O/NSO: The USC football Mount Rushmore series edition- The Tight Ends

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by Greg Katz, Jul 3, 2020.

2. AMLTrojan

AMLTrojan Junior Member

Jul 3, 2020
    Compared to some of the other position groups, I'm a bit underwhelmed by our TE candidates. Young looks like a clear Rushmore candidate, and Davis merits being in the debate, but I'm not convinced on any of the others when compared to some of the TE talent that's gone through other schools.

gubo&palanka likes this.
  3. Cyrus

Cyrus Junior Member

Jul 3, 2020
    We have also had some TEs who looked great as a freshman but somehow flamed out. e.g. Blake Ayles, Bryce Dixson, etc. Daniel I. is in that category but hopefully he gets some redemption this season (if it happens). Josh Falo is another one with one last chance. Will the 4th down catch against furd in 2017 stay the highlight of his career?

Last edited: Jul 3, 2020
    gubo&palanka likes this.
  4. 901 Club

901 Club Junior Member

WeAreSc Member
    Jul 3, 2020
    Not even an “oh, by the way” for Red Badgro, the only USC end in Canton?

5. SCnAZ

SCnAZ Junior Member

Jul 3, 2020
    Greg, as per usual, you hit a home run with those selection. It would be easy for me to say I agree and not have to research for myself, for the best tight ends in SC history. Sadly, I am old enough to have seen all of them in my lifetime, lol. That being said, I agree with all four of your selections, especially based on their statistics.

Greg Katz and 901 Club like this.
  6. Trojan YAF

Trojan YAF Points Member

Jul 3, 2020
    Marlin McKeever, who was also a defensive end, fullback and punter, would be my choice for the Mt. Rushmore of tight ends. Besides being a great athlete, he was also a great restaurateur who owned McKeever's Trojan Barrel on Figueroa and Exposition.

Greg Katz likes this.
  7. CrownoftheValley

CrownoftheValley Junior Member

Jul 3, 2020
    No arguments with any of your four picks... McKeever and Klein from back in the day were outstanding players, not just pass catchers.

8. Trojan YAF

Trojan YAF Points Member

Jul 4, 2020
    Another that was mentioned in the article was Jim Obradovich. He was known as "Jumping Jim" because of his tendency to jump offsides. When he jumped offsides in the 1974 Rose Bowl game, he nullified his own touchdown, which would have made our 42-21 loss to Ohio State somewhat less embarrassing. However, he made up for these transgressions by gaining hundreds of yards, scoring several touchdowns, and helping us to pay back the Buckeyes in the 1975 Rose Bowl.

9. Cyrus

Cyrus Junior Member

Jul 4, 2020
    I believe the same thing happened in the 73 game against Oklahoma. His TD catch was nullified by an offsides penalty in a game that ended in a tie.

Trojan YAF likes this.
  10. BarNone

BarNone Junior Member

Jul 4, 2020
    although not deserving of being on the Mount Rushmore, i've always had a soft spot for Vic Rakhshani who was the earliest H-back that i recall anywhere

11. Trojan YAF

Trojan YAF Points Member

Jul 4, 2020
    The 1973 Oklahoma game was the first one that I attended.