Feb 14, 2020
    I feel more like Christmas came late this time... but better late than not at all.
    I can't wait for Spring ball after all of the defensive hires.

Rodgarnay51 likes this.
  4. gubo&palanka

gubo&palanka Points Member

WeAreSc Member
    Feb 14, 2020
    Interesting that Nansen wanted to stay on in a non-coaching role but was still let go.

Would he have been a good pairing with Donte for recruiting, or were his recent failures to bring in local talent too big to overlook?

5. SCnAZ

SCnAZ Junior Member

Feb 14, 2020
    We finally did something to stop the ducks from controlling things for the time being, at least. Let’s keep it up.

6. zitorocks

zitorocks Junior Member

Feb 14, 2020
    One correction Greg "Big" Katz...it's Aaron Donald instead of McDonald. But we all know who you were talking about.

I wonder if we will have some opportunities through the transfer portal due to some of our coaching changes (Donte for example)...and the changes on other teams (see Colorado losing Tucker). We nabbed both Bru and Steele last year...someone like Flowe could always come back to SC through the same process.

Rodgarnay51 likes this.
  7. Rodgarnay51

Rodgarnay51 Junior Member

Feb 14, 2020
    I agree. These assistant coaches are better than I could have reasonably hoped for.

8. Jim Steele

Jim Steele Junior Member

Feb 14, 2020
    Are these the NCAA 2-year rules you referred to? If so, it looks like the last one (13.8.3.8.1) would allow SC to hire Claiborne for 2020, assuming he is otherwise qualified.

13.8.3.5 Individual Associated with a Prospective Student-Athlete—Bowl Subdivision Football.

[FBS] In bowl subdivision football, during a two-year period before a prospective student-athlete’s anticipated enrollment and a two-year period after the prospective student-athlete’s actual enrollment, an institution shall not employ (either on a salaried or a volunteer basis) or enter into a contract for future employment with an individual associated with the prospective student-athlete in any athletics department noncoaching staff position or in a strength and conditioning staff position. (Adopted: 4/26/17 a contract signed before 1/18/17 may be honored)

13.8.3.5.1 Application. [FBS] A violation of Bylaw 13.8.3.5 occurs if an individual associated with a prospective student-athlete (see Bylaw 13.02.20) is employed by the institution and, at the time of employment, a student-athlete who enrolled at the institution in the previous two years (and remains enrolled at the institution) was a prospective student-athlete by which the individual meets the definition of an individual associated with a prospective student-athlete. A violation of Bylaw 13.8.3.5 also occurs if an individual associated with a prospective student-athlete is employed and, within two years after such employment, a prospective student-athlete by which the individual meets the definition of an individual associated with a prospective student-athlete enrolls as a full-time student in a regular academic term at the institution. In either case, the student-athlete becomes ineligible for intercollegiate competition unless eligibility is restored by the Committee on Student-Athlete Reinstatement. (Adopted: 4/26/17)

13.8.3.8.1 Contract for Future Employment.
    A member institution is permitted to enter into a contractual agreement with a high school, preparatory school or two-year college coach for an employment opportunity that begins with the next academic year, provided the employment contract with the member institution is not contingent upon the enrollment of a prospective student-athlete and the coach does not begin any coaching duties (e.g., recruiting, selection of coaching staff) for the member institution while remaining associated with the high school, preparatory school or two-year college.

9. Conquestluvr

Conquestluvr Junior Member

Feb 14, 2020
    Of course it would never happen, but my 2nd biggest football fantasy, following USC returning to prominence, would be Donte exposing illegal recruiting activities by the Ducks, resulting in the loss of 30 scholarships and a two year bowl ban.

zitorocks likes this.
  10. Bilbo

Bilbo Active Member

WeAreSc Member
    Feb 14, 2020
    Greg
    Any thought that if as you say the new assistant coaches have multi year deals that our AD already has the next head coach already picked out ?.. these hires obviously were made by MB
    .. I say 2021 there will be a new head coach unless a conference championship is achieved

11. 023lenlen

023lenlen Senior Member

Feb 15, 2020
    Its not going to happen, DW has a good relationship with the Duck staff; he's not going to throw them under the bus

12. Cyrus

Cyrus Junior Member

Feb 15, 2020
    if Nansen is hired as the UCLA defensive line coach, it should be noted that Johnny has never coached a defensive or offensive line in his coaching career.

Greg, I believe Nansen coached DL his first 3 seasons at UW.

13. TommyT

TommyT Junior Member

Feb 15, 2020
    I’m happy he’s here.

If Donte did that wouldn’t the ncaa investigate what he’s doing at USC?

If his father wasn’t ill and him wanting to be closer to home to take care of his family would we have been able to out recruit Oregon for his services?

14. Bored of Clowns

Bored of Clowns Points Member

Feb 15, 2020
    I remember a lot of folks getting excited this time last year with the hire (now newly-departed) of two coaches with Oregon State on their resume. We'll see....Gomer is still running the show, with Shrek and Donkey in the background.

15. IETrojanFan

IETrojanFan Junior Member

Feb 15, 2020
    Oregon, Texas, Virginia pedigrees, et al, are not quiiiiite the same as Oregon St... Until proven otherwise, I'm happy with the recent hires. They seem like a step in the right direction. In addition, while Helton is still in charge, he might have a tougher time than ever keeping his soft ways against multiple top assistants if they desire to do things differently this season than he did with the previous coaches who were from his own "coaching tree." I sure hope that's the case...

16. Bored of Clowns

Bored of Clowns Points Member

Feb 16, 2020
    I agree that Oregon St. isn't in the same class as Oregon, Texas and Virginia. However, Oregon, Texas and Virginia are not quiiiiite the same class as Alabama, Clemson, OSU, OU, LSU, Georgia, etc...."Multiple top assistants" is a true over-statement, in this case. As I said: we'll see.